2013 FJR additional rear signal lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRbobliz

Reaction score
I have an after-market hard luggage Givi rack with auxiliary signal lights. I had this set up on 2005, 2007 and 2010 FJRs and was able to connect directly onto existing signal light wiring. On the 2013 FJR upon connecting the auxiliary signal lights I get one flash and the relay/breaker switch creates a total malfunction. Upon disconnecting and turning the signal switch on and off again it resets and works properly on just the stock signal light and/or disconnecting the stock light and just running the auxiliary it also functions properly. All bulbs are 1073. How do I rectify this?

All bulbs are 1073. How do I rectify this?
You don't specificy what a "total malfunction" or what "auxiliary signal lights" are. You mean the ABS or cruise light flashes after you're trying to add in an external brake light? If so, it sounds similar to the various other threads Gen 3 (and/or 2008+ FJRs) with the revised ABS systems are experiencing issues including this current thread.

Also, I don't recognize 1073 builbs or that "all" should be the same. I thought turn signal bulbs are different than brake/running lamps and at least the latter are 1157 stock.

Finally, you have this month-old unresolved thread on electrical issues you didn't follow up with what the solution was. I'd start there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to add in external signal lights... not brake lights. I have 1073 bulbs in the auxiliary external signal light.

I am familiar with 1157 as brake tail light double element. I am not trying to do brakes.

Incidentally I tried an 1156 light (as a possible alternative) in external signal lights with same results = breaker is thrown off.

I am only adding external signal lights. It seems that 2 bulbs - the stock AND the external - are too heavy a load and throws the breaker off. I can do one or the other - stock OR external - but not both without throwing the breaker off.

I read the two high lighted links but did not find any relevant information to this problem.

Thanks for the additional clarification. It helps...and begs a few more questions.

breaker is thrown off.
Breaker? I'm not aware of any circuit breakers in the FJR...just fuses that blow. If you're blowing fuses then something probably isn't wired up correctly to begin with and I'd suggest retracing the directions provided assuming it's a Givi sold product. I didn't know Givi sold a turn-signal product.

Otherwise, I'd wonder if these lights are separately fused and have a relay in them. if not, maybe adding a powered relay and just use the turn signal as a signal.

I would definitely recommend Ignacio's last suggestion. Using a relay that is triggered by the turn signal rather than having the turn signal wire carrying the load of both lights will most likely solve your issues.

There is a breaker system in the 2013 FJR. Givi does sell a turn signal product. I have had the Givi bracket and side saddle bags on 5 previous bikes with no problems. The Givi hard bags on the Givi bracket results in the FJR turn sign not being seen from the sides. The Givi turn signal takes care of this by giving good visibility of turn signals from the rear as well as sides.

I tried an 8 watt bulb in the Givi turn signal. This does not overload the system and so both Givi and FJR rear signal lights now work. However, I would like a brighter bulb. Am thinking a LED 8 watt bulb might do the trick?

There is a breaker system in the 2013 FJR. Givi does sell a turn signal product. I have had the Givi bracket and side saddle bags on 5 previous bikes with no problems. The Givi hard bags on the Givi bracket results in the FJR turn sign not being seen from the sides. The Givi turn signal takes care of this by giving good visibility of turn signals from the rear as well as sides.
I tried an 8 watt bulb in the Givi turn signal. This does not overload the system and so both Givi and FJR rear signal lights now work. However, I would like a brighter bulb. Am thinking a LED 8 watt bulb might do the trick?
A 8 watt LED bulb would fry the retinas of anyone looking at it.

Bulbs in the milliwatt range would be suitable. Try to find maybe a 250 milliwatt bulb.

Thanks for this tip. I will try and find a compatible LED... maybe 250 milliwatt bulb.

Help me out here. Looking at the wiring diagrams in the 2013 FSM I see no circuit breakers at all. Fuses, switches and relays, sure. So where would I find a CB? Is it self-resetting or do you have to know where it is and manually reset it?

I think the CB is built into the relay. It is self-resetting. I ordered after market LED bulbs that do not draw more than 8 watts... I think 2.5 watts... so this should work. Thanks for your input.