2007 heat shield on an 2004?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TownsendsFJR1300

Reaction score
While doing a throttle spring unwind on my friends 2007 FJR we came across a heat shield (from atop the engine, under the gas tank) which I hadn't seen until then. I know some of the guys have made their own for the earlier bikes however the factory shield fits very, very nicely. It looks as thou it would fit without a problem.. Has anyone yet tried putting a heat shield from a 2007 model to a 2004 bike and if so, the results? Thanks and safe riding.. Scott

Ditto on that, Scott! I've got an '03. The only problem I could forsee is that there might be a special provision on the shield equipped bikes that we don't have on ours to hold it properly in place. I noticed there's a plastic push pin that holds it down somewhere behind the throttle bodies. Other than that, I think it just more or less sits there and maybe wedges down under the T bar in front.

The heat the FJR makes is high but normal. I've heard of guys doing things to increase the amount of air the engine gets, like making holes in the front lower cowling below the radiator. The problem, I think, is that all that hot air doesn't have a good way of escaping. I'm trying to think of a place to open up behind the engine to help the air sweep through more cleanly.

If you do the mod, show us how you did it. I haven't done a search yet to find out how much of a difference that shield makes. I think it mostly protects the fuel tank from seeing all that heat.

Ditto on that, Scott! I've got an '03. The only problem I could forsee is that there might be a special provision on the shield equipped bikes that we don't have on ours to hold it properly in place. I noticed there's a plastic push pin that holds it down somewhere behind the throttle bodies. Other than that, I think it just more or less sits there and maybe wedges down under the T bar in front.
The heat the FJR makes is high but normal. I've heard of guys doing things to increase the amount of air the engine gets, like making holes in the front lower cowling below the radiator. The problem, I think, is that all that hot air doesn't have a good way of escaping. I'm trying to think of a place to open up behind the engine to help the air sweep through more cleanly.

If you do the mod, show us how you did it. I haven't done a search yet to find out how much of a difference that shield makes. I think it mostly protects the fuel tank from seeing all that heat.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Being in south Florida, its hot anyway so anything helps.. I've done the crommit left side heat fix (probably knocked off 1/2 the heat from the left side), wrapped the header (helped some), smaller windshield, however the gas tank will still get very, very hot (too hot to rest your legs upon).. I know the release pin your talking about, that shouldn't be a problem as the factory heat shield seems to fit like a glove... On one site, that covers $77.00.. I'll check with my local guy and probably order one. I'll let ya know the results..

I don't think it will fit, and even if it does, it won't give the same benefit. I remember hearing that not only did they add that insulator, but they also increased the air gap between it and the bottom of the tank. I think it was plus 10mm, and there's ducting up front as part of the radiator change that keeps cool air coming through.

So it might fit, and it might work some, but you won't see the full benefits.

One other issue with adapting a GenII heat shield to a GenI bike, though probably minor, is that the air valve (emissions) was relocated on the GenII FJR's. I can't remember the specifics but I remember looking at it on my buddy's '06 and thinking that it would interfere if I tried to adapt the heat shield to my '05.

I agree regarding trapped air. I'd love to figure a way to vent the engine compartment. I think this would help keep my seat from heating up which is an aggravating issue on hot days. I tried to figurea way to do this on my bike but couldn't come up with a way didn't require redesigning the air filter and ECU mount. On my bike, the anti-lock control valve is mounted in this area. On non-ABS GenI's it would be much easier.

Regarding tank heat: I thought I read somewhere that the fuel injection system recirculates fuel from the FI manifold. Since the manifold is heated by virtue of it's location I would expect the fuel in the tank to heat up gradually with a full tank (large thermal mass) and quickly with a near empty tank (small thermal mass). There may be nothing that can be done to address this issue. Yamaha appears to have 'fixed' this by adding a plastic part with an air-gap to insulate the rider's legs from the tank.

One other issue with adapting a GenII heat shield to a GenI bike, though probably minor, is that the air valve (emissions) was relocated on the GenII FJR's. I can't remember the specifics but I remember looking at it on my buddy's '06 and thinking that it would interfere if I tried to adapt the heat shield to my '05.
I agree regarding trapped air. I'd love to figure a way to vent the engine compartment. I think this would help keep my seat from heating up which is an aggravating issue on hot days. I tried to figurea way to do this on my bike but couldn't come up with a way didn't require redesigning the air filter and ECU mount. On my bike, the anti-lock control valve is mounted in this area. On non-ABS GenI's it would be much easier.

Regarding tank heat: I thought I read somewhere that the fuel injection system recirculates fuel from the FI manifold. Since the manifold is heated by virtue of it's location I would expect the fuel in the tank to heat up gradually with a full tank (large thermal mass) and quickly with a near empty tank (small thermal mass). There may be nothing that can be done to address this issue. Yamaha appears to have 'fixed' this by adding a plastic part with an air-gap to insulate the rider's legs from the tank.
I believe the fuel pump is now a returnless type. Pressure is regulated right at the pump so there is no longer a need for a return line from the rail.

Definitely agree with the full tank / low tank comment. I swear, with a low tank on a GenI bike, you can feel it get hotter right in front of your 'nads when you decelerate from freeway speeds for a while. The fuel injectors shut down (or almost shut down) on decel, so the volume of fuel returned to the tank is greater. More hot fuel returning to that smaller thermal mass has a perceptible effect.

As to adding space under the tank, how about sticking a couple of washers under the two bolts that hold the tank down in the front - heck, I think I'll try that and see if it helps.

I think thats a pretty good idea as well, perhaps spacing the tank up just a little bit. My bike does not have ABS. I haven't had my tank up for at least a year so I'm not sure exactly what has changed between the 2004 and 2007. The single gas line did appear to have the curve smoothed out some preventing kinking. I know some folks from the forum have insulated their gas tank with some sucess. In either case, I ordered a 2007 heat shield last week and should have it this week.. I'll document how well it fits, modifications if necessary and the overall results. Also, has anyone documented the results of venting the forward (triangle shaped) fairing directly in front of the header and if so the results? I would think that would help pass more air thru the engine compartment however what would the result be regarding radiator cooling...

Last edited by a moderator:
Smitty sells one (or at least used to) with a cut for the fuel hose all set up. I put one on my '03 and it made a huge difference in tank heat. Fiber blanket with foil on upper side.

Contact Smitty141.

As for the cut-outs in the fairing behind the wheel, I read a report early on in my FJR life about it being done. The rider was pleased with the results on his legs, but concerned about the extra bar on his temp gauge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smitty sells one (or at least used to) with a cut for the fuel hose all set up. I put one on my '03 and it made a huge difference in tank heat. Fiber blanket with foil on upper side.

Contact Smitty141.

+1 - made a big difference on tank heat on my '05 here in Houston. I have done the Cromeit heat fix also.

I think thats a pretty good idea as well, perhaps spacing the tank up just a little bit. My bike does not have ABS. I haven't had my tank up for at least a year so I'm not sure exactly what has changed between the 2004 and 2007. The single gas line did appear to have the curve smoothed out some preventing kinking. I know some folks from the forum have insulated their gas tank with some sucess. In either case, I ordered a 2007 heat shield last week and should have it this week.. I'll document how well it fits, modifications if necessary and the overall results. Also, has anyone documented the results of venting the forward (triangle shaped) fairing directly in front of the header and if so the results? I would think that would help pass more air thru the engine compartment however what would the result be regarding radiator cooling...
On my '04 non-ABS, I raised the front of my tank about a half an inch, insulated the underside of the tank with the reflective self-stick insulation, and installed Smitty's 'blanket'. I have no heat issues with the tank at all now.

On my '04 non-ABS, I raised the front of my tank about a half an inch, insulated the underside of the tank with the reflective self-stick insulation, and installed Smitty's 'blanket'. I have no heat issues with the tank at all now.

I PM'ed Smitty earlier today to check on the availability of his insulation....

<snip> Regarding tank heat: I thought I read somewhere that the fuel injection system recirculates fuel from the FI manifold. Since the manifold is heated by virtue of it's location I would expect the fuel in the tank to heat up gradually with a full tank (large thermal mass) and quickly with a near empty tank (small thermal mass). There may be nothing that can be done to address this issue. Yamaha appears to have 'fixed' this by adding a plastic part with an air-gap to insulate the rider's legs from the tank.
I believe the fuel pump is now a returnless type. Pressure is regulated right at the pump so there is no longer a need for a return line from the rail. <snip>
FWIW I have mulled buying a fuel cooler and installing it as part of the return line from the FI rail. See for example this one by Flex-a-Lite. Not sure if there's room up there to put it in front of the radiator and you'd surely want to make sure that it was as secure and protected as possible lest you end up like

Rancho

Reviving a very old thread:

I bought this 03 with a dented tank and happily the previous owner had a brand new on in a box. The existing tank has some marginal heat sheild from the factory. I ordered some marginally better stuff on Amazon. My question is... would I be so lucky as to find a pattern to cut out the bits and holes for the bottom of the tank?

Also, thank GAWD for the tips on removing the fuel pump assembly. I didn't have to spend half the day scratching me head on that one.... Thanks!