2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A swarm of biker bees are heading west. Buzzzy buzz buzz.
Wonder which way the I-70 crowd will turn when they get to Denver. Should be really early tomorrow morning?
Looks like the faster riders will hit Denver just after 2 AM here. I was hoping they'd get here quicker, so I could run out and get a pic or two.

I see one rider at a State Park, IBMotel, sweet dreams.

Always loved the feeling of sleeping rough and jumping back on the bike. An of course the price is right.

According to my figuring, the I-70 route to Reno from Denver via U.S. 50/I-70 (really cool scenic run!) is about 50 miles shorter than going north on I-25 and hanging a left on I-80 from Denver. So about an hour shorter on the more circuitous, but scenic, route to get to Reno-ish. 50 over the hill to SAC is definitely not the way to route.

All depends on the bonii I guess. If a big one in Bonneville, then the U.S. 50 route is a loser. Otherwise, who knows?

Man... this is no good, peeps.....
fool.gif

I had to dash 600 miles to Whidbey Island and back today on the Hayabusa, to help out an old Navy buddy.... I just rolled back up home, and I tells ya what, I am just a pinch too weary/fried to take off to Sacramento tonight on the FJR as planned. Or, at least, I need to sleep for several hours before departing.
lazy.gif

Oh, well... the bike is about ready... got at least one of the aux lights hooked up (deer-side of the road) to the high beam. Also got the spare 1.5 gallon Coleman water jug strapped/bungeed to the pillion area... California is on fire right now, that ice water will be going fast on the interstate!
weirdsmiley.gif

ToCheckpoint2.jpg

I see one rider at a State Park, IBMotel, sweet dreams...
I have no idea how anyone could have sweet dreams during the iron butt rally...unless you like waking up in a cold sweat.
I spoke to one rider who told me that his first leg, and he is quite highly placed, was more relaxing than other multi-day rallies he has done. He got more sleep too.

He knows that the pace will pick up, but a steady start that builds to a big finish sounds like a decent strategy.

Iron Butt Motel guy is back on the move. There's one rider I see at a Walmart, hmmmm... new camera? new mem card, grub, nah too slow. I'd love to know.

fool.gif

I had to dash 600 miles to Whidbey Island and back today on the Hayabusa, to help out an old Navy buddy.... I just rolled back up home, and I tells ya what, I am just a pinch too weary/fried to take off to Sacramento tonight on the FJR as planned. Or, at least, I need to sleep for several hours before departing.
lazy.gif

Oh, well... the bike is about ready... got at least one of the aux lights hooked up (deer-side of the road) to the high beam. Also got the spare 1.5 gallon Coleman water jug strapped/bungeed to the pillion area... California is on fire right now, that ice water will be going fast on the interstate!
weirdsmiley.gif

ToCheckpoint2.jpg
It cooled off today. Should be highs in the low 90's for Sunday. That is cool for that area. I will see you there!

I have no idea how anyone could have sweet dreams during the iron butt rally...unless you like waking up in a cold sweat.
Can't think of a sweet dream during the rally. But, of the rally, yes.

'11 Butt- 2am riding South thru South Dakota wisps of ground fog that I could raise and lower my head into.

'07 Butt- Glacier Point bonus in Yosemite- full moon rise over Half Dome

'03 Butt- Chief Joseph highway on approach to finish in Missoula

And yep, a number of panic wake-ups during...

I always felt golden when I laid my head down (so wasted). Now on waking up, whole different matter, first thought was always "where the fook am I?"
fool.gif

I spoke to one rider who told me that his first leg, and he is quite highly placed, was more relaxing than other multi-day rallies he has done. He got more sleep too.

He knows that the pace will pick up, but a steady start that builds to a big finish sounds like a decent strategy.
It's a holiday weekend too...many of the local campgrounds are full. Some riders hoping for a spot to crash may be disappointed. At least in the fly-over states (NE,KS)

fool.gif

lazy.gif

weirdsmiley.gif

ToCheckpoint2.jpg
Sleep well and see you in Rancho Cordova

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.