2007 Altitude Surging Problem - Members Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
0-MtWashAUTORd.jpg
:rofl:

Now that's fukin funny right there!

Hang in there AGirl. Everyone is beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

:rofl:

Now that's fukin funny right there!
Definitely! :lol: Looks pretty cool, actually; maybe Alex can whip up a batch of these decals for us! ;)

Anyone tried to get the fix for an 06 yet.
Say what? I haven't read all of this thread, but... co425, are you saying you have the exact, same Altitude Surging issue the '07's have? :huh: Or are you saying you have the low-speed surging issue that is not uncommon with a lot of Gen I / II machines...?

WC,

I have a late '06 and it definitely has the surge - no question about it. I live in Salt Lake and can climb 3500 ft. in a half an hour (and often do). It's become so predictable that I know exactly which turnoffs to take up the Cottonwood canyons so I can shut down the ECU and let it reset. I've even had another FJR driver as a passenger who's experienced it and said "WTF?"

It may not be all of the 06s, but some of us definitely have the cancer.

I've talked with the local dealerships (and explained just what an "FJR" is) with no luck. Steve @ Yamaha has yet to return my calls. It's quite sad.

FjrVfr

I got my ECU installed last night. It took the dealer about 45 minutes.

Since I live in Illinois, I was not able to test it, because we have flat roads.

I got my ECU installed last night. It took the dealer about 45 minutes. Since I live in Illinois, I was not able to test it, because we have flat roads.
??????????? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Discouraging to hear this..... it flies in the face of what we've been by Cypress, which is basically: those owners who have been to their dealers with complaints will be the first to receive these ECUs.

If you live in the flatlands, the Altitude Surging problem should be minimal to you. Curious why Yamaha would send one to your dealer when so many dozens of 2007 owners living in the Rockies or other mountainous regions are being affected so badly....
shrug.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my ECU installed last night. It took the dealer about 45 minutes. Since I live in Illinois, I was not able to test it, because we have flat roads.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

You weren't even on my list, you didn't speak up earlier, you live in the flat lands of NoWhereVille, and you went to a dealer to get a replacement ECU for a bike that you probably have never experienced a single surge since you've had it?
donno.gif

Give me a f****** break! The limited number of replacement ECU's need to go to the people who live in, or regularly go to high altitude areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Karma cashes in on you with a vengeance!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....
You weren't even on my list, you didn't speak up earlier, you live in the flat lands of NoWhereVille, and you went to a dealer to get a replacement ECU for a bike that you probably have never experienced a single surge since you've had it?
donno.gif

Give me a f****** break! The limited number of replacement ECU's need to go to the people who live in, or regularly go to high altitude areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Karma cashes in on you with a vengeance!
Now hold on here. That was a bit harsh. For all we know FJRSki did a lot of riding this summer in high altitude places that really put a damper on his trip/vacation. We don't know all the details.

Besides, if he didn't deserve a new ECU yet, then that is Yamaha's fault. Wholly. Not FJRSki's.

my dealer called yamaha on monday and they told him that a tech update would be coming out in a couple of weeks and that they will be replacing the ecu's under warranty then. he said that they were working now to replace all the ones that were in areas that really need them. i figuire i will have mine changed out in about 4 weeks

Now hold on here. That was a bit harsh.
Maybe a bit harsh, but I totally understand his emotion. Regardless of the newb's situation it still looks really lame for a newb on the board with 7 posts to get an ECU that lives in the flats. TruWrecks put so much work in on this issue for the benefit of the forum and I'd love for him to have gotten the first ECU replacement.

Maybe a bit harsh, but I totally understand his emotion. Regardless of the newb's situation it still looks really lame for a newb on the board with 7 posts to get an ECU that lives in the flats. TruWrecks put so much work in on this issue for the benefit of the forum and I'd love for him to have gotten the first ECU replacement.
I understand his emotion too. And in his position would be uset also. I am just saying direct that angst at the appropriate source - Yamaha. Not another 07 owner with a poorly running FJR.

And I thought TruWrecks did get one of the first ECU replacements. Am I mistaken here?

Don't argue with me Iggy. Don't want to have to add to your warn meter. :****:

True. We're entering that period that Yamaha is doing right to fix things...and now it takes times to get new ECU's built and distributed. Big picture....big picture....big picture.

...man, you've had your traditional spinny icon for a long time now....I guess I gotta get to fiddling with Paint pretty soon...

I am just saying direct that angst at the appropriate source - Yamaha. Not another 07 owner with a poorly running FJR.
I don't think Yamaha is to blame here.

It is my understanding that this first batch of ECUs are allocated to those who have long-standing complaints via their local dealers. In other words, local dealers contact Cypress with the pertinent info, and then based on several factors, the ECUs are sent to these dealers as appropriate. Yamaha responds to the local dealer on this issue, not the customer.

