2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Diesel!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chivvalry

Reaction score
Okay... so I've waited for this thing since about December of last year and finally picked it up November 13. I wasn't even able to order it until the 8th of August.

Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.0l turbodiesel, Off Road Adventure II, Luxury II, Navigation. Maximum Steel Metallic exterior and Moroccan Black interior. You HAVE to get the LuxII package on the limited to get the diesel. If you get an Overland model you must add the Technology package.

I got it for 7% under invoice +$499 "dealer fee"... that deal is available to anyone who wants it if you are anywhere near the DC area. PM me and I can hook you up. Deal works on any 2014 Grand Cherokee and not just the diesel.

I drove about 4 hours one way in a rental to go pick it up... the sales guy at the dealer was fantastic but the standard hard sell on all the bullcrap addons and extended warranty from the "accessories consultant" and the finance lady was a little annoying. I just said "No, thank you." until they stopped talking. The rate they got for me beat my bank... it was 1.6% for 72 months!!

I had never driven the diesel prior to ordering and picking up this truck.

First impressions...

The electronic vehicle information center in the truck is very good. The radio system is excellent and though some folks have reported some buggy performance mine has been fine. I won't try and explain all the features here but it plays from bluetooth, has a slot for an SD card, you can also connect your phone via USB (not just to charge either), voice response is quirky but once you figure it out works pretty well for most things, navigation is also good but voice response for navigating needs some work. I am running the most current software on it.

The engine... 240 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.

The diesel chatter is subdued but noticeable when standing outside the vehicle but once inside it fades out to almost nothing. When the engine is very cold the chatter is very noticeable outside the vehicle and you can hear it faintly inside as well. Under hard acceleration the engine noise is definitely NOT a gas engine. Speaking of hard acceleration... the truck has an eight speed transmission and that transmission has several modes. One is Drive with ECO mode on.. then Drive with ECO mode off... then Sport mode. Drive w/ECO is a bit sluggish on takeoff. The turbo lag is noticeable and if you are not familiar with diesels it is annoying and disconcerting. Once you get used to it its not a bid deal but takes a bit of 'adaption'. Drive w/ECO off is not hugely different... shift points are a little more aggressive but turbo lag is still annoying on takeoff until you get used to it. Sport mode is FUN. With the air suspension it actually drops the whole truck down a little into what they call "Aero" mode... the turbo lag is much less noticeable and the shift points are very aggressive. If you get into it in Sport mode it feels like a rocket off the line. It will quite literally push you into your seat hard.

One of the guys on JeepGarage has purchased a BlueSpark tuner box for his diesel and reports that installation of that and setting it to the highest mode turned his diesel into a V8 chomping beast. He also said the MPG suffered when he had it tuned up to the high setting which is supposed to deliver 309 hp and 527 lb-ft of torque. I am considering picking up one of these...

Here's a pretty good review from back in June...

https://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/1306dp_2014_jeep_grand_cherokee_ecodiesel/

null_zps0368d533.jpg

null_zps363e5301.jpg

null_zps74d275b0.jpg

Put some new tires on it as the stockers are NOT all terrain... these are slightly larger than the stock tires (extra inch diameter) and are Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure tires.

null_zpse1b4d085.jpg

The truck uses a urea solution to control emissions...

null_zps456639c4.jpg

and the money shot....

null_zps5d283f16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations chivvalry, I love my 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel; over 110K, not a single problem. Love the photos, your Jeep Diesel is very tempting to Papa Chuy Viejo!

I am pleased to see they had the good sense to put a gauge for the urea level. A friend of mine has one of the Ford 6.7 Scorpion Diesels and it gives a warning when it gets low. I much prefer a level indication.

I am hopeful that diesel vehicles catch on here as they have in Europe. I think there is lots of potential technology in the future of diesel, there just needs to be financial justification in the research.

For me a diesel is almost a requirement. I tow things and the extra power is more a safety factor than a convenience. The economy advantage over a gas-burner is significant when I am towing. Fortunately my truck was the last Duramax without a DPF and predated the urea injection as well.

After you learn to adjust for the turbo lag you will be able to drive the vehicle so smoothly that your passengers will never notice it. My Duramax has very little turbo lag anyway. It is only an issue when I start to pass another vehicle. Stepping into the throttle a second or two before you need to accelerate will cancel out that problem.

Congratulations on your purchase. I hope it serves you well.

Very cool. Thanks for the report/review.

I am considering a diesel for my next vehicle purchase, probably a used pickup truck, but was interested to read more about the new Jeep 3.0. It'll be really cool if they drop that into the Wrangler.

an amazing 22000 psi at the injectors !
29000... even more amazing...
smile.png

I am considering a diesel for my next vehicle purchase, probably a used pickup truck, but was interested to read more about the new Jeep 3.0. It'll be really cool if they drop that into the Wrangler.
You are certainly not the first to say that about the Wrangler... pretty sure that is in the works but no idea when it might happen.

I'm not sure I want a diesel, but the 2014 Grand Cherokees are at the top of my list. I think I get affiliate pricing through work which is 1% below invoice, but I'll PM you for details on what you got.

I'm just a couple exits down the turnpike from you, so I assume you didn't have any problems bringing this vehicle to PA and registering? Oh, and when the weather gets better, lets ride.

You are certainly not the first to say that about the Wrangler... pretty sure that is in the works but no idea when it might happen.
You gentlemen are singing my song, if that diesel engine is available in the Wrangler Unlimited Papa Chuy is running to my Jeep Dealer! My Liberty Diesel has taken me offroad all over the West, Canada and Mexico; the 2.8 engine is absolutely bulletproof! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

DSCF0428.jpg

Years ago when Diesel was so much cheaper than gasoline I could see buying one. I filled up this morning at a cost of $2.99 a gallon, the same station had Diesel for $3.78. I don't know of any diesel vehicle that gets that much better mpg to make it worth the $0.79 difference.

Nice Jeep though, hope you enjoy it.

Years ago when Diesel was so much cheaper than gasoline I could see buying one. I filled up this morning at a cost of $2.99 a gallon, the same station had Diesel for $3.78. I don't know of any diesel vehicle that gets that much better mpg to make it worth the $0.79 difference.
Wowser Wlfman, that fuel station is a ripoff! $3.09 for regular and $3.19 for diesel a gallon here in Zonieland, but I slip over the border into Mexico and by it for 30 pesos a gallon ese ($2.27 USD)!

Wowser Wlfman, that fuel station is a ripoff! $3.09 for regular and $3.19 for diesel a gallon here in Zonieland, but I slip over the border into Mexico and by it for 30 pesos a gallon ese ($2.27 USD)!
Yeah, Diesel is like that in cost compared to gas all over here the South East. And this particular station is a Truck Stop and the cheapest around by several cents.

Well... the diesel has a LOT more power/acceleration/etc. than the V6 and gets significantly better mpg... tows as much as the V8 with MUCH better mpg, especially when towing near the 7400 lb capacity, performs MUCH better at altitude than a gas engine...

etc. etc.

Yes, diesel fuel is currently more expensive than regular gas. Don't care