2006 FJR1300 Heli Bar Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIS2006

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Heli Bar Update for 2006 FJR1300[/SIZE]

Tour Performance® HR™Triple Clamp for the 2006 FJR1300A/AE

There are 2 new handlebar mounting options:

The forward mount option moves the bars back 11mm from the rear most stock adjusted position.

The second rear mounting option moves the bars back 26mm (over 1 inch) and provide a 2 degree rear rotation of the handgrips. This provides a handlebar position that is 38mm (1.5 inches) closer to the rider.

Read Heli Bar update at:

https://www.helibars.com/news.php

Like the second RAM mount but think Ineed height also. Will watch pics and updates. Really liked Doug Hines risers, hope he stays with it. Thanks for the link.

I get a kick out of people who put bar risers on bikes with bars that are about shoulder high to begin with. Why didn't they just look for a bike that came with ape-hangers as standard equipment? LOL.

Funniest I've seen yet: bar risers for Goldwings. Double LOL.

The only step beyond that is 4 wheels and a steering wheel....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd me more interested in the price. I've heard a rumour of $320 which sounds steep for bar risers - but good value for a new top yoke (as we call it in the UK).

It's not hard to change it as long as you have the tools.

Alan

I get a kick out of people who put bar risers on bikes with bars that are about shoulder high to begin with. Why didn't they just look for a bike that came with ape-hangers as standard equipment? LOL.

:headbonk:

Well Mr. Perfect ... some of us have freakin metal bolts and plates in our necks (or other various "body mods" from livin la vida loca). We might just NEED higher bars, maybe even on a wing. AT least it keeps us riding instead of trolling.

I get a kick out of people who put bar risers on bikes with bars that are about shoulder high to begin with.
You think the bars are "shoulder high"?

Wow, I thought I was vertically challenged... you must all of 4 feet tall if the bars are at your shoulders while on the bike.

:rolleyes:

:clapping: THis is very good news! I'm 5'6" and a 1 inch rear repositioning will shift my weight back to where in should be. I ride so much, I'll buy it no matter what the price (within reason....)

I'd me more interested in the price. I've heard a rumour of $320 which sounds steep for bar risers - but good value for a new top yoke (as we call it in the UK).
It's not hard to change it as long as you have the tools.

Alan
From the look of things the triple clamp should be very straightforward to change. Cover the tank, left to loose etc. The ignition switch may be the hardest part, if it has those nasty 1 way screws for anti theft. I haven't checked the parts book but I'm sure somebody will clue me in.

I have a WING. It has risers. I like the bike a great deal, better with the risers. I need risers on the FJR as well. Not everyone is build like an orangutan, bub.

BAGGER

Hi Dan,

Many higher mileage riders find stock bike ergonomics just don't work. It is a lot different riding successive 200 mile days than stepping up and riding multiple 1,000 mile days.

My Goldwing has custom seat, bar backs, foam anti vibration grip covers, custom windshield etc just to maximize the comfort on the bike. I am 6'4" and have had Carpal Tunnel Surgery in both hands

My wife rides an FJR is 5'4" and it has lowered and softened suspension, custom seat and she has the 06 Heli bars are on order for her.

You are lucky that you get to save $1,000's on bike ergonomics - it is one of the advantages of being average in the 85 percentile sort of way

Proper Ergonomics and Suspension are key to getting the most out of your bike.

Other than you and me not everyone is a "Superman" and some have their doubts about you.
laughing3.gif

I'm 6'1" and :heart: the 06AE. After cruising - leaning forward for three hours, I was fighting my hands going to sleep. I have the seat set at the high position because at the lower position the angle of the knee is too much. It's like sitting in the seat of a car with the seat too close to the steering wheel. So after talking to Heli, I am in line for a set as soon as they come out. A 1" adjustment back may make all the difference in the world or, at least, help.

Anyway, it seems to me that Yamaha made the FJR's ergonomics for someone at a racing position more than a touring one. I will definitely make this known to Yamaha for consideration for the development of the future FJR's (like I'll be the first ;) ) as I hope they're reading this thread (right? - NOT!). If Yamaha says sport/touring then they should have it adjustable for both instead of having to buy aftermarket add-ons. This brings to mind my Nissan Quest (must have been Japanese in another life) van purchased last November. I test drove it, made the purchase and then after driving it on a long trip, decided that I needed about 1-2 inches more of leg room even with the seat all the back and tilted up in the front. I have to live with it. There is no inexpensive way to correct it. It's my fault because I test drove it 1st. The FJR is a different story. You put up your deposit and that's it. Yamaha has to hear our complaints for future design with their demand then supply program.

