2007 or 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakehunter

Reaction score
Have the opportunity to buy a used 2007 A model with 750 miles for $11,000. However, I've seen message traffic about OTD prices in the mid $11's for a 2008.

I like the color of the 2007 - is there any reason not to save a few $$$ by getting the '07 instead of a brand new '08?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the California prices have been higher, haven't they? That means you'd have to travel to get the best price on an 08, and travel's not free.

The 08 will have a full warranty, whereas at least part of the warranty will be gone on the 07.

The 08 has a handful of upgrades, including different windshield, different ecu/map, and probably a couple of other things. Nothing real major, but there are a few differences.

Can you negotiate a better deal on the 07?

Can you get the 08 locally from a dealer with an excellent service department? Quality service after the sale is a big plus if you have the budget for it and your time is worth something.

I went for a leftover 06, and it was an excellent deal... but I don't know how many more are out there at this point, but if the bottom line is important, an older leftover can be a good deal.

Most of the California prices have been higher, haven't they? That means you'd have to travel to get the best price on an 08, and travel's not free.
The 08 will have a full warranty, whereas at least part of the warranty will be gone on the 07.
You're probably right about CA pricing - just mentioned what I've read lurking on this board. Am willing to travel but that could cancel any savings.

The 08 has a handful of upgrades, including different windshield, different ecu/map, and probably a couple of other things. Nothing real major, but there are a few differences.
This is that type of info I'm most interested in hearing about.... I'm sure I won't regret the '07 but want to go into it knowing the differences.

Can you negotiate a better deal on the 07?
Going to try to get it down to $10,000 or $10,500.

Can you get the 08 locally from a dealer with an excellent service department? Quality service after the sale is a big plus if you have the budget for it and your time is worth something.
I like the idea of supporting a local dealer and will give them my service $$$.

Thanks for the information.

I purchased a left over 07A in Jan of this year for $11,999 and felt like I got a very good deal. An 07A with 750 miles in showroom condition sounds pretty good. And, as was asked earlier, could you get it for $10,500?

An '08 in the $11,500 range sounds too good to be true which usually means it is. The only thing I would like with an '08 vs. my '07 was the throttle mods. This appears to be a bigger problem with some riders than with others, so it may be what you were used to pre FJR days.

Either way they are great bikes and worth MSRP if that is what you have to pay.

One upgrade to the 08s, I think was a lighter throttle control on the get go. Many 06-07 do a G2 thottle mod to get their slower throttle more comfortable and not so get up and go. I test rode a 07 but it was an AE and the thottle did seem a little touchy but it was my first time on an AE and it is hard to compare to mine 8 monthes later. I have no complaints about the throttle control on the 08 other than it's a bit stiff on long rides which is going to be common to all years.

other 08 improvments:

more scratch resistant sheild worth, $0.50 in my book.

change in brake system, I don't quite understand the improvement so I'll give another $0.50 that the engineers have some good reasoning for it.

beautiful black paint with sparkles that shows all the dirt worth an extra $1,000.00 IMHO. :rolleyes:

I paid $12,500 about a month ago but OTD was quite a bit more. I didn't care. I needed it and so far it has been worth every penny.

I love all the colors Yamaha has used for the FJR's. In fact some of their R1's and R6's have the best colors available..IMHO. But I'm a little partial to Black Cherry. :blink:

If the 07 bike has had the ECU recall complete I think that's a moot point. For the difference in warranty, have the dealership look up when the '07 warranty's end-date is. If there is still time, negotiate the YES warranty for no more than $400 (D&H is still cheap, but I heard their price might go up a bit). Otherwise, it's completely up to you.

I don't have issues with my stock throttle at all... maybe my wrists are stronger ... (oh crap, here we go :) )

As much as I like black, everytime I see my Cherry 07 next to an 08, I am glad I have the Cherry (personal preference). Go with the one that puts the smile on your face. That is what it is all about. The differences are minor and can be easily compensated for. Get the YES and the warranty discrimator goes away.

Have fun!

SS

Newer is always better in my opinion. New, flawless and slightly used is best. The first guy takes the biggest hit. Helps on resale to buy newer (when you go thru bikes like socks). In fact, I probably keep my socks longer. $12500.00 for my 08. Black is always faster and it looks like this ones a keeper. Also, my buddy has the AE. I'd never buy it because I prefer to experience the real ride feel of a clutch. Hes always in gear.........can never clutch in a turn and dump it on exit. Good luck, either way you'll love the beast.

Thanks for all the input.

Given that there's no major issues - although I've been riding a cruiser long enough to worry a little about a scratched up wind screen - I feel pretty good about the '07 if I can get the price right and get the YES done. I really like the color and I'll have some extra $$$ for the trunk, seat, etc.

Otherwise I'll get an '08 and have that big grin like the rest of you...

Went to the dealer last night and stood around looking at an '07 AE for about 30 minutes but managed to say strong and not drive it away....

Did I say I like the Black Cherry color...

Thanks again.

I purchased a left over 07A in Jan of this year for $11,999 and felt like I got a very good deal. An 07A with 750 miles in showroom condition sounds pretty good. And, as was asked earlier, could you get it for $10,500?
An '08 in the $11,500 range sounds too good to be true which usually means it is. The only thing I would like with an '08 vs. my '07 was the throttle mods. This appears to be a bigger problem with some riders than with others, so it may be what you were used to pre FJR days.

Either way they are great bikes and worth MSRP if that is what you have to pay.
I recently purchased an 08A in California for $11,478.00 [plus tax and license], but before I did I looked at two NEW 07 AE's that were discounted $6,000 to approximately $10,600. I would think that you should be able to get a used 07 for around $10K OTD. Remember that even if it only has 750 miles and in great shape its still used.

Considering I purchase my 08 for ~ $11.5 which is about a 15% discount from MSRP of a new bike, so if you deducted 20% for being used (which is pretty conservative) that should get the price down to approximately $9K plus tax and license.

Personally I wanted a Black Cherry FJR but couldn't find one, if I had found a used 07 in good condition I would have paid $10K plus tax and license. Any more and I would choose the new 08. My threshold for pains is around a $1500 difference.

You have nothing to lose by calling local dealers and offering them $11,500 plus tax and license for a new 08 to see if they will take it. You might be surprised, I was.

Good luck, either way you seem to be in the ball park and as you are already aware the FJR is a great bike.

I was in the exact position last Feb. After a serious comparison I went with the 07 (paid 11,600) with a deal on the warranty. I am a big fan of gloss black ... but I sure did love that black cherry ... that along with the couple grand in savings ... no brainer. I did ad the G2 mod, and that was it. The windshield is the same as any I have ever had before ... no scraches yet, and the breaks are the best I have ever experienced. No worries, go for the savings.