2006 Riding Position

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike6282

Reaction score
I have a 2006 FJR1300A on order and it is scheduled to be here in May. I am getting a little nervous about the riding position and the numb hands that some of you have reported. First a little background about myself.

I am 52 years old, 5' 9" and 220#s. I got back into riding 6 years ago. I have had numerous Harleys from a Sportster to an Electra Glide Classic, Valkyrie Std, Vulcan 800 Classic and last fall I sold my GL1800 Goldwing. When riding ALL of those bikes, my right hand would go numb within 20 minutes to 30 minutes. I take my hand off for about 5-6 seconds and everything is good for another 20 minutes or so. I loved the cruise control of the Wing on the Highways. My right-hand really doesn't bother me very much other than on the motorcycle. Some have said that the FJR is really smooth, but a few have reported a slight buzz.

I have always wanted an FJR and with the improvements with the 2006, I went for it. Even with the adjustable bars and seat, I am hoping that I can close to an upright position with risers. I have sat on an FZ6 which is close to the FJR's stock riding position and it was a little too much strain on my short arms.

Right now, my other choice is a DL1000 V-strom or possibly a ST1300. But I love the looks of the FJR and I really want ABS. Given the riding position and the 4 banger vibes (maybe a non-issue), am I going to regret getting a new FJR?

Sorry for the long post, but THANKS for any feedback!

Mike6282

What! Nobody buys a bike without a thorough test ride! Are you crazy?

Just kidding. Most of us been there, done that. You just got the Waiters Worries.

There were plenty of riser options available for previous FJRs, so no doubt there will be some developed for the 2006 model, or maybe the old products will work on the '06. Who knows, maybe the new adjustable stock arrangement will satisfy your ergos completely.

I also desired nearly upright position and got a good solution with adjustable LenkAdapter risers. Also added a ThrottleMeister, foam grip covers and a larger windscreen. My hands are numb-free. Several other comfort options out there. Some folks detached one of the throttle return springs to reduce wrist numbness with good luck doing that.

You have had a bunch of nice bikes, you may have now luckily stumbled on the best all-around performer out there. :agent:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an FZ6, with the standard windshield you really don't notice much of a strain at all on the highway as the wind will be taking the pressure off of your wrist. Around town it's easy enough to scoot up on the seat towards the tank, it's actually very comfortable for me, more so than my 1100 custom which I sold last fall.

You actually notice the riding position on the FZ6 somewhat more with the tall windshield as it negates the effect of the wind, it also adds a lot of turbulence, I much prefer the standard windscreen.

My FJR should be here in about a month or so, I'm sure it will be everything the FZ6 is and more, the adjustable windscreen should be awesome, the bars are slightly higher and closer to the seat. I can tell you I ride my FZ6 roughly 100 miles per day commuting and really enjoy the ride, it's more comfortable than my 1100 custom was with the standard seat. I did experience sore shoulders for the first couple of weeks although that goes away as your back muscles strengthen.

If cruise control solved your problem on your goldwing just add it to your fjr. You can pickup an Audiovox unit for about $100.00. I have mine waiting to be installed. Heated grips are a must too IMO for $29.95 you can't go wrong there either.

John

John

I am about the same size as you. I have the numb right hand issues regularly. I have done:

throttle spring relief( helps the vista cruise work better)

vista cruise ( best 24 bucks you can spend)

bar end weights(Top Gun- look great)

BMW Sport grips( better than stock)

tb synch(UA Synch- vast improvement in reducing bike vibration- no effect on right hand)

risers(they sat me upright like I wanted)

wave a chicken over my head before each ride( does nothing but scare the neighbors)

EVERY ride my right hand goes numb. The vista cruise allows me to take my hand off the bar and flex and relax my hand to bring circulation back.

Important note: my left hand never goes numb. I use a computer at work- alot of mouse and 10 key- right handed.

I sat on bmw's, and Triumphs, and Ducati's. Didn't feel quite right. The ST felt like a Goldwing. I got the impression I would be driving it, not riding it.

I sat on the FJR(friend owns one) and it felt like home.

Most important note: I have never for a single moment regretted buying this bike. I am totally confident that I made the correct choice.

I am sure that I have an issue with my right hand, not the bike. If it was the bike, both hands would go numb, especially with reduced throttle spring tension equalizing the grips.I do practice not holding on as tight as I used to, now that I'm more comfortable and used to the power the BLUE ones deliver.

A glimpse of your future: you have just come back from the first ride where you feel that this bike just fits. You can't wait to get on the net to thank all of us for telling you to stick it out.

