2006 recalled Top Trunk has cracks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, Going to resurrect this thread again. It seems my third trunk is starting to crack again. It's in the same place where the pictures are posted on this thread. Going to call the dealer and see what can be done. I think I will go with a GIVI trunk this time. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

My OEM did the same thing....... not replacing it. Went with a Coocase 48 which has lights/remote/liner/mount and got the charging port option. Less money than Givi by about $100+ all said and done, but I kinda liked the E55 Maxia look.

PS - Send a PM to extrememarine, he may have an E52 left for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

Well I took the trunk back to the dealer on Monday who had taken pictures of it to send to Yamaha corporate. I called the dealer on Thursday and spoke to the service rep. Basically they stated they will not cover this trunk under warranty and that it was replaced last time under a goodwill warranty since the bike was out of warranty. I called yahama corporate right after speaking to the yamaha dealership. Yahama corporate indicated they were not contacted by the dealership and did not have the photos. They said they will call the dealership and get the photos for their techincians to review. I did recieve a call from Yahama Corporate indicating they reviewed the photos and stated there is nothing wrong with this trunk and will not be replacing it or compensate me for the lost of investment in the trunk. I do applaud Yahama efforts in replacing this trunk twice but I feel they have a design stress issue with this trunk. I would like to write a letter to Yahama Corporate stating the issue and only want to be compensated for my investment. I do not want another Yahama trunk and will go with an aftermaket trunk. Does anyone have any sugguestions or contact information in which this letter should be address to? This is the third trunk on this bike and it was warranty twice for the same issues. Cracking at the base of attachement to the base plate.

yep - on this forum you have to load your images on photobucket or dropbox and then link to them

Thanks for the tip on loading the photos. Below is a picture of the cracks that are occuring on the trunk.

IMG_0483_zps82995f14.jpg

Just checked mine (07) Got same cracks................All I carry in mine is a jacket and gloves.....Wife uses backrest.......

Just checked mine (07) Got same cracks................All I carry in mine is a jacket and gloves.....Wife uses backrest.......
Hi Ed,

Do you have the retrofit version that has the metal plate on the bottom of the trunk? Can you take a picture of it and post it to this thread? I would recommend you contact your local dealer to see what they can do for you.

The metal plate is clearly there in the pictures. Use a heat gun, pry it off the gorilla tape it is mounted with and you'll see it has cracked right back to the latch. The stress cracking is more likely due to vibrating around without any passenger on it, from my experience anyway. The bottom outer skin is rather thin along with poor design of front mount, and Yamaha must know they have a problem. Maybe all of us who had cracks should write a letter....... I don't know of any other bike with OEM or aftermarket that has this problem.

I bought my trunk last year on Ebay. I`m ashamed to say how much.(cheap) This cracking problem has been around for years. Mine has the reinforcement plates so I hope it will hold up. But after reading these latest posts, it looks like its inevitable.

yep me too - i think im going to only put it on the bike when the missus wants to ride - i can hear it chattering on the back when empty and the road is a little rough

FWIW, I believe those cracks can be repaired by plastic welding and some reinforcement can be added by welding another layer over the affected area. I think the material is ABS - same as saddlebag housings and most other parts on the bike.

For anyone that has a trunk and show signs of stress fractures I would recommend you contact your local dealer to see what they can do and also followup with Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA Customer Relations 800.962-7926 and let them know you are experiencing this problem. When I contacted Yamaha Customer Relations according to them I have been the only one that called on this issue which I find hard to believe.