So if this story is accurate, this is what I want to believe happened: the n00b toured away from his home this summer and was into the mountains, experienced the AS problem, returned home and made multiple visits to his local dealer complaining of the problem. Dealer calls Yamaha, dude's name is placed on the ECU fix Wait List. With that done, he doesn't bother adding himself to TruWreck's list. Or, hell, maybe he wasn't even aware of it; he's been a member a whopping 2 months and has only 7 posts....

Trying to give the benefit of the doubt here.... :unsure:

Got an 07

Yes, surged/surges at altitude (around 7000 and 8500 elev)

didn't know about the turnoff/turn on method of revival... gonna try it

Mentioned it to dealer, will PRESS it this next week

Bike has only 4000(-) miles on it

Would love to join mob to storm castle with pitchforks and torches if it helps with a fix

C

LOVE MY BIKE!!!!!!!!!!

I experienced the surge when I went on holiday in Spain. No issues here in England. I contacted my dealer - but basically I said I wanted it fixing before my next holiday abroad - next July. He was quite understanding !!!!

Alan

Anyone tried to get the fix for an 06 yet.
Say what? I haven't read all of this thread, but... co425, are you saying you have the exact, same Altitude Surging issue the '07's have? :huh: Or are you saying you have the low-speed surging issue that is not uncommon with a lot of Gen I / II machines...?
I can't answer for co425 but on the list there are and have been 06's listed. I gave my info but was not added to the list here on the board though the list doesn't qualify anyone for a fix or not and it has been said throughout this process that 06's really weren't having the same issue as the 07's.......WRONG. YES there are 2006 Yamaha's with the same type surging as the 2007's. Though some are not as frequent or severe as the 07's it is a altitude surge. My 06 is last three vin numbers 135 of the early 06's and there are vin's in the higher range as well of the 06's that are affected also. No real pattern as I see it with the 06 vin's. Some have the problem some don't just like the 07's. I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer as well and frankly I don't like the way Yamaha is dealing with this either. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. I think part of the problem even with my opinion and I sometimes forget, is that because we here have the bikes and know our bikes well and we know when there is even a slight glitch. So really we are a sounding board for Yamaha and therefore we know about the problem usually before they do. The R1 ECU problem is a prime example. The R1 riders were going through this first just like we are. So I can't get too upset with everything. I just feel like Yamaha could have put out some kind of notice to the customers who have these bikes that there is a problem and that they are working on it, not just leaving us in the dark and making phone calls back and forth between Customer Service and the dealers with conflicting information the whole way. Thats my $.02 for what its worth. My dealer said he would call me back in 2 to 3 days and that was about 6 days ago. So now I will have to again chase down the problem to try and get some updated info. Yamaha has known that this problem has existed for months and I have not once got a letter or call from them on my case that I reported months ago. I have to contact them! Let's see now its Tick, Clunk, Whistle, Surge....Know what I mean Vern? PM. <>< :unsure:

yes my altitude surging is the EXACT same problem as the 07's. My vin is 0152 dont know if this is low or high but my bike sucks in the mountains thats for sure. I live less than an hour from prime mountain riding in three directions but i dont want to ride up there cause this bike is dangerous as hell.

You're right guys - I think he should have told the dealer who was shipped an ECU - "No, don't fix my bike yet - ship it to someone else who 'posted' on this site early in the complaint cycle." Now I ask you - what sense does that make to take it out on this guy? If he complained about the issue and the dealer told him to bring the bike in for a replacement ECU, I would fully expect him to do so unless he's a fool. He paid good money for his bike just like we did.

Herkypilot

My 06 has surged 3 times in 22,000 miles. Every time while descending altitude. And I do A LOT of mountain riding....

I went to my dealer a couple of weeks ago and talked to the svc. manager. I told him what truewrecks said about the new ecu. He called yamaha and they said that I should crack the throttle by more than 20% when the surging occurs. Doing this the ecu takes another altitude reading and corrects the surge. From what I gathered from the conversation no ecu is coming my way. I live in east Tn. None of this makes any sense.

I went to my dealer a couple of weeks ago and talked to the svc. manager. I told him what truewrecks said about the new ecu. He called yamaha and they said that I should crack the throttle by more than 20% when the surging occurs. Doing this the ecu takes another altitude reading and corrects the surge. From what I gathered from the conversation no ecu is coming my way. I live in east Tn. None of this makes any sense.
The 20% throttle thing is complete bullshit. If it were that simple, one would only have to do it once evey time surging showed up and you could climb another 1500 ft without problems. That is not the case, as anyone who has dealt with this knows, the problem is much more extensive and complicated. Once suring starts you have to stop and restart. If you use WOT a few times before surging starts is delays its onset but does not eliminate it. Neither of which would be true if the 20% throttle is the cause. I hope the real engineers who "fixed" the ECU know that and we are only hearing watered down (mis-) explanations from the technically challenged customer service folks.

By the way, WTF is up with people living in flatlands getting these ECU's now, while people living in the Rockies don't? I went to my dealer on this first week of June. The mountain passes are all closing in a week or so, hell A-Basin is opening right now for skiing. Riding season in the mountians is nearly over. Maybe they don't want anyone to test it at 12000 ft this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.