2006 FJR Stock Shock Not Clicking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaosbandit

Reaction score
I was trying to tweak my suspension a little this weekend. I had the shop manual out and I was trying to find my current setting so I turned the shock dampening adjustment all the way in. I could feel it clicking and the last two clicks felt a little different. I did not apply excessive force. I was only using two fingers and I didn't try to twist it tight or anything.

When I started turning it back the other way towards my desired adjustment point the knob no longer clicked. It still adjusts, but it is very hard to tell where the setting is. Anybody ever run into this? Were you able to fix it?

Spray some WD40 or similar around the knob. The clicks are merely detents a little spring-loaded ball pops into as you turn. Sounds like the little ball is stuck...... you're right, you are able to adjust, just not hear the clicks.

Thanks. I was hoping it would be something simple. There was a lot of dry grease down there so that may be what it is. I'll try it and let you know.

I had a similar thing happen on my '06 after I had a gold valve kit installed. After they recharged the shock, the new seal wouldn't hold. They had to replace the seal and recharge again. The way I understand it, the seal they use is similar to a basketball. But it's a one time use seal.

Hopefully, it's just crud. I have had that happen before too. But it that doesn't seem to fix it try turning the adjuster to full slow and bounce the rear. If it come back up fast you need a seal and recharge.

I was trying to tweak my suspension a little this weekend. I had the shop manual out and I was trying to find my current setting so I turned the shock dampening adjustment all the way in. I could feel it clicking and the last two clicks felt a little different. I did not apply excessive force. I was only using two fingers and I didn't try to twist it tight or anything.
When I started turning it back the other way towards my desired adjustment point the knob no longer clicked. It still adjusts, but it is very hard to tell where the setting is. Anybody ever run into this? Were you able to fix it?
weirdsmiley.gif

I'm having the very same problem on my 2006 with only 15K miles on it.

I removed my shock today and found there is a small shaft inside the one you see the adjuster thread up and down. I found this when I screwed the adjuster all the way down away from the top of the shock and then slid the top rubber boot of the adjuster up the outer shaft. Now you will see an oblong cut out about 1/2" long right through the outer shaft. This is where a long roller type baring, the length = to the diameter of the adjuster, goes through the outer shaft and my best guess is the inner shaft (call it the Valve shaft) is suppose to provide spring loaded downward pressure on this roller baring to provide the clicks we should be hearing. Most importantly I think it should move freely up and down inside the outer shaft.

That inner shaft or Valve shaft is stuck in the full up position pushed to the top of the shock on my bike so once I screw the adjuster down (soft) 4 clicks there is no pressure on the roller baring, that goes through the cut out in the outer shaft, to push against the adjuster to give the clicking sound and more importantly no softer adjustment because the Valve shaft is not moving down.

My terms and nomenclatures may not be correct and this is my best theory so if someone is more knowledgeable or could help explain feel free.

More importantly
uhoh.gif
HOW DO I FIX MY SHOCK?

Tony