2008 Mustang Bullitt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari Rankum

NAFO Karting Champion, 2012
Reaction score
I test rode one of these today. It surprised me. It was actually a real kick in the pants. I had a blast.

YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
That's where the conversation turned comical.

Knowing that Ford is down 30% in sales, knowing that gasoline has gone way, way up in price since this 20 MPG (on the highway, GULP) car was conceived, and knowing that these cars were sent to this dealership from other dealerships that couldn't sell them, I was expecting a hefty discount off sticker. Guess what? That's right! "Well. sir, we're going to sell every one of these at full sticker, there's just no way we could budge off that." Full sticker is $32K. I thanked them profusely for the rockin' test drive anyway. ...And I left my number.

That's where the conversation turned comical.

Knowing that Ford is down 30% in sales, knowing that gasoline has gone way, way up in price since this 20 MPG (on the highway, GULP) car was conceived, and knowing that these cars were sent to this dealership from other dealerships that couldn't sell them, I was expecting a hefty discount off sticker. Guess what? That's right! "Well. sir, we're going to sell every one of these at full sticker, there's just no way we could budge off that." Full sticker is $32K. I thanked them profusely for the rockin' test drive anyway. ...And I left my number.
what even sadder is as soon as you drive it off the lot, its worth no more than a used GT mustang......

"Well. sir, we're going to sell every one of these at full sticker, there's just no way we could budge off that." Full sticker is $32K. I thanked them profusely for the rockin' test drive anyway. ...And I left my number.
Now, for comparison's sake, go test-drive a Subaru WRX STI and get back to us....

I'm guessing it'll be like a Harley/FJR comparo, except the Subaru costs a bit more...

The 2008 WRX STI starts at $34,995. If you want the $1800 navigation system, you’ll have to first purchase the optional BBS wheels and fog lights package for $2000. Tack on a $645 delivery charge, regardless of package choice, and a loaded STI nearly touches $40,000
...but probably worth it by comparison.

But, there's just something about a rear-drive muscle car.

Ari, if they come to their senses, bring it to EOM.

But, there's just something about a rear-drive muscle car.
Yeah. I got to admit, steering with the right pedal and the rear of the car is a whole lotta fun. But I think it was the raucous sound coming out of the pipes that really got my attention. Just like my bicycle was waaaaaay faster with that big-bore playing card in the spokes, this thing was a kick to drive.

I test rode one of these today. It surprised me. It was actually a real kick in the pants. I had a blast.

YouTube
A buddy of mine had a 2008 Roush Mustang at his shop a couple of weeks ago. The dealer that had taken it on trade wanted him to buy it baaaaaddddd. It was there, the keys were in it, so I thought, what the heck, I might as well test drive it as well. Man was that a saweeeet ride. Burned rubber into 3rd, shifted to fourth and was gone. Dealer told my buddy that $32,000 would drive it off the lot. He bought a Harley instead. Go figure.

Mark

what even sadder is as soon as you drive it off the lot, its worth no more than a used GT mustang......
nope. what's even sadder is that it's an old-school design meant to be fast-in-a-straight line and they still expect to get that kind of cash for it.

there are several other options out there with better mpg AND handling and in roughly the same performance tier that sell for the same or lower price. some even AWD (hint hint).

Just like bikes, why buy "fully loaded" when you can buy the base model and farkle the hell out of it?

https://www.fjr-tips.org/sti/

https://www.fjr-tips.org/sti/cat-back/after-rev.mp3

Ugly, cheaply made, worth spit by the time a 3 year note is done. Every HS boy*s dream.
Too bad you feel that way. A front engine V-8, RWD 'sporty' car is just plain fun to drive. We currntly have a 95 Mustang GT convertible in the garage with 175K+ miles with only minor signs of aging. Other than the outdated design it was born with.

Only major repair was the clutch(which I replaced only because the throw-out bearing was gone somewhere around 125K). It does like tires and hates snow but that comes with the territory. Hard to beat it for just plain fun to drive. But I'm old school.

And what's wrong with a high school boy's dream?

No matter what the dealer says; never pay more than 1-2% above invoice. In this case, I would bet you could get it for invoice which should be about $3500 less than sticker. Don't let them bullshit you about not making any money. There is "holdback" built into the invoice price, so the dealer gets paid either way. If not, wait until Sept/Oct, when the 2009 models start rolling out and the dealer will have to drop his pants. Ford may even offer a rebate, which means invoice minus rebate, but on a "specialty" car, I doubt it.

They probably won't discount, as this may end up being the last SMQ car for a while (they sold every one of the 1999 Bullitt model). They limited production to less than 8k units, me recalls.

This is a pretty sweet ride, and I am not normally a Mustang guy (prefer Bimmers). I actually talked about the Bullitt car with Steve's son Chad, who road tested one out and declared it worthy, as well as the editor for Motor Trend, who gave it high marks for handling and power and retrothenticity (loosely defined as being true to the spirit of the original). Considering the price of the Shelby models (which sell for lots more than their list), the Bullitt model may be the sleeper value. You get a few SMQ/Bullitt tchotkes as well (tshits, posters etc).