1940's motorcycle pictures of my family

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are really far out.

I cannot imagine the skill -- or maybe raw strength -- riders had to motor around with deer strapped to the rear fender, or dirt-tracking in sand dunes or the beach. Makes me look at my motorbike with ABS, heated grips, cruise control, fancy dashboard info panels, adjustable suspension, Bluetooth headset/microphone, and badass in-line 4-cylinder engine ......... and wonder how much I'd enjoy the ride in those photographs.

Honestly? I'd probably enjoy it just as much as I do today. (Two round trips to the office today, almost 60 miles of freeways, in perfect weather. Tonight's trip was under a bright half-moon, too)

Believe it or not, Hudson is literally in this picture! Can you guess where?
Inside the pregnant lady?
unknw.gif

I cannot imagine the skill -- or maybe raw strength -- riders had to motor around with deer strapped to the rear fender, or dirt-tracking in sand dunes or the beach.
I once saw Beemerdons on the back seat of a motorcycle. I think Bust was driving. JSNS.

That sand dune riding, though. And those guys had to ride with just the right hand holding the bars while they shifted with the left.

Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing. I have a picture somewhere of me and my grandmother on my 1976 Triumph . It blew my mind that she wanted a ride! She never even had a drivers license.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos, thanks for sharing!

My mom didn't ride but had 6 Nebraska farm boy brothers who did.

One picked her up from College at Christmastime and they slid into a ditch avoiding a truck on the way back to the family farm. They put the gas tank fire out...brushed themselves off and continued on their way.

I really enjoyed this. Thanks!
+1, Gunny; Fantastic Photos and Narrative, Thank You Very Much! JSNS, Classic Photographs and Super People!

My entire family were Indian Motocycle Riders/Owners. Between my Mom, my Dad, my Grandfather and my Grandmother: They owned ever model of Indian ever made, from the singles to the inline fours.

100_0665.jpg

Uncle Drew was "Black Sheep" of the Stanley Family: He loved Triumphs, particularly the Thunderbirds.

100_0664.jpg

My Family was so happy that I was a fellow motorcycle enthusiast, but they wished I had ridden Indians!

100_0668.jpg

+1, Gunny; Fantastic Photos and Narrative, Thank You Very Much! JSNS, Classic Photographs and Super People!

My entire family were Indian Motocycle Riders/Owners. Between my Mom, my Dad, my Grandfather and my Grandmother: They owned ever model of Indian ever made, from the singles to the inline fours.

Uncle Drew was "Black Sheep" of the Stanley Family: He loved Triumphs, particularly the Thunderbirds.

My Family was so happy that I was a fellow motorcycle enthusiast, but they wished I had ridden Indians!
But instead you enjoy riding cowboys! Awesome pictures man! (Except for the ugly bastard in the last one)

But instead you enjoy riding cowboys! Awesome pictures man! (Except for the ugly bastard in the last one)
Carl: On our way to Gathering of the Clans we're going to visit my 94 year old Mother Veda, I'll then post up pictures of her on her Indian Scout 45!

Also have pictures at the Family Home in Orange, California of my BSA Victor 441 Special and my Norton Atlas 750, with the Combat Hi-Po engine!

Last edited by a moderator: