2005 Fork spring upgrade Traxxion Dynamics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt4rcdude

Reaction score
This post will be updated with pics soon. After upgrading the rear shock with a Fox twin clicker (850lb spring), the front springs were even more pathetic than before. Since Traxxion Dynamics is local I decided to go with them. I was told instructions were in the box. They were weak at best. No info was given on the assembly order of the parts provided. I went with a 1.10 spring and 10w oil. I spent hours trying to find information on the assembly order of the supplied parts. No avail and they were closed for the weekend. Anyone doing this, here it is...

The box has the spring, two washers, a plastic guide, and an aluminum tube with holes in it per fork. The washers are for the plastic guide and two different sizes. It's easy to figure out which washer goes where on the guide. After bleeding/filling the fork to 160mm, assemble as follows:

With the fork tube all the way down and holding damping tube up...

1. Insert main spring (doesn't matter which end down like OEM)

2. Drop in first washer on top of the spring.

3. Insert plastic guide fluted side down so most of it is inside the spring. Center it on the washer you just dropped in.

4. Drop in second washer (so it's seated on ridge of the plastic guide.)

5. Drop in aluminum spacer tube, hole side up.

6. Use the old washer you pulled out during dis-assembly (the fat one with the hole just big enough for the damping tube.) Put it on top of the spacer tube.

7. Install the nut and run it all the way down as far as it will go.

8. Slide the rebound adjustment rod back down inside the rebound damping tube.

There are plenty of links on dis-assembly, bleeding etc. Rebound rod adjustment needs to be done. This is a critical step that I never found on any other posts. It's pretty simple but critical.

1. Back the rebound on the cap all the way out to the last click. It'll go past the last click so make sure you run it back.

2. Turn clockwise (down) three full turns.

3. Using just your hands, screw the cap on the damping rod until it stops. This does not take much. A hair more than finger tight.

4. Holding the pre-load adjuster with a 17mm, turn UP the locking nut on the damping rod toward the cap and tighten.

5. Turn the rebound all the way back out.

6. Slide the fork tube up and tighten the cap on.

7. Install/reassemble the bike.

8. Turn rebound all the way in until it stops. Be careful, it's just a tiny pointed needle and it's easy to damage.

9. I started with 8 clicks out of full, but I haven't test ridden it yet. (crappy damn weather).

TaaaDaaa!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the same with my 10 with 0 miles on it. It rides nice for sure. Next year will send them out for the valves and Lee will credit for the springs in the price. The spring buffers are a pretty cool item too!

All I will say is that Lee did mine at 93,000 miles and it has never ridden better. Traxxion does GREAT work but then that is a well known fact already.