• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2006 FS Wichita CL dealer ad $4500

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The story thus far.

I had some running around to do this morning so I stopped by the dealership to take a look at it since it's only a couple miles away from me.

I was not looking at it to purchase it. I was pretty much looking at it to see what was wrong with it. This is what I found.

It has a vstream tall windscreen, ram mount with some kind of connector on the left grip (gps???), aftermarket seat (maybe corbin), stock seat.

Looks to be in good overall condition, but hasn't been washed very well. Exterior is clean, but definitely road grime on swingarm, pegs, etc. Appears to not have been detailed for some time. No obvious signs of damage. May have been sitting outside for a time. Black plastic on side bags is somewhat oxidized and turning grey. Not much care was used in washing some areas of the fairing and looks like a dirty/sandy rag was used to wash it. Will most likely polish out, but you can definitely see the scratches. This was limited to the front areas where bug spatter is likely to occur. No scratches on the side or the tank.

No dents in the exhaust.

Bridgestone BT020 tires with good tread on the front. Rear tire was down on indicators in center of tread. Didn't check the dates but very likely OEM.

Amber tint to fuel in gas tank, but no signs of rust around filler neck. Gas is still clear though. Has that old gas smell during idle.

No liners for side bags.

Key worked in both bags and trunk.

Yamaha rear trunk with backrest. Metal plate on bottom of trunk, so if there was a recall for this year it's been complied with.

Started right up. Little rough idle, definite hesitation on cold accel under no load.

No obvious engine sounds when cold.

Put on center stand and ran it through a couple of gears. No obvious issues.

I did not ride it.

Right fork has oil on it and has dripped oil on right caliper and wheel.

Tool kit was there along with the saddlebag cover plates.

There's probably more, but can't think of it right now.

Steve

From the pictures it looks like the Yamaha Comfort Gel seat. If the Cluster has been redone there should be a sticker on the underside of the glove compartment door that states the mileage before the ECU swap out. Since it is an 06 it doesn't sound like there is a power commander on it - they probably would have seen that when they checked for the tool kit. The G2 tube would be the other upgrade. Rolling back the grip if its aluminum throttle tube its been installed. Here I thought mine was a sweet deal for $6000 with 1200 miles. This one is right up there. Mine had one advantage. The previous owner took care of that nuisance first scratch.

Joe

Wow, who are these peeps and where in the woodwork did they come from?

I smell a coup-de-tat.....................

I wonder if it's really 6600 miles. Or if it had the ECU recall done, and the new odometer says 6600.

Would a fork seal normally leak at only 6600 miles? Or maybe the fork seal was bad when installed at factory?

I wonder if it's really 6600 miles. Or if it had the ECU recall done, and the new odometer says 6600.
ECU recall doesn't affect the odometer. There was a recall for some of the early '06 that entailed replacement of the instrument cluster (flaw in MPG readout) that would affect the odo.

I bought my '05 with 5000 miles and a leaking fork seal. In this case, time is just as much an indicator as mileage IMO.

I have 1/2 a mind to take a ride and pick this one up over the T/G weekend.

My wife would really be pissed. The question is - how long before she gets "unpissed"?

Nah - this ain't the hill I want to die on....

ECU recall doesn't affect the odometer. There was a recall for some of the early '06 that entailed replacement of the instrument cluster (flaw in MPG readout) that would affect the odo.
Thanks for the correction, that's the one I was thinking of :)

It's VIN #1146, which is in the range with the 17MPG bug. (Affected units are 0003-1400 - see fjrforum archives for info.) So the dash may have been replaced. It's easy enough to tell, just need to ride it and check the instantaneous fool economy display.

Deposit made - sale pending. :yahoo: Wichita here I come.
Good on you,glad you bought it, I couldn't sleep all night thinking about the bitch.

You might want to fashion a little cleaning tool out of a milk jug and see if you can clean gunk outta that fork tube,it might help.

That leaking seal might worry me on a long trip home.Hope it works out well for ya.

It's VIN #1146, which is in the range with the 17MPG bug. (Affected units are 0003-1400 - see fjrforum archives for info.) So the dash may have been replaced. It's easy enough to tell, just need to ride it and check the instantaneous fool economy display.

Just double check the actual mileage by adding the mileage found on the certified sticker to the mileage shown on the instrument readout.

If the guy had put on 50,000 miles before changing the dash...then I would think that there would definitely be some room for bargaining there.

Good luck with the purchase.

Just double check the actual mileage by adding the mileage found on the certified sticker to the mileage shown on the instrument readout.

If the guy had put on 50,000 miles before changing the dash...then I would think that there would definitely be some room for bargaining there.

I would've asked them to look at the sticker in the box to determine the mileage before pulling the trigger.

Go RIGHT NOW, man. High temp in southern Minnesota for the next few days.....Wednesday, 63, Thursday, 60, Thursday night, flurries, Friday, high of 33. NOW is the time. You can eat your Thanksgiving turkey on Friday in a nice warm house.

I'd like to add that the sticker doesn't always remain on the glove box door...
5.JPG