2008 Steering Head Bearing Upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleTy

LOVE 2 RIDE & RIDE 2 LOVE
Reaction score
I will be upgrading my suspension and need some helpful recommendations.

I am going with a Penske 8987 rear shock and GP suspension upgrade fork kit.

I wanted to do the steering head bearing also.

I would like to know from personal experiences what brand of steering head bearing would be a great choice.

Thank you for your feedback and recommendation.

Some swear by the tapered bearings sold by All Balls. I checked mine and lubed them once just to say I did it but I think the stock bearings are just fine when properly torqued. IMHO

In my opinion, the All Balls tapered roller bearings are definitely worth it. I replaced my stock bearings with them last year and the 40mph deceleration "wobble" is completely gone.

Ed.

In my opinion, the All Balls tapered roller bearings are definitely worth it. I replaced my stock bearings with them last year and the 40mph deceleration "wobble" is completely gone.

Ed.
Ed, I remember you mentioning that you had replaced the steering head bearings because of a wobble problem. I have never had any hint of a decel wobble on this bike. I wonder what the difference is with some who experience this issue? In your case, I'm pretty sure it wasn't simply a lack of proper maintenance!

I had a wobble on a previous bike (Yamaha Venture) and it turned out to be a cupped front tire in combination with head bearings that were not tight enough. The Venture was a bit of a boat anyway and I wasn't tempted to do more than the minimum to optimize steering. I'll leave the steering head bearings on the FJR alone until I have issues.

Ross

All Balls tapered roller bearings are definitely worth it
Couldn't agree more.

Picked up my 07 late last year, rode it back from Victoria to Queensland and had a few issues with it.

The bike was only 11k kms old and did a BIG service shortly afterwards, everything including tapered roller bearings.

The origional roller bearings / race were buggered.

Tapered rollers fixed the deceleration problem even with a stuffed front tyre.

I think the best choice for steering head bearing is "All Balls".

Does everyone here agree that this would the best choice?

Last edited by a moderator: