2005 Rear Wheel Oil Leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I cleaned it up and went for a ride. No further leaks. Perplexing.
The blown shock theory became less attractive as I was cleaning things up - I just didn't see a good path from the shock to the swingarm. And it's not leaking now. I suppose it could be dry of hydraulic fluid, but damping seems normal.

- Mark
+1 for blown shock. Mine puked at rest, so I only had to ride it to the dealer (6K on bike at the time) for a warranty fix; therefore can't comment on oil spray pattern, but she rode okay. In other words, since the stock shock is such a POS, I couldn't really feel that it was shot even though all oil was GONE. I think you ought to have somebody hold the front of the bike (I'd tie off to ceiling joists in a 'V' too) while you bounce the rear end. If she keeps abouncin', go shopping at GPSuspensions (or similar) for a new Penske or Ohlins.

+1 for blown shock. Mine puked at rest, so I only had to ride it to the dealer (6K on bike at the time) for a warranty fix; therefore can't comment on oil spray pattern, but she rode okay. In other words, since the stock shock is such a POS, I couldn't really feel that it was shot even though all oil was GONE. I think you ought to have somebody hold the front of the bike (I'd tie off to ceiling joists in a 'V' too) while you bounce the rear end. If she keeps abouncin', go shopping at GPSuspensions (or similar) for a new Penske or Ohlins.
It's a Penske already. And it passes the bounce test quite readily. I moved the bottom damper adjuster through its entire range and there is definitely a dramatic increase in damping as you go from min clicks to max. It's got good damping. That doesn't mean something isn't wrong, but the damper is working to some extent.

One interesting thing. I have an Ohlins on my BMW and when you dial the damping off it to minimum, if feels like you get absolutely NO damping - you can tell something is not right within 10' of riding away as the rear of the bike is bouncing all over the place. The Penske is not nearly as dramatic and the bike is definitely rideable with the damping at min clicks although you feel it wallowing when you hit bumps in corners. This may be one reason why the Ohlins is harder to set up - the range of adjustment between minimum and maximum is much broader which means a click or two can makes a much bigger difference.

- Mark

I'm sticking with my pick of a blown shock. I think since you were on an extended trip, the shock blew (it's pressurized, and that's what you lost), the rest of the ride evacked some of the shock oil to a point it doesn't leak anymore (but there's still some oil to provide variable damping when you check it statically). It's a theory; and goes along with the fact you stated that the oil had a pungent smell to it (as opposed to a motor oil smell).

I'm sticking with my pick of a blown shock. I think since you were on an extended trip, the shock blew (it's pressurized, and that's what you lost), the rest of the ride evacked some of the shock oil to a point it doesn't leak anymore (but there's still some oil to provide variable damping when you check it statically). It's a theory; and goes along with the fact you stated that the oil had a pungent smell to it (as opposed to a motor oil smell).
Possible. The rear shock and linkage needs cleaning badly anyway - I think I'll pull it down and have a further look. Maybe an excuse to buy the cheap HF spring compressor and be able to exercise the damper.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

- Mark

Buy container of dry spray deodorant. Clean bike in rear area spotless. Spray all suspect areas with deodorant. Go for short ride. All/any leaks will be quickly evident.
What a super suggestion!!!

jim
Thanks grump.. A plus is all the comments you'll get on the Spring Fresh aroma, especially from the Lemon Pledge crowd. Hey to Godammit!

Last edited by a moderator: