Time to say goodbye

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@garyahouse - great original writeup. Thanks for the honest senstiments, I'm sure they'll be helpful to others here. In case you weren't aware, there's a recall on 2018+ GWs for tranny issues you may want to followup with your dealer on:

Otherwise, enjoy your great new ride!

I don't visit the forum very often anymore, but did today and ran across this thread. I own an '07 FJR, and 7 years ago, added a new GW F6B to the stable. I sat on one at the Honda tent that was set up at MotoGP here in Austin, but told myself I didn't need two bikes, and wasn't selling the FJR, especially for how little it would bring. A few years later, we had moved, and the new place had enough garage space for two bikes, so I started looking for a new F6B. If you're not familiar with that model, it's the bagger GW that Honda made from 2013-2017, (2013-2016 in the US). No back case, no reverse, no ABS, and not nearly as heavy as the fully dressed GW. I always liked GWs, but had no need for all that extra stuff, hence, my interest in the model. My search was nationwide, but the winner was just up the road in Waco. My B had been sitting on the floor for a year, and the discount was heavy! Honda was actually comping dealers to move the inventory, as the sales was not as expected.

It's been a great bike, and I've made some upgrades to get rid of some of the stuff most GW owners don't mind, but I couldn't stand. That cushy suspension? Replaced with a Mega Monty setup from Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock, GA! That improper gearing, making 1st gear almost unusable, and rpms in 5th at highway speed much too high? Gone, with my installation of a Henry's Final Drive last weekend. It is a very sweet ride now, and will be in my garage for many, many years, right next to my trusty FJR!

dJkQLu6.jpg

qVCxCQg.jpg

That is indeed a nice and well set up GW. I've toyed with the idea of buying a F6B and maybe someday I'll pull the trigger. But if I do, I will always have an FJR in the garage.
Congratulations and safe riding.

Traitor!!!!!
YA! What he said!

All kidding aside, Gary. You've contributed and seeked information here, and good for you. If your new bike suits you better, +1! Go for it!

Many FJR forum riders have multiple bikes or change them, it's all good. Keep riding brother and enjoy. Ride safe and keep coming back here for... whatever... Ridning comradery.

Just got a notice that somebody had chimed in on this old thread. So, I'm back again with another story to tell. The Wing's got 31k on it now, and runs like a top. I've loaded it up with a few farkles for safety's sake and even added BTMoto's reflash for a few extra ponies. My Russel Day Long's doing it's job and I'm still riding at 68. It was 14 years ago when I bought the FJR and joined this forum, but alas I'm posting up a storm over on the GL1800riders forum now, so at least all my hot air has a place to go... So the latest: had a close call with my isolated fuse block. I smelled something funny while sitting here in the house and went outside to find smoke coming out of my Honda. I quickly disconnected the battery just in time to find my fuse block badly burned and melted. In the minute or so it took me to disconnect the battery, the entire bike was engulfed in smoke. Whatever went wrong inside that fuse block was happening quickly and I was just in time. My mistake? I didn't have a fuse between the battery and the remote fuse block. Anyway, a good friend of mine wasn't so fortunate. A week later, his Honda with the exact same fuse block caught fire and was destroyed along with perhaps 70k dollars damage to his house. I haven't said much about all this over on the other forum as the company that made the fuse block asked me not to spread a bunch of junk on the forum until they had a chance to investigate. I sent their unit back to them for their evaluation. They've issued a public notice to disconnect the fuse blocks and remove them. Bottome line; I am feeling very, very blessed. If I didn't show up to get that battery disconnected when I did, this would have been a very different post today. Guess I should add that 100 years from now, when I'm busy singing with the angels, maybe I'll get to meet the one that was sent to tap me on the shoulder and suggest that I thought maybe I smelled something. Truth is there was very little to actually smell... at first.

So the latest: had a close call with my isolated fuse block.
Shall we assume that it isn't a brand that is commonly used by FJRForum members?
There is a fine line between trash-talking a company's product before the issue is investigated appropriately and preventing a devastating fire that might happen to another rider.

Just got a notice that somebody had chimed in on this old thread. So, I'm back again with another story to tell. The Wing's got 31k on it now, and runs like a top. I've loaded it up with a few farkles for safety's sake and even added BTMoto's reflash for a few extra ponies. My Russel Day Long's doing it's job and I'm still riding at 68. It was 14 years ago when I bought the FJR and joined this forum, but alas I'm posting up a storm over on the GL1800riders forum now, so at least all my hot air has a place to go... So the latest: had a close call with my isolated fuse block. I smelled something funny while sitting here in the house and went outside to find smoke coming out of my Honda. I quickly disconnected the battery just in time to find my fuse block badly burned and melted. In the minute or so it took me to disconnect the battery, the entire bike was engulfed in smoke. Whatever went wrong inside that fuse block was happening quickly and I was just in time. My mistake? I didn't have a fuse between the battery and the remote fuse block. Anyway, a good friend of mine wasn't so fortunate. A week later, his Honda with the exact same fuse block caught fire and was destroyed along with perhaps 70k dollars damage to his house. I haven't said much about all this over on the other forum as the company that made the fuse block asked me not to spread a bunch of junk on the forum until they had a chance to investigate. I sent their unit back to them for their evaluation. They've issued a public notice to disconnect the fuse blocks and remove them. Bottome line; I am feeling very, very blessed. If I didn't show up to get that battery disconnected when I did, this would have been a very different post today. Guess I should add that 100 years from now, when I'm busy singing with the angels, maybe I'll get to meet the one that was sent to tap me on the shoulder and suggest that I thought maybe I smelled something. Truth is there was very little to actually smell... at first.
Gary, nice save and great story. Are you hard of hearing? lol. Sometimes when one sense is dulled another sense is made more acute. It is that way for me. Glad everything turned out ok.

Last edited:
Gary, it's not a FuzeBlock.

It is a SoCalMotoGear power distribution block: Here is the notice below they sent me. I did not use on my wing but want to get the right product info out there.

1725985788093.png