2011 KBC VR Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I was browsing around some online stores and stumbled across this new helmet model from KBC. The model name is just "VR", (which is different from previous VR-1,2,3,4 and V models) and is apparently a new model introduced in 2011. I have owned several KBCs in the past, and currently still have a few older VR-1's on the shelf. I have always though that they were a pretty good overall value. The only knock I have against the VR-1's was they was not very aerodynamic, and had a tendency to tug your head around some when doing a shoulder check, etc.

This one looks much more aerodynamic. I am highly attracted to this new VR because it is available in Hi-Viz Yellow and the street price is only around $130.

RevZilla has a fairly complimentary online review of the helmet, which is tempting me to try one.

I'm just wondering if anyone has already tried one of these new VRs and and what your impressions are.

2012-KBC-VR-Helmet-Fluorescent-Yellow-634437631443266943.jpg

2012-KBC-VR-Helmet-Fluorescent-Yellow-634437632353447952.jpg

2012-KBC-VR-Helmet-Fluorescent-Yellow-634437631574180033.jpg

I had two KBC helmets. A VR1 which was replaced with a VR2 Stealth.

The 2 was louder than the 1, and I think part of that problem was the shield not sealing correctly. Due to use, I attempted to buy a replacement shield for the VR2 but was told that KBC had gone out of business.

I found a shield on Bike Bandit, but when I whet to put it on the helmet 3 months later, I found it was the wrong shield. Then I bought a shield off of eBay and same deal.

Apparently those idiots made more then one variation of the VR2, and the shields I found were for the other ones; even though I attempted to ensure they were for the correct VR2.

I got pissed and bought a Scorpion EXO1000. The VR2 is still hanging in my garage as a spare.

After the BS issues I had, I will NEVER buy another KBC again. There are plenty of good well priced helmets available to have to tolerate the run around.

If they're making helmets again, where the Hell did they go??

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks interesting but it's not Snell rated
True, but some people would argue that is a good thing. We won't get into that here.

What is strange is I don't see any stickers at all on them, even though the text says they are ECE and DOT certified.

I had two KBC helmets. A VR1 which was replaced with a VR2 Stealth.

The 2 was louder than the 1, and I think part of that problem was the shield not sealing correctly. Due to use, I attempted to buy a replacement shield for the VR2 but was told that KBC had gone out of business.

I found a shield on Bike Bandit, but when I whet to put it on the helmet 3 months later, I found it was the wrong shield. Then I bought a shield off of eBay and same deal.

Apparently those idiots made more then one variation of the VR2, and the shields I found were for the other ones; even though I attempted to ensure they were for the correct VR2.

I got pissed and bought a Scorpion EXO1000. The VR2 is still hanging in my garage as a spare.

After the BS issues I had, I will NEVER buy another KBC again. There are plenty of good well priced helmets available to have to tolerate the run around.

If they're making helmets again, where the Hell did they go??

Seems that your shield problems were with Bike Bandit and an eBay seller, am I wrong?

I hadn't heard they went anywhere before just now, but I'll look into that. It's possible these are being made by someone else under the KBC label?

Seems that your shield problems were with Bike Bandit and an eBay seller, am I wrong?

I hadn't heard they went anywhere before just now, but I'll look into that. It's possible these are being made by someone else under the KBC label?
The problem was the different variations of the same model, or a change in the model without and identifiers. If you search eBay for KBC VR2 shield, there are shields for the VR2, VR2R, and the Force RR.

NOW there is one vendor who lists the shield as "old type helmet shield" which is probably the shield my helmet uses. I guarantee you the other VR2 shields on there will be wrong for my helmets whether is an R model or not...

Somewhere along the line they changed the shield mechanism and didn't bother to list a way to differentiate. When I was looking for the right shield. I tried to contact them and it was impossible.

Edit: Look...Here is the product info for the "old style" shield. It still says it fits the VR2, VR2R, and the ForceRR helmets Click eBay...But there are pictures showing the difference in the shields:

kbc_difference_old.jpg

So what bugs me is the change in shields with no designation. I guess I don't care whose fault it is, it put me off. However, looking at this shield, I may buy it because I still need shield for that helmet, and this looks like the right one.

Dammit.

I have tried other helmets but always come back to my 8 year old VR1. I doubt KBC has made a better helmet since. If it had said Shoei or Arai on it back then people would have been happy to pay $500 for it and they'd still be talking about it. Mine needs a new shield as well, it slaps down with any wind whatsoever if I look down at all.

I have noticed their website looks like the stuff of a company that is back from the grave or bought out by a different party, it's very limited and cheaply designed.

I have tried other helmets but always come back to my 8 year old VR1. I doubt KBC has made a better helmet since. If it had said Shoei or Arai on it back then people would have been happy to pay $500 for it and they'd still be talking about it.
I liked my VR1 too. It was definitely a better helmet than the VR2.

I got a great deal on a Scorpion EXO 700 Hi Viz. That looks nice too. They kinda look like a bug light I had on the deck. Maybe the bugs will avoid these helmats as well?

