2007 AE foot shift switch problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimd

Reaction score
I was putting a new shock on my 07 FJR and thought I had to pull the shift cover off. I removed the screw that holds the shift switch and a ball bearing fell out. I continued removing the cover to finish the job and the next morning after reassembling the MC I put the switch back together as I thought it should be. The ball bearing went in a detent. I aligned the rotating part of the switch with the holes in the casting and thought I had it. NO, I did something wrong. Now when you push down on the shift lever it shifts to first and thats the only gear I have I can shift it back to N using the hand shifter. Also the yellow light is on but it flickers on and off.

Anybody know how to check those things out. the dealer would be a few weeks wait:-(

Feel free to ask questions. I never had a problem with this MC.

I was putting a new shock on my 07 FJR and thought I had to pull the shift cover off. I removed the screw that holds the shift switch and a ball bearing fell out. I continued removing the cover to finish the job and the next morning after reassembling the MC I put the switch back together as I thought it should be. The ball bearing went in a detent. I aligned the rotating part of the switch with the holes in the casting and thought I had it. NO, I did something wrong. Now when you push down on the shift lever it shifts to first and thats the only gear I have I can shift it back to N using the hand shifter. Also the yellow light is on but it flickers on and off.

Anybody know how to check those things out. the dealer would be a few weeks wait:-(

Feel free to ask questions. I never had a problem with this MC.

It sounds as if you've not assembled it correctly, it does require pegs and slots to be aligned correctly.

You really need a workshop manual to set it up, either the Yamaha one or the Haynes.

Meanwhile, just use your finger-flicker to change gear (I've often thought of removing the foot lever, much prefer using my finger to my foot).

I have no idea, but if you need me to look at things on my bike I can as I'm waiting on a stupid expensive sensor for my AE system. I can even take pics if you need a reference. Not sure which part you took apart though.

Hee, hee. The Forum software bites another newbie and causes the multiple thread syndrome. There is a second thread on the same topic here. Future posts should go in one thread.

The link above was self-referencing the same thread. The 2 were merged after a little looking around for the 2 duplicates.