2006 Gauges

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happened to the big old turn signal lights on the dash?
Uncle Fester?!

The same Uncle Fester from the old defunct EZCrap forum?

If so.... took you long enough to come over here, 'bro!!! :D

In any event, welcome to the forum...

I would like to see the LCD with matching orange backlighting. IMO, it would make the overall display more balanced with less distracting contrast. Better yet, make the background lighting color changeable similar to what's now common on cell phone and auto deck displays.

Too bad they had the battery out on the bikes at Alices. I wanted to see if the clock displays with the ignition off. I woulda went down to the dealer to put down my PDP deposit if this could be verified. :beee:

Well, as I've said before, I'd prefer the tach in the center.

Anyway, I like the style of the cluster but, other than the aesthetics, I don't see much difference between the old and new gauges. I had the MPG thing on an old Cadillac and it was useful there because I did want to keep an eye on how fast my fuel was disapearing, but on the FJR I don't ease up on the acceleration to save gas.

For those of you who have seen the '06 up close and personal, are the gauges any easier to read at a quick glance, like when you're winding the engine out and don't want to take your eyes off the road for more than half a second to check the tach or speedo?

Warchild, yes this is Uncle Fester that joined the EZForum in 2003 and purchased the original 04 FJR1300A version. Long story. I purchased a 2003 Pontiac Vibe, a 2004 FJR1300A and then finished up some major dental work that included implants. (teeth, not breasts :blink: )

So something had to give. I took a trip around Lake Michigan and Lake Superior fully loaded with top case, and the mother of all windshields and still made 142 mph on the GPS. I did get passed by a Huyabusa I'm afraid.

Got back, and within two days sold the FJR two somewone on the EZ board.

Still driving my 96ST1100A. She's a big girl but she always gets me home.

So then I started lusting after a DL650(more my budget right now) until the 2006 FJR came out. I'm might wait around for cruise or the wonderful Red version they have offered in Europe.

The FJR group has always been a good bunch of people. And when you buy the FJR it comes with a wealth of knowledge from people like you.

I wish they would top out the speedo at a more reasonable speed, say 150, and then make all the points in between larger. My old eyes would like it better. I do like the smaller width, but greater number of increments on the temp and fuel indicators. Don;t like the design focus around the buttons. I think the red will be hard to read in the day light.

It's time for Yamaha to go back to the drawing board on these gauges! I do like the digital side, and a gear indicator is a good thing but we all know the FJR is NOT gonna go 180 Mph! Make it go to 160-165 Mph and spread out the digits so people can see the speed at a glance.

Come on, it's stupid that the needle won't usually be going past 9-10 O'clock for most riding. I suppose now we also get a single blinking light for a turn signal? No '06 for me... Get someone who actually rides a long distance bike to design the gauges and go for substance and function over style. <_<

Uncluttered.jpg

Perhaps if they had put the idiot lights at the bottom and not had "dual" speed [mph/kph] then the speedo would be easy to read as per the euro model

Howard

After spending a lot of time on my R1, I wish they would just go to a digital speedometer. It is a lot easier to look at see at a glance, exactly what your speed is without having to take a close look.

Grady A. Dunham

Last edited by a moderator: