1st farkle added

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcruiser(aka downn2)

Reaction score
Well, you all know the story about me being mechanically impaired, but regardless I decided to add a farkle,,,,GRIP PUPPIES......

While it appears to be relatively easy addon, let me tell you...those damn things are harder than HELL to get on....California Sports advise to use a little soap. I suggest you take the whole bottle with you to the garage. And oh yes, use liquid soap...the powered soap doesn't work worth a damn!!!

After much pushing and twisting and almost knowking the bike over, I got on on the throttle....but the damn think was sticking out a good inch or two past the end of the throttle.....hummmm

After some thought, I decided to cut the other one with a pair of scissors....and within 10 minutes or so, it was on and looked great....I put the flat (cut) end on first, so the tappered end would be on the end of the grio....But there was still the question of what to do with the extra length on the other one.....After much deliberation, I decided to trim it with a box cutter......that stuff isn't easy to cut, but I put a slice in it and decided to tear it like you would a wrapper on a pair of LiFESAVERS....well, that didn't work as I tore it too much......

I have ordered another pair of Grip Puppies.........AND THE BEAT GOES ON!!!!

If I have any more good tips, I'll let you know..Hardly wait to get my tools!

Starcruiser

Buy a spray can of old fashion women's hair spray, e.g., "Aqua Net." Spray the inside of the grip unil it's dripping wet. Slide the grip on the handlebar end. It should slide on quite easily. With a wet rag, wipe up any excess liquid. The remaining liquid will dry and adhere the grip to the handlebar.

Last edited by a moderator:
The throttle side is not easy to put on. What I did was soap up the bar (should have soaped up the grip on the inside), and when it was about half way on, fold over the end that was not on yet, continue to work the grip on and then unfold. What is happening is the grip is "gripping" the bar end and since it is the throttle side there is a lot of play. Eliminate the drag on the grip from the bar end and it is easier.

Mike

A little compressed air does wonders if you have access to good volume. Start the grip or grip puppy on, use your hand to clamp down around the end that's on, then use the air nozzle to 'inflate' the open end and as it balloons you will be able to slid it on more, eventually all the way.

+1 on the hair spray technique too, that works well.

The throttle side is not easy to put on. What I did was soap up the bar (should have soaped up the grip on the inside), and when it was about half way on, fold over the end that was not on yet, continue to work the grip on and then unfold. What is happening is the grip is "gripping" the bar end and since it is the throttle side there is a lot of play. Eliminate the drag on the grip from the bar end and it is easier.
Mike

Yep, I just lubed the hell out of the grip and Grip Puppy with some citrus degreaser. It still sucked to get on, but I put more on the throttle side than the clutch side and the throttle side was MUCH easier.

So +1 on the soap idea.

I also found out that twisting the grip (i.e. 'screwing' it on sorta) with a dry towel worked very well. The combo of that and the extra soap was my key.

:crazy:

Man - what do you guys eat, quiche? I let my Grip Puppies soak in hot water for a minute then pulled them on - no problemo (no soap, no hairspray, no sweat!). You guys need to start working out a little bit.

Hang in there! I give you credit trying it despite your self-admitted short comings.

Before you know it, you will be doing the Datel in the mirror mod or adjusting your valves