2013 bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No major issues with 2013 except a recall for the front brake switch. It was the first year of the Gen III FJRs. The cruise control for 2013 was limited to 80 mph (145 km/hr Correction: 129 kph) and some people complained about that. The 2013 has conventional forks. 2014 and later, upsidedown forks that were electronically adjustable were offered as an option. (ESA on rear shock too.)

Any extras or modifications? Aftermarket seats, windscreens and auxiliary lighting are popular.

Ask away if you have any questions.

Welcome from Canada's East Coast (NB).

Last edited:
Thanks Ross. As far as I know there is no other mods. still has the inner luggage bags for panniers and top box. I currently have a Triumph Sprint St 2008 with 108,000km on it so plan to keep it and use this for 2 up touring. as there are no bikes locally to test ride before purchase wiffee is looking for comfort as a pillion.

For two-up touring, you might want to consider an aftermarket seat. Possibly a different windscreen as well.
Where are you located? Any photos of the bike?

Very reliable bikes. I sold my 2007 with 295,000 km and no serious problems. Nothing done (ever) to engine, transmission, clutch, cooling system, or brakes and it never burned a measurable quantity of oil between changes. Regular maintenance only, other than a couple of minor (mostly electrical) issues early on for the '07. Gen III bikes did not have grounding faults like the early Gen II bikes (esp. '06 to '08).
160,000 km so far on my 2011 but without the electrical issues.

Valve checks, brake pads, fluids, lube, sparkplugs, air filters, couple of sets of fork seals/bushings, one battery in each bike... Oh, and one set of front wheel bearings and one gear selector switch. Maintenance is easy - without dealer intervention if you have modest mechanical skills. Lots of experience and assistance available on the forum.

Edit: Aftermarket suspension (especially rear shock) is worth considering, especially for 2-up.

Last edited:
I owned a 2013 for 60k miles. I flashed the ECU to remove the CC limit completely.

I also had the Yamaha trunk. I still have the backrest pad if you want it... pm me.

Great bike, nothing but tires and oil needed. I like the A suspension better than the ES too. Buy it and ride it!!!