2 Q's on Power Commander

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerbiker

Reaction score
Hello all: have an 07 with 34k miles (all mine). Just completed a 4-day 1,400 mile jaunt thru WV, TN, NC and VA before heading home to NJ, including the famed Rt 421 (AKA "Snake") in TN, Blue Ridge Parkway beginning in Boone, NC, etc. Need to get a Power Commander to handle surging at low RPMs in the twisties (since i plan to do this again) and read all the posts and visited their website.

Question: anyone know if i can switch the PC to my other bike (an R1) at some time in future if i wanted? Is it just downloading a new "map" for the new bike or are the PC's bike-specific and the various maps are just for that bike's setup?

Also, the PC installation instructions for the FJR show it being placed in tray where stock tool kit goes. Anyone who has one: Is there still room for the toolkit after doing so? Thanks in advance.

Hello all: have an 07 with 34k miles (all mine). Just completed a 4-day 1,400 mile jaunt thru WV, TN, NC and VA before heading home to NJ, including the famed Rt 421 (AKA "Snake") in TN, Blue Ridge Parkway beginning in Boone, NC, etc. Need to get a Power Commander to handle surging at low RPMs in the twisties (since i plan to do this again) and read all the posts and visited their website.
Question: anyone know if i can switch the PC to my other bike (an R1) at some time in future if i wanted? Is it just downloading a new "map" for the new bike or are the PC's bike-specific and the various maps are just for that bike's setup?

Also, the PC installation instructions for the FJR show it being placed in tray where stock tool kit goes. Anyone who has one: Is there still room for the toolkit after doing so? Thanks in advance.
While the PC's are the same it is the connectors that vary between different bikes and models. I don't know if the R1 has the same connector as the FJR but I doubt it, then again you may get lucky. As for the tool kit there is plenty of room for it along with the PC, there is also room for the tool kit back under the pillon seat which is where I keep mine along with a portable compresser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since the Power Commanders have different part numbers for th FJR and the R1, I doubt they'd interchange. Just a thought.

ok, thanks for responses - makes sense to be bike-specific due to connections. i see prices for the PC III are at $280 online so i'll be ordering one tuesday and try to do install myself. Dealer wants $360 plus $80 install which is a different decision-point...

There is a recall for the ecu for your bike that will cure the surging. I have an 07 also and have been the the east TN mountains / blue ridge pky. I had no issues at all with surging after I got a new ecu per the recall. I don't have a PCIII.

Wow. thks. I know there's an Altitude-related recall (which i haven't had done yet) for the 2007 but from what i read i didn't think it would cure the surging i was experiencing in the twisties. I was definitely at elevation so maybe there's something to that...

Wow. thks. I know there's an Altitude-related recall (which i haven't had done yet) for the 2007 but from what i read i didn't think it would cure the surging i was experiencing in the twisties. I was definitely at elevation so maybe there's something to that...
Is that ECU recall new? I knew about the altitude one, but is there a sep ECU one? I too would like to get rid of the surging -- if not by ECU recall, then by PCIII.

Is that ECU recall new? I knew about the altitude one, but is there a sep ECU one? I too would like to get rid of the surging -- if not by ECU recall, then by PCIII.

No, The surging @ altitude recall is fixed by replacing the ECU. They are one in the same and the recall is a couple years old. It's very easy. Call your local dealer tell them what you have and they will order you a new ECU. When they get it in they will call you and you can go by and have them install it. Real quick and easy. 10mins tops all they have to do is unplug the old one and plug in the new one. If you have done the barbarian mod you will have to do it again for the new ECU.

ECU or not, my 08 was cleaned up at low RPM's (5k & under) with the PC3, just saying, worked out great for me

No, The surging @ altitude recall is fixed by replacing the ECU. They are one in the same and the recall is a couple years old. It's very easy. Call your local dealer tell them what you have and they will order you a new ECU. When they get it in they will call you and you can go by and have them install it. Real quick and easy. 10mins tops all they have to do is unplug the old one and plug in the new one. If you have done the barbarian mod you will have to do it again for the new ECU.
The "altitude surging" problem was fixed with the replacement ECU. That ECU did nothing for the poor fuel injection mapping that causes jerky throttle response off idle. After I installed the PC-III, the jerky throttle problem was fixed. So there's 2 different problems being talked about here.

Can you explain this statement to me? i've done the barbarian mod and the bike has had the recal work completed. How does one "redo" the barbarian mod?
The physical mod to the ECU connector will not need to be "redone", but you will have to adjust the settings again (+5, +7, or whatever your preference on all 4 cylinders)