Your welcome.

Ride safe

Sounds like you're very sensitive to vibration. Given your history, I wouldn't have high hopes that the FJR will be better and it might be worse. It sounds like the type of bike makes little difference.

- Mark

I've had a couple Harleys and also had mild numbness problems, especially on my Road King with beach bars. When I got the FJR, the problem was much worse. I did the fixes and most didn't help. Audivox cruise and getting my hand off the grip was the best solution. Lately, however, I've been wearing a wrist support. That REALLY helps. Keeps my hand/wrist in a comfortable position and really cuts down on the numness.

The FJR is so much more bike than the others you've suggested. If you want a good mix of riding twisties and a good touring bike, stick with the FJR.

Don't worry too much. The second thoughts are normal. The wait is always tough.

+1 on the bar end weights, BMW grips, throttle-body synch and risers. The biggest improvement for me was risers. I tried Heli in both the old and new versions and the LenkAdapters, as well as combinations of two of them. I finally settled on the Lenkers because of the angle adjustment feature. I also found that mulitple risers, at least at my preferred angle, tended to interfere with slow/parking-lot-speed maneuvering when a tank bag was in place. You may get a chuckle out of this, but here's how I set the angle on the Lenkers:

First, I shortened an old broom stick into two dowels about one foot long. Holding one dowel in each hand while seated on the bike, I closed my eyes and relaxed my hands into a natural angle. (It helped to rotate each dowel at the wrist as if working a lasso.) Then, holding the dowels in what felt like the most relaxed postion, eyes still shut, I reached forward to each handlebar, opened my eyes, compared the "natural" dowel angle to that of the clip-ons and adjusted everything accordingly.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Your the same height and weight as I am, well...maybe I got you on the weight alittle. However I rode my friends wing and his FZ1, plus I have a bad disk problem and other misc injuries over the years. Bottom line, very comfortable but not as plush as the wing, super manageable in carving and acceleration than the wing and FZ1. Fun factor between the FJR, Wing & FZ1.......10, 8, 8 in that order. The sitting position puts me a bit forward than I would like, but a riser & 1" pullback adapter will probably solve that for me. Lastly, I was a waiter like everyone here, never had a chance to ride it, did find a used one to sit on it. But my excitment grew more each day as I looked on the FJR forums for any hint of shipments. But if you have any doubts when you get it....like they say here....just floor it!

You may also want to add a throttle-rocker. I put one on mine and it was a big help. You can totally relax your thumb and index finger without setting the cruise. I have found that just by relaxing those two digits will do it for me. You can even do this while in traffic and adjusting your throttle response. When you feel some numbness coming on, just place your index on the brake lever and point your thumb towards the tank. Numb-be-gone!

Owch...hand problems on a GL1800? Can't say that I've ever had any numbness of my right hand (I do all my Industrial Design work on a computer...9-12 hours/day) on either of my GL1800s. Same, IIRC, for my ST1300 and '03 FJR. OTOH both my oilhead boxers: constantly shaking my right hand at stops. Both my FZ-6s were very buzzy and bothered me somewhat, ZX12R did a little bit.

If the new '06 is a good as Yamaha seems to be claiming...should be quite the machine. Hopefully I'll find out next month if the bike really gets here then, and if the weather cooperates. Have fun with yours! DFO :D

I also get that numbness but have found that I can maintain speed and lose the numbness by straightening out my fingers for a few seconds while keeping the throttle in place with pressure from the palm of my hand.

You say the DL1000 V-Strom is an option. I have a friend who bought one. He fell off a roof and the injuries have kept him from riding. He has me ride it every few weeks while he recovers. The difference is like day and night. It is in new condition (1300 miles) and it feels like I'm riding an uncomfortable mini-bike when compared to my FJR1300. I hope that doesn't offend anyone who owns one.

I am about the same size as you. I have the numb right hand issues regularly. I have done:throttle spring relief( helps the vista cruise work better)

vista cruise ( best 24 bucks you can spend)

bar end weights(Top Gun- look great)

BMW Sport grips( better than stock)

tb synch(UA Synch- vast improvement in reducing bike vibration- no effect on right hand)

risers(they sat me upright like I wanted)

wave a chicken over my head before each ride( does nothing but scare the neighbors)

EVERY ride my right hand goes numb. The vista cruise allows me to take my hand off the bar and flex and relax my hand to bring circulation back.

Important note: my left hand never goes numb. I use a computer at work- alot of mouse and 10 key- right handed.