I have my mind set on a 3k trip to TX via Hot Springs, AK and back next week and know it will be a challenge. Wish me luck.

I'm 6'1" and :heart: the 06AE. After cruising - leaning forward for three hours, I was fighting my hands going to sleep. I have the seat set at the high position because at the lower position the angle of the knee is too much. It's like sitting in the seat of a car with the seat too close to the steering wheel. So after talking to Heli, I am in line for a set as soon as they come out. A 1" adjustment back may make all the difference in the world or, at least, help.
Anyway, it seems to me that Yamaha made the FJR's ergonomics for someone at a racing position more than a touring one.

<snip>
IMHO, you guys are on crack... Nothing wrong with adjusting your Ergos for sure. But the FJR is not a forward leaning bike out of the box, unless you have midget arms.

I mean c'mon, get on a BMW-GT, a ZZR, or a stock blackbird, or any other "Grand Tourer" and you guys would die before getting out of the parking lot I would guess?

Again, nothing wrong with getting a little "more" upright, but damn, comparing it to a sport/racing bike is not even in the same realm. Go sit on an R1 or R6. It's very much in-between. It aint no cruiser, but it's not something that puts a lot of weight on your hands. Let go of the death grip on the bars and relax.

Anyway, it seems to me that Yamaha made the FJR's ergonomics for someone at a racing position more than a touring one.

<snip>
IMHO, you guys are on crack... Nothing wrong with adjusting your Ergos for sure. But the FJR is not a forward leaning bike out of the box, unless you have midget arms.

I mean c'mon, get on a BMW-GT, a ZZR, or a stock blackbird, or any other "Grand Tourer" and you guys would die before getting out of the parking lot I would guess?

Again, nothing wrong with getting a little "more" upright, but damn, comparing it to a sport/racing bike is not even in the same realm. Go sit on an R1 or R6. It's very much in-between. It aint no cruiser, but it's not something that puts a lot of weight on your hands. Let go of the death grip on the bars and relax.
I find it interesting that those that *love* the ergos of the FJR are so down on those of us that don't.

What do you give a shit about what we do to the bike to make it more comfortable for us? If you are perfectly happy to ride 200, 300, 400+ miles the way the FJR comes outa the box .... I'm happy for you. I cannot do that.

I've ridden bikes for over 35 years. The FJR is the FIRST and ONLY bike that makes my hands numb, or my neck hurt after 100 or less miles. I have 2 other bikes in my garage and I can ride them back to back with the FJR. Guess what? The numbness goes away IMMEDIATELY!

I don't have a 'death grip' on the FJR, I don't even have my fingers wrapped around the grips (Grip Puppies...). And, when I hooked up Doug Hines risers, guess what? The numbness pretty much went away as well.

It's the riding position, nimrod, not the riders.

BAGGER

<snip>

I find it interesting that those that *love* the ergos of the FJR are so down on those of us that don't.

What do you give a shit about what we do to the bike to make it more comfortable for us? If you are perfectly happy to ride 200, 300, 400+ miles the way the FJR comes outa the box .... I'm happy for you. I cannot do that.

I've ridden bikes for over 35 years. The FJR is the FIRST and ONLY bike that makes my hands numb, or my neck hurt after 100 or less miles. I have 2 other bikes in my garage and I can ride them back to back with the FJR. Guess what? The numbness goes away IMMEDIATELY!

I don't have a 'death grip' on the FJR, I don't even have my fingers wrapped around the grips (Grip Puppies...). And, when I hooked up Doug Hines risers, guess what? The numbness pretty much went away as well.

It's the riding position, nimrod, not the riders.

BAGGER
I don't know, maybe you need to learn to read.

I said "Nothing wrong with adjusting your Ergos for sure."

But comparing it to a race bike is asinine, the ergo's aren't even close.

Everyone is different, sorry you find the FJR so painful. Maybe you should have ridden one before buying it. :rolleyes:

Maybe I should have said more like a racing position than a touring one. Of course it's not a race bike, it only does the 1/4 in 11 seconds. Oh, and I did say something about trying before buying but didn't say anything about pain. So I'll try not to present anymore asinine comments, nor try to be helpful in any way, I'll just go farkle and shutup. :D

gitterdan :beach: