1986 FJ1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richyzfr1000

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know where I could find a hard bag / luggage setup for a 1986 FJ1200?

I have seen them on other bikes but cant seem to find any on line.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

Cool! Retro sport touring! Gotta love it.

Good luck finding/fitting/color-matching hard bags. Not to be negative on a first time poster, but I doubt much of anything was available for that bike at that time.

Of course, with a little ingenuity, some paint work and a function over form mentality, just about any salvaged hardbags could be made to fit and function and look halfway decent.

Soft luggage was the order of the day back then. I had period correct Vetter Bagmans on my '84 FJ1100.

An old good friend of mine has an FJ - not sure what year, but well past the 86. He has GIVI bags on his - sidebags and topbox. Below are some pictures of his FJ with the GIVI hardbag mounting framework.

ValEricsWedding009.jpg

ValEricsWedding006.jpg

Rich, I might just have this for you, friend of mine was selling a Givi hardbag setup for a '86 FJ a few month's ago.

Here's my '86...

fatherson.jpg

I have used soft bags on my '86 FJR for years with good success, although I can understand why you would want hard bags. It wasn't until I got my '04 FJR that I realized the advantages of well designed hard bags.

There are some pictures of my '86 FJ loaded up from some past tours on my website at: https://www.robertmichaud.com/html/motorcycling.html if you care to take a look.

Also, while we are sharing, here's a shot of my two FJ®'s:

db_P10103851.jpg

Good luck!

Yup,,What them guys said :p :p I put a ton of miles(including a 10,000 mile 2-up 3 week cross country trip) on my 89 with GIVI bags and a top case..The Givi stuff holds up great.I dropped the bike a couple of times (dirt roads)and nothing broke.