1st Pass Drag times

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetskibruce

Reaction score
It was a busy night at the track but I was able to make a few passes. My best result was 11.3 at 121 mph – so there is room for improvement. The 60’ time was 1.8 and that is where I could improve I think. Maybe, play with the shift points if I get relaxed enough to pay attention.

FJRDrag2013.jpg

There were two V-Max bikes there running together that did well also. One was a 2009 who had a slightly better time that I but much more mph 128 and the end of the run. Displacement, displacement, displacement. I did about the same from what I could tell as the earlier bike.

I did video most of the runs, but it is boring and I haven’t pulled it off the camera yet.

I need better clutch control for the launch. Small wheelies ok, big ones require throttle reduction required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere in this joint is a comprehensive writeup by Useless Pickles when a few of us hit the track 2 years ago..

Somewhere in this joint is a comprehensive writeup by Useless Pickles when a few of us hit the track 2 years ago..
Ok, I found that thread - search finds so much but the key was Useless Pickels and 2 years ago.

Yep, the video is like mine except it was dark last night
rolleyes.gif

Good to see I'm in the ball park any way.

I would have done pretty well against the 2009 V-MAX except he red lighted each time - so I guess I "won" on a technicality.
mda.gif

Of course he still would be pulling away at the end heh.

Pretty good run there. Wonder if anyone has ever strapped an FJR. This should knock a couple of tenths off.
That experiment might not be too hard to do, but I do like running in street configuration, even if I did leave the bags at home.

Do you think you could get close with some special suspension settings?

I wonder if removing the windshield would help. You know it's just never enough. Any nitrous kits for the FJR? Wheelies in 3 gear anyone?

I had only done the 1/8th mile run back when I lived in TX and my time was about identical to yours on a stock '04. Launching the Gen 1s is tough as I had wheelie issues also but usually was about a 1.9 60'.

I think I would do much better on the '08 and the gearing is better for the 1/4. Gearing is too short on the Gen 1's.

Most of the fun is in the 1/8th but it is nice to wind it up a bit legally. I have not ridden any other Gen's - but I sure see the comparisons on this forum.....

I did not get to a rhythm to launch last night. My best was just a roll up and hey it's my turn ? I better go. Or in other words when I thought about the launch I did poorly.

Dark sider with a wheelie bar and strapped front end. I predict 10.7 @ 139.
Ha Ha, funny you should mention that, one reason I was sort of in a hurry to get to the track was that I already have an Exalto. I wanted a time-slip with the PR2 though before I mount it. And the PR2 has a little more burn out life in it. I'll request my number once I have 1000 miles on the Michelin.... pics of course -- 139 haha ... where is the nitrous kit link again?

My local dragway doesn't allow street bikes to strap or lock the suspension.

I don't think a stock FJR has the beans to run 139 but I do think it can nudge the vicinity around 130.

I have an interest in the dark sider runs. One of my concerns about running a car tire on a motorcycle rim is how the bead seats. If someone was to run at the track, especially one that uses a traction compound like STC I would be curious if the tire spins in the wheel. It's easy to check, put a line up the tire sidewall and onto the rim. Make a run and see if the line still matches up.

It's easy to check, put a line up the tire sidewall and onto the rim. Make a run and see if the line still matches up.
Good idea, but it will be a while before I mount it, and have enough time on it to take it to the track. I think I will maybe use a sharpie to make some small marks that day I mount it and if I think about it do it again if/when I go back to the track.

I'm thinkin the stock FJR can do better than this. My humble B12 Bandit has a ticket showing 11.2 at 125.54. I'm sure my FJR could best that. But not by much. My Bandit only had Holeshot pipe/K&N filter/carb jet mod. About 113 HP at the rear wheel.

Bill

The bandit may have a better power to weight ratio. And I don't know if the windshield helps or hurts in the drag race. But that's why I go, just to see what I can do - reading a magazine and producing the time yourself are two different things.

The bandit may have a better power to weight ratio. And I don't know if the windshield helps or hurts in the drag race. But that's why I go, just to see what I can do - reading a magazine and producing the time yourself are two different things.
Hey I agree its fun to go to the dragstrip and see what you can do. I don't think the stock FJR windshield in low position would be significant compared to the Bandit...maybe a slight impairment. The advantage the FJR has is its longer wheel base allowing a better launch. It was hard for me to keep the front down on the Bandit when aggressivly launching. Haven't had the FJR on the strip but hope too. Also would like to read other 1/4 mile FJR results from stock bike owners or close to stock.

Bill