2014 grip control lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motowncali

Reaction score
Maybe I don't ride as much as I should, but at night with all the buttons on the grips, I have a heck of a time remembering which buttons do what. I'm flashing my high beams when trying to increase the speed on the cruise control. Stuff of that sort. Wish there were LEDs installed in the grips so the controls would glow. Any led light options to make is so you can see the controls at night?

The controls are intuitive. I've never had a problem since the first day I rode it. Beeped the horn once then. If I need dash/bar light I use MPLS units from Princeton Tec.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone made overlay label kits for Goldwings that were powered but were flat.... looked like glow-in-the-dark... none for FJR that I know of. You could perhaps find some glow paint or stick on pieces of reflective tape....... maybe one small dot as reference, but, you should be able to train yourself to find reference points in the dark.

I only remember reading about one motorcycle having backlit controls and that was a recent article in Motorcyclist. I cannot remember which bike, but I want to say it was a KTM.

Honestly I did struggle one morning on my way home with the high/low beam switch. I could not seem to find that large rocker switch and could not get my headlights to dim. The oncoming car gave a very brief flash of his brights but nothing more and I was swamped with guilt. As the car went past I could clearly see the "Sheriff" label on the door.

I had not had the bike very long at that point. For the rest of the ride home I chanted over and over in my helmet, "I will learn to operate my bike, I will learn to operate my bike..."

So, in as friendly a manner as possible I am telling you, Learn to Operate Your Motorcycle. The last thing you want to be doing in the dark is looking for tiny labels on your handlebars. Not safe.

If it helps you, imagine what a fighter pilot must learn to operate in the cockpit of a modern aircraft. Have you ever seen the various switches and buttons on the stick in an F-15? No time to look for the right switch in a dogfight.

They make us learn to find and activate the cabin dump switch in less than 3 seconds with our eyes closed. This clears smoke in the event of a cabin fire, which is arguably the toughest emergency we train to handle. Put your o2 mask on, dump the cabin and get the plane on a runway. If you complete the whole checklist, even better.

There are certain things you just need to know. Which buttons do what on your bike is one of them. Practice, practice, practice.

I can't imagine even trying to look down and read labels while riding. I don't even want to look down to find a switch!

Perhaps with a little imagineering a clever feller could design a bracket that you could clip a book light to. Still, the best is to do a little thumb training, let's pretend one night there is a dangerous situation that pops up and the only answer is the HORN. Hope your thumb knows with subconscious reaction where it is
smile.png

My first motorcycle in 1966 had two switches. One was for the horn, one for the lights. I know how ya feel 'cause it seemed like it took forever to finally remember which was which. But then again, I was 11 years old.
smile.png

So, ya need some better lighting to find the right switch? This little guy might be on to something:

merte_headlight.jpg

smile.png

But then again, why label them at all?

thlabel29pg.jpg

Gary

darksider #44

Maybe I don't ride as much as I should
No offense but I think this is key. I had similar issues but, with time, experience and practice, muscle memory takes over. When I was first learning the bike and was alone on the road, I would poke at the buttons to see if I could find them. It becomes intuitive with practice.

As others have said, you DO NOT want to be looking down at night trying to figure out which button is where.