2007-09 model?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

congo2

Reaction score
After a couple years of not having any street bikes, only a track bike & dirt bikes, its time to get a street bike again! -track bike is gone : (

I am looking at 07-09 models. Any input you have, one year over another and why, would be appreciated. Looking for a used one with at least some basic farkles.

Thanks

After a couple years of not having any street bikes, only a track bike & dirt bikes, its time to get a street bike again! -track bike is gone : (

I am looking at 07-09 models. Any input you have, one year over another and why, would be appreciated. Looking for a used one with at least some basic farkles.

Thanks
It's the same bike! Just Pick the Color that you like. That would be Cherry or Black on the A's :rolleyes:

Either one, You are going to Love This Bike! :clapping:

If I were looking for a used FJR right now, it would be a under 20k mile '08 and up. I just traded up from an '06 and did exactly that, picked up a killer '09 at a great price. Subtle [little] improvements in the '08 and up models make them IMHO, a better bike. Check out the comparison matrix for specifics.

There's a lot of great buys out there...be patient and the right one will show up.

Good luck with your search!

--G

Hard to beat the 2009. Black on black is makes for one gorgeous bike. Walked past more than a few 2010s until I found a new 2009 this past February at a great price. I test drove a used 2007, but they wanted darn near what I ultimately paid for the new 2009. The burgundy color didn't do it for me either.

Looking for a used one . . .
Well, the fact that you're looking for a used one in that model year range is a good start!!!!! :p

'07 is the most "different" color ever put on an American-market FJR. All the others were blue, black, or silver. Maybe a kind of dark gray on some AE years.

The '07 will have the stiffest throttle pull at low throttle, due to the shape of the cam in the grip. They changed that in '08 and later, and the aftermarket has a good fix, if it hasn't already been applied to the bike you look at.

Otherwise, no significant differences between model years. They are all the same bike. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the same bike!

They are all the same bike. Period.
I heartily disagree!

While the changes from one model year to the other may not he huge, I think they are significant. Listen to escapefjrtist - he has owned both and can speak from direct experience and comparison. And I have heard similar from a couple other peeps off the forum and whose opinion I trust.

Didn't we jut talk about this same thing recently?

It's the same bike!

They are all the same bike. Period.
I heartily disagree!

While the changes from one model year to the other may not he huge, I think they are significant. Listen to escapefjrtist - he has owned both and can speak from direct experience and comparison. And I have heard similar from a couple other peeps off the forum and whose opinion I trust.

Didn't we jut talk about this same thing recently?
Te other change that I am aware of was from '09 when the clutch slave cylinder was changed to make it (slightly) easier.

Don

Slightly different fuel injection maps to make the 08s have less abrubt on/off throttle, right? My 04 is very smooth but I think they had to change due to emissions in 06 and the injectors shut off when engine braking I heard, guess it took a couple years to smooth out? 07s have that issue too?

The '08 change was the shape of the throttle cam, takes some of the abruptness out of the off/on transition.

G2 on the aftermarket served the same purpose for earlier Gen-IIs.

Slightly different fuel injection maps to make the 08s have less abrubt on/off throttle, right? My 04 is very smooth but I think they had to change due to emissions in 06 and the injectors shut off when engine braking I heard, guess it took a couple years to smooth out? 07s have that issue too?
As wfooshee pointed out, the main difference is in the shape or profile of the throttle cam. Although there seems to be some thought that the fuel injection mapping has had ongoing tweeks frequently, if not every year.

And the Gen Is also shut off fuel completely at zero throttle so that feature is not unique to the Gen IIs.