2007 Top Box Recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvnmaniac

Reaction score
Okay just got the bike home from having the Ignition and Yamaha top box recalls taken care of. Took the top box off and there is a metal plate under it. I'm assuming that is the cure to whatever the problem was. My problem is i cannot get the top box back on unless i eliminatete that plate. Is there a trick i'm missing.

THANKS

I seem to recall helping a friend deal with his....same problem. I think that he had to trim down the rubber pads on the bottom of the top box. Pretty sure, but it was last spring so memory a bit fuzzy?????

I'm not sure I understand what I read.

The rework was done, the dealer put the top box on the new mounting plate, you took it off at home and can't get it back on?

The recall kit is basically a metal plate that gets taped to the bottom of the box, a new plastic mounting plate, a rubber strip for the top box and a couple of plastic rivets. The metal plate should be flush on the bottom of the top box. If the plate is not flush it would be because the rubber feet weren't removed from the top box.

If the trunk and mounting plate were done per the recall and the dealer was able to get the top box to clip on but you can't it's time to call the dealer and ask for instructions. There shouldn't be anything different between mounting the pre and post recall trunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rework was done, the dealer put the top box on the new mounting plate, you took it off at home and can't get it back on?

The recall kit is basically a metal plate that gets taped to the bottom of the box, a new plastic mounting plate, a rubber strip for the top box and a couple of plastic rivets. The metal plate should be flush on the bottom of the top box. If the plate is not flush it would be because the rubber feet weren't removed from the top box.

If the trunk and mounting plate were done per the recall and the dealer was able to get the top box to clip on but you can't it's time to call the dealer and ask for instructions. There shouldn't be anything different between mounting the pre and post recall trunk.
When i took the top box off the bike the metal plate was just laying there on top of the rack. Not home right now but i'm almost sure the rubber feet are still there attached to the BOTTOM OF THE top box, which would be the slight clearance that i"m lacking....... When you say the metal plate should be flush are you also saying it should be attached because it definitely wasn't.. Not too keen on this top box anyway. Would rather have my Givi 52 mounted. Plus its the silver/gray box which doesn't match my dark cherry at all.... I recently purchased the bike with this box included and the PO hadn't had the time to do any recalls. I had the ignition recall taken care of at the same time. So it sounds like the DEALER didn't mount it correctly...

THANKS

When i took the top box off the bike the metal plate was just laying there on top of the rack. Not home right now but i'm almost sure the rubber feet are still there attached to the BOTTOM OF THE top box, which would be the slight clearance that i"m lacking....... When you say the metal plate should be flush are you also saying it should be attached because it definitely wasn't.. Not too keen on this top box anyway. Would rather have my Givi 52 mounted. Plus its the silver/gray box which doesn't match my dark cherry at all.... I recently purchased the bike with this box included and the PO hadn't had the time to do any recalls. I had the ignition recall taken care of at the same time. So it sounds like the DEALER didn't mount it correctly...

THANKS
The plate should be attached to the bottom of the box, time to talk to the service manager.

You should not have accepted a silver one as they make a Dark Cherry one.

The plate should be attached to the bottom of the box, time to talk to the service manager.

You should not have accepted a silver one as they make a Dark Cherry one.

[/quote

The PO purchased the silver box i'm th new owner as of 2 weeks ago 6200 miles on the bike.... Looking to have plenty of fun with this. I own a few FJ 1200"s...

SAGA continues..... to make a long story short.... I took the bike back. top box supposedly taken care of correctly. A mile from the stealer i'm returning with a scraped up Top Box because it came off the bike after THEY put it on and sent me on my way. This Tue a Yamaha Rep is suppose to look at it and see why the box came off. All i want to hear is when am i getting a new box and find out why it came off......

Well, now at least you can get a box that matches your ride.
Dropped the bike off today so the Yamaha "rep" can look at it Tue. They did order a new Top Box and it is definitely Dark Cherry :yahoo: I guess they will fight over who is gonna pay for it. Either way i should have the bike back by Wed with the correct color top and hopefully it wont roll down the road again....... It will be put to the test starting this Fri, headed to Tenn, NC, North Ga and may touch SC........ First big trip on this bike........ Hell i've had the bike almost 4 weeks and only put about 200 miles on it.......

The Yamaha Tech was still there when i picked the bike up today. Apparently there was a problem with the latching mechanism and also my "reinforcement plate kit" did not have the 3 rubber dampers in the front. so between the 2 was the reason for the Top Box to unlatch from the bike. Of course i was inconvenienced with all this but i now have a brand new dark cherry top instead of the silver one, with no cost to me...the invoice showed it was over $450 after taxes....I'll find out Friday how sturdy this one is i have a big trip coming up.........

The Yamaha Tech was still there when i picked the bike up today. Apparently there was a problem with the latching mechanism and also my "reinforcement plate kit" did not have the 3 rubber dampers in the front. so between the 2 was the reason for the Top Box to unlatch from the bike. Of course i was inconvenienced with all this but i now have a brand new dark cherry top instead of the silver one, with no cost to me...the invoice showed it was over $450 after taxes....I'll find out Friday how sturdy this one is i have a big trip coming up.........
Now the world is good again, GO RIDE!! :yahoo:

Good deal...

Sounds like the Yammie Dealer and Rep, stepped up and took care of their mistake.

Mistakes happen; accepting responsibility and rendering a solution is good service.

Glad for ya.