I sat on bmw's, and Triumphs, and Ducati's. Didn't feel quite right. The ST felt like a Goldwing. I got the impression I would be driving it, not riding it.

I sat on the FJR(friend owns one) and it felt like home.

Most important note: I have never for a single moment regretted buying this bike. I am totally confident that I made the correct choice.

I am sure that I have an issue with my right hand, not the bike. If it was the bike, both hands would go numb, especially with reduced throttle spring tension equalizing the grips.I do practice not holding on as tight as I used to, now that I'm more comfortable and used to the power the BLUE ones deliver.

A glimpse of your future: you have just come back from the first ride where you feel that this bike just fits. You can't wait to get on the net to thank all of us for telling you to stick it out.

Your welcome.

Ride safe
An ST felt like a Goldwing to you???? I have both, and it's not unusual for me to ride them back-to-back on the same day. I can assure you that they don't feel anything like each other. Coming off the Goldwing, the ST feels like a true sportbike (I realize it isn't, but that's the difference coming off a Goldwing).

Thanks for all of the replies. I wouldn't mind getting another Goldwing, but $22K for a 2006 ABS is a joke. I can save $8K by going with the FJR. As I ride sole 99% of the time, I think it's a no brainer.

Everytime I think about buying a V-strom or even the ST1300, I think "man, I could have had a FJR!". Given that my hand goes numb on all the bikes I have had and I won't stop riding, I am leaning towards waiting for my FJR.

Earlier today, I found a discussion on a BMW Sport Touring Forum about "Master Yoda's Riding Position". It was pretty long with a lot of replies, but it basically says you have to fine tune your body for a sport touring bike. I just need to figure out how to bend at the hips and not the waist...????

I am looking at getting some kind of cruise control. I would love to have an electronic cruise control, but I do not want to get that deep into modifying my bike. Right now, my preference is with the brakeaway product. Kind of spendy at $200. but when you grab the front brake, it disengages.

Mike6282

I've used 2 different types of mechanical throttle locks and they both work fine without the "breakaway" function. I never use them as a cruise control, but purely to allow my hand to relax, to remove my throttle hand from the twist grip and hang it at my side and flex my fingers ti relax the muscles ane nerves and to help with circulation.

Whenever I get into traffic or any other place where absolute throttle control is necessary, I don't use my throttle lock. Don't be afraid to try the "cheaper" Vistacruise idea and see if it works for you. You can always replace it.

Check out this place., point and click on "farkles and find Vistacruise.

As an aside, I have the heavier bar ends and the BMW style hand grips. I a few years your senior and these mods suit me fine.

Hi Mike,

Sounds like a bit of death grip to me, a case of squeezing harder than necessary. Try easing up the pressure until the throttle starts slipping under your hand. If you're like me you will be surprised how light a touch it takes to manage the throttle. I have to remind myself all the time ... especially when I'm riding on the aggressive side.

Bobby

OK...two off the wall things.. well three actually..

the grips are really thin... how about fatter foam grips... i really like the Kury grips... thot they were way too fat as first, but now i love them, even if they are on a Harley.

I think you can get foam that will slide over the stock grips... to see if that makes a difference.

clothes... I also found that when I wear one jacket, it fits closer on the front of the armpit than my other jacket, take it off and no more numb fingers. They both feel the same standing, but not riding.

also..how about gel padded gloves... That seems to eliminate all the vibration when I'm riding my Bandit 1200... they work on the Harley, too..

Used to get numb fingers a lot... til I l figured out I had a death grip! <G>

No, no FJR yet... <BG>

Am being mean and buying one right out of the garage of one of the posters here... <G>

Just hoping he wont' change his mind! :hyper:

Mary aka Krashdragon

Sounds like you're very sensitive to vibration. Given your history, I wouldn't have high hopes that the FJR will be better and it might be worse. It sounds like the type of bike makes little difference.
- Mark
Mark,

This is off topic, but I have a friend that is going with his son in May to Alaska and he was wondering if you and Gizmo would like to go!

Tony

Hi Mike. I'm shorter than you, 5'6" and I have only done a few modifications on my FJR. My husband added the Heli bar risers which lifted the bars up and back. Also put on the Throttlemeister bar ends. I didn't want to invest alot of money in the cruise control either and this seemed the way to go. After the installations, we took a 3000 mile trip. I have bilateral carpal tunnel and didn't notice the problems I usually have after the heli bar risers. Don't know if that will take care of your problems but I will never reget buying this bike. It is my favorite of all I've ever owned or ridden. We have a Wing and a Busa and although I like riding them, this is MY bike!

Jo