2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the end of day 9. The pink space bunnies are making their scheduled appearance.
And thank gosh they did! It gets a bit lonely out there around the end of day 9. We sang songs, and played games, and togehter, actually discovered the meaning of Life. But I forgot.

Where the HELL is Austin's report for yesterday?!?!? :lol:

If info is NOT to be passed along to riders, why is it being posted?
because riders know they aren't supposed to have home base team support but the reader of this thread might not? the rider shouldn't ask, the reader shouldn't offer and, if asked, not pass those tidbits along. (Just because we can doesn't mean we should.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason Jonas has graciously yanked Brian Jack off the Spotwalla page, so that the initial page rendering is not skewed to include Brian's SPOT in West Virginia.....

29_0900.jpg

Can you take 815, the rider who stopped in WV, off the public page? Screwing up the page zoom factor.

As for the weather, would you rather have rain or heat?
Rain any day: I hate broiling. High heat fatigues me much faster and the risk of dehydration is obviously much higher.

Edited to add that after a day of riding in high heat, even a 75 or 80 degree night feels arctic and in the past I've actually worn full electrics in similar situations.

- Tim

If info is NOT to be passed along to riders, why is it being posted?
because riders know they aren't supposed to have home base team support but the reader of this thread might not? the rider shouldn't ask, the reader shouldn't offer and, if asked, not pass those tidbits along. it really is a simple concept.
Edit: Sarcastic, snippy content deleted.

Once info is posted on the World Wide Web its game for ANYBODY. There is no control of it. And what a person thinks they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT do differs by each person, their motives, and their level of integrity.

In my opinion any info that riders should not know about should NOT be posted in a public thread about the ongoing rally.

If they come here and read it, it's the same as if they read it anywhere else. However, if someone is on the phone and mentions "Oh yea, you are headed to Austin, might want to look out for the road closures due to glass falling from buildings downtown" then that's an entirely different story. That is helping another rider for sure.

Also, I'd imagine many of these folks are using GPS with traffic reports. The information posted I first found via traffic info so that is there for them to find out about as well. It's still different from someone on the outside of their ride helping them out.

We are all discussing weather conditions and such as well, should that be removed too?

Everyone relax.... these two Austin, TX pages are freely available on the web to riders and spectators alike - no harm, no foul in this instance.

If they come here and read it, it's the same as if they read it anywhere else. However, if someone is on the phone and mentions "Oh yea, you are headed to Austin, might want to look out for the road closures due to glass falling from buildings downtown" then that's an entirely different story. That is helping another rider for sure.
better said than i did. thanks. i moderated my op to be less confrontational.

better said than i did. thanks. i moderated my op to be less confrontational.
Thanks, I was worried I might be stirring the pot there. I really am not here to do that. My comment regarding passing the info along was mearly a disclaimer due to previous incidents on this thread that were moderated before I got to see them. Not trying to cause trouble and I'm really enjoying the conversation on this thread.

Or 929 down near Austin. (S)he's on 290 heading EAST??? WTF???
Now what is 929 doing? Heading NW on smaller roads.

Heading to NM by rte 20?
My best guess is 929 is headed to Santa Fe, via smaller highways but more directly. 496 is clearly headed for 10 West. 10 is great for speed - limits at 80mph in the daylight.

Just checked the SPOT....what's 921 up to??? Any ideas?
My guess .....

921 is heading for Denver and will then go Salt Lake City, Carson City, Sacramento and home.

May need a quick side trip east to grab Arizona and Nevada, but New Mexico is a problem so I'll rethink.

He may have to come south from Denver to get NM, which will put Carson City, SLC and Sacramento in doubt ... Tricky.

I think the route is what the others seem to be doing .... West to Alberquerque, then North for Denver, SLC, Carson City and Sacramento.

Without seeing the actual point values it's hard to say for sure, but I'm looking at Austin as a sucker bonus. In the context of actually getting some rest, I don't see how to get Austin as well as the other high-point capitols Warchild mentioned.

So I'd just drop TX and the low-point capitols that don't happen to land on my route anyway, and divide my available rest time up among the hottest part of the last 3 days. Then adjust from there as the road gods insert their variables along the way.

Here that is in google maps: My fantasy Leg 3

Or 929 down near Austin. (S)he's on 290 heading EAST??? WTF???
Now what is 929 doing? Heading NW on smaller roads.

Heading to NM by rte 20?
Looks like it. Probably U.S. 84 though. I've been on that road a lot. Up thru Lubbock, Clovis, and either Ft. Sumner or Vaughn to I-40. You can make surprisingly good time between towns but there are an awful lot of them in between the clear stretches.

Edit: Looks like the I-40 parade has begun. Now, do they turn north on I-25 to Denver or keep going west? And for those folks on 25, how much is the fire going to affect them?

I wonder if the riders that are in NM prolly headed to 4 corners know about the wildfires out there and possible road closures.

Without seeing the actual point values it's hard to say for sure, but I'm looking at Austin as a sucker bonus. In the context of actually getting some rest, I don't see how to get Austin as well as the other high-point capitols Warchild mentioned.

So I'd just drop TX and the low-point capitols that don't happen to land on my route anyway, and divide my available rest time up among the hottest part of the last 3 days. Then adjust from there as the road gods insert their variables along the way.

Here that is in google maps: My fantasy Leg 3
Your Fantasy Leg 3 looks to be the best I've seen.

As you blew off the Corners, which was the smart thing to do, all you have to worry about is Meese and Peek grabbing enough capitals to overhaul you. It would be very close :)

Status
Not open for further replies.