2006 recalled Top Trunk has cracks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakleyrider

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

In 2008 I had my top trunk replaced with a reinforced top trunk (metal plate). The original top trunk had cracks where it locked into the trunk adapter plate. Last week I noticed my trunk seemed to be loose. On closer inspection I found cracks on the trunk adapter plate near the area where the trunk locks in. I called the local dealer and there is no recall on the adapter plate. I bought a new adaper plate and after I installed it I check the trunk and found the same type of cracking that occured on the original trunk. I also noticed the metal plate on the bottom on the trunk seemed to be pulling away from the trunk. Has anyone else experience cracking on the recalled trunk? I called Yamaha corporate and they referred me to the local dealer. Waiting to hear back from the dealer. Cheers Oakleyrider.

Hey everyone,

Yamaha Corporate requested that I take my 2006 FJR with trunk to the local bike shop so they can take pictures of the trunk and adapter plate. This was done yesterday. I found out that my warrenty expired on July 2011. I am hoping that Yamaha replace the trunk at no charge and reimburse me for the cost of the adapter plate.

Wasn't there a recall for the Yamaha trunk mounting plate?

Edit for poor reading comprehension: This is a crack on the post-recall plate

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't there a recall for the Yamaha trunk mounting plate?

Edit for poor reading comprehension: This is a crack on the post-recall plate
I don't known if the trunk mounting plate was included. I didn't receive the recall notice and the local Yamaha dealer fixed the issue in 2008. Does anyone have a copy of the original recall notice?

Hey everyone,

Yamaha corporate did call back and stated they will replace the Trunk and adapter plate at no cost to me. Since I have already purchased the trunk adapter plate I just need to show the receipt. I will need to turn over the damaged trunk and adapter plate so Yamaha can take a look at it. I am pleased with this outcome since this is a 800 + dollar option.

Hey everyone,

In 2008 I had my top trunk replaced with a reinforced top trunk (metal plate). The original top trunk had cracks where it locked into the trunk adapter plate. Last week I noticed my trunk seemed to be loose. On closer inspection I found cracks on the trunk adapter plate near the area where the trunk locks in. I called the local dealer and there is no recall on the adapter plate. I bought a new adaper plate and after I installed it I check the trunk and found the same type of cracking that occured on the original trunk. I also noticed the metal plate on the bottom on the trunk seemed to be pulling away from the trunk. Has anyone else experience cracking on the recalled trunk? I called Yamaha corporate and they referred me to the local dealer. Waiting to hear back from the dealer. Cheers Oakleyrider.
Thanks Oakley for posting this. It made me go look at my recalled trunk and guess what! Mine is also cracked. The base plate and the SS reinforcing plate is fine but the trunk plastic is cracking around/near the SS plate. Mine is a 2006 so I doubt they will do much of anything?

I am thinking about buying a factory trunk for my 2006. What should I look for and where should I buy it? There are a couple of new ones on Ebay. Think they are upgraded? Happy Holidays to all. LD

Hey everyone,

I had the recall done a couple of years ago. Got the metal plate and reinforcing stuff. Haven't gone back to see if it's cracked again, on the "to do" list for after Christmas now.

But my question: What sort of load do you put on your trunk? When we're in Full Tour mode it's not uncommon to exceed Yamaha's load limit by quite a bit (wine bottles are heavy) plus the wife leaning against it. Did your cracks come under Light (one up), Medium (two up with clothes in the trunk), or Heavy (two up with everything we forgot put in the trunk) loading?

Good find Lou,

Of course some sell for $400, except the one that is my color which is $600.

But the add says "fiberglass reinforced." Does anyone know, are the newer ones fiberglass reinforced or do they have the metal plate on the bottom like my recall replacement unit does?

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone,

I had the recall done a couple of years ago. Got the metal plate and reinforcing stuff. Haven't gone back to see if it's cracked again, on the "to do" list for after Christmas now.

But my question: What sort of load do you put on your trunk? When we're in Full Tour mode it's not uncommon to exceed Yamaha's load limit by quite a bit (wine bottles are heavy) plus the wife leaning against it. Did your cracks come under Light (one up), Medium (two up with clothes in the trunk), or Heavy (two up with everything we forgot put in the trunk) loading?
I use my FJR 90% of the time comutting back and forth from work. Round trip milage is 120 miles and typicaly I use the FJR 2-3 times a week. I carry my gym bag and sometimes my chaps. I can't recall putting anything heavier in the trunk. I have about 31,000 miles on the recall trunk when I noticed the cracks again.

Took pics of the top box cracks and sent them to the dealer so he could forward them to Mama Yamaha. We"ll see what happens.

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

I think the cheapest way out of this is to buy a new one off e-bay for $400. Except for an 06 in the correct blue they are going for $600. So I think I'll get a new one the wrong color and just swap the lids so the color matches. I suspect the new ones are made stronger? We got the metal plate fix that was a failure. The ones on e-bay say "Fiberglass reinforced." So I'm hoping the newer ones are made better?

I looked at the Givi Maxia 52 and those would be about $400 with the mount.