2009 R1 might not be the prettiest looking bike, but

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toe, thanks for posting the info and link. If I were looking at a sport bike, this would probably be the one. Price tag increased by over 2K though from last year, but I guess since it is a total rework that is explainable. B)

I think it looks fine. I remember when the 2004 R1 came out a lot of people thought it was ugly too.

The motor is also an even shorter stroke design than the current motor. It will be interesting to see how well it accelerates. Brochure stuff all sounds very good but year one of the YCCI (Yam chip controlled intake) did not produce the midrange hit that it promised. Now we get an even shorter stroke motor with the same promises. Hope it all works as well as the M1's seem to be working this year. I especially hope the engine runs smoothly. If it's a buzzer, that won't be embraced by the market. This is an exciting design concept and I sure hope it works better all around rather than just in a racing context. If it works, I'm glad they make it in yellow. ^_^

Here is a little progression as to how the R1's have change over the years. :D

R1-1.gif

Is it January yet?? I want this bike here NOW!!!! :evilsmiley02: :dwarf:

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>The motor is also an even shorter stroke design than the current motor. It will be interesting to see how well it accelerates. Brochure stuff all sounds very good but year one of the YCCI (Yam chip controlled intake) did not produce the midrange hit that it promised. Now we get an even shorter stroke motor with the same promises. Hope it all works as well as the M1's seem to be working this year. I especially hope the engine runs smoothly. If it's a buzzer, that won't be embraced by the market. This is an exciting design concept and I sure hope it works better all around rather than just in a racing context. If it works, I'm glad they make it in yellow. ^_^
It should accelerate well (in an overall sense) but, may not yield the top 1000cc 1/4 mile times?

Vale's M-1 crew chief, Jeremy Burgess, says, "You only get to use max horsepower maybe once around the race course -- but, you get to use strong acceleration on every corner."

I doubt it will be a 'buzzer' -- it has a balance shaft.

I think the concept is sound -- in fact, I like all-'rounder type engines -- but, that in no way guarantees success in the marketplace (especially the American market...). In the '60s, the Triumph 650cc TR6 single-carb model may have been the better all-rounder -- but it was the dual-carb Bonneville that sold in America. Later, Kawasaki's 750cc H-2 2-cycle triple was all but unrideable in a real world context -- but was very successful in America.

The new R-1 will be an in-line four that operates like a V-four (with the compact packaging of an in-line four). But -- we haven't exactly embraced V-fours in America. They're very nice motorcycle engines (IMO) in that they encompass both low-end torque along with high rpm power. Yet, V-fours (while certainly enjoying some popularity) haven't ruled.

Maybe, with the new R-1, their time has finally come....? :huh: :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just heard from my BMW-owning cousin that he is trading his 07 GS-A for a new R1. He missed smooth 4 cylinder engines and really likes my FJR. He also has a R1150R but he has the need for speed, apparently!

Nice looking bike, the yammie.

The new Yamaha I4 engine sounds eerily like the 5th generation VFR V4. That MP3 of the race engine even has something that sounds the Honda camshaft whine:

Here's an example:

Right. So the 2009 R1 ain't pretty... :blink:

Whatever. It did look plenty pretty today at the Milan Bike Show :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

Stef

R1a.jpg

Right. So the 2009 R1 ain't pretty... :blink:
Whatever. It did look plenty pretty today at the Milan Bike Show :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

Stef
Lucky bastage!!!! :****:

Nothing like that at our lame-O pathetic bike show.

until I talked to the local service manger today, who was at the Vegas trade show this weekend, and even got a picture taken with V. Rossi.
He said the new R1 sounds more like a Ducati than a Yamaha, because of its revolutionary crank design, Crossplane.
Maybe it sounded like a Duc because an Italian guy was riding it.