I got a great deal on a Scorpion EXO 700 Hi Viz. That looks nice too. They kinda look like a bug light I had on the deck. Maybe the bugs will avoid these helmats as well?
Ha, ha!! Yes he did. Right on this here forum. He bought mine!! :p

Funny that you would post that here is this thread. Now that I sold pooky the EXO 700, I've ordered up one of these new KBC VR's. I just hope that it turns out to be as comfortable as my VR-1s have been. I'll keep you all posted.

Received the KBC VR helmet that I ordered today. Unfortunately, I second guessed the size charts and ordered a size medium based on my experience with the KBC VR-1s, and the medium here is a true medium (so it is too small for me). But, the good news is that these are pretty darned nice quality helmets, especially for the paltry price ($122 shipped from HelmetCity.com). So I'm going to hang onto the Medium for my son to try on (at Thanksgiving) and have ordered a Large and an XS for my wife and me. Helemt City has a 60 day return policy, so we will have time to return it if it won't work for the "boy".

When my Large comes in and I get a chance to actually wear it and ride with it, I will post a full review.

I'm really diggin the idea of having HiViz on the head.

Thread update:

I received my KBC VR Hi-Viz helmets today. The size large fits correctly, a bit on the tight side, which is what you want on a new helmet. I took it out for a short ride and have some first impressions...

First off, it is very, very visible. Annoyingly bright. Can't miss it. Big plus for that IMO.

The interior of the helmet appears quite nicely appointed and all of it is removable for cleaning in the future. The face shield positioning system seems very sturdy, with strong positional detents, and a super quick tool-less shield removal and reinstall for cleaning. The stock, clear visor comes pin-lock ready. It has a standard over the nose breath guard installed and a stretch fabric chin curtain (nice touch),

The chin strap is rather long. Even with it snapped back to the buckle there is a big bunch of strap looped up under there. Not a biggee, just something I noticed. If it really bothered me I could shorten the strap.

The faceshield has no anti-fog on it, and true to form, fogged up quickly unless the shield is cracked open. Which made me notice that the first detent in the face shield opening is kind of big. I'd rather be able to barely crack it open when needed. Neither of these is huge. I will either purchase a pin-lock shield to fit on it, or just use my standard shampoo treatment on the inside of the shield to reduce the fogging.

Very good aerodynamics. As good as the Scorpion 700 was, which is the best I'd previously tried. Noise was average or better. Better than my prior KBC VR-1s, HJC and Shoei RF1000. But not quite as quiet as the Scorpion EXO 700, but I think that helmet was too small for me, which was why it was so painful, and quiet.

The ear pockets are not very spacious. I think the outer shell is a bit on the smaller side, which is why there is so little space in those pockets. I did manage to fit my Starcom helemt headsets in OK, but there is no room to spare. Having the small shell probably also helps in the aerodynamic department and weight areas. Speaking of which, this helmet feels very light on my head and in my hand.

I will update the thread later on with my long term use opinions, but as of right now I would rate this helmet as a rockin' good deal for anyone wanting to cross over into the Hi-Viz helmet zone. Bought for $122 w/ free 2-day FedEx shipping from Helmet City. It feels considerably better than it should at that price. To be honest, to me it feels of equal quality to the Shoei RF1000 I owned previously.

I don't have that model but the KBC ff I have has done well by me. That it's priced better than either a Shoei or Arai makes it even better.

helmets-KBC-VR-1-Combat-Green.jpg

As mentioned, I also have done well with several VR-1s. I initially bought a pair of VR1's for my wife and me. I liked it so much that when the first one was getting a bit grungy from use, I scored another on closeout from MC superstore for some ridiculous price. I promptly dropped that one and scored a third at the same ridiculous price as a replacement. (the dropped helmet is the one I rattle can spray painted DayGlo, and will probably never actually wear ;) )

My opinion is this new VR model is even better than the VR-1. It feels lighter, more substantially protective and has better aerodynamics (those rear vents on the VR-1 used to tug my head around when shoulder checking.

The fact that this is available in Safety HiViz Green/Yellow is a huge bonus. Except of course for those riders who would rather look cool than live long.

So Fred can you expound on this statement?

"What is strange is I don't see any stickers at all on them, even though the text says they are ECE and DOT certified."

I assume it does have a DOT sticker.

Dave

yup, it does, in addition to the ECE R22.05 designation (which is probably of more significance). The earlier pictures may have been taken before the certs came in.

Also, FWIW, I would not avoid a helmet at this point because it does not choose to pay for the Snell cert. YMMV.

Hey guys do you mind letting me know where you purchased your VR and what price? Thanks. nevermind I read the first post again.

Also, what size hat do you wear and what size helmet did you get? My old VR1 is a large and fits me perfect. However, I do have a large head and I am a 7 1/2 almost 7 5/8's hat size so that places me squarely into the XL size on the new VR's....

Looks like they also re-did their website recently, actually showcase more than just one helmet.

My head measures 23 1/4" in circumference. My old VR1 was a medium and fit me perfectly. My new VR (that fits well) is a large. I ordered the medium first, based on past KBC experience, and it was too tight. You can go with their current size chart as it seems accurate. Based on your measurements, you should take an XL. If you order from Helmet City they have a Free 60 day returns policy, so no risk if you guess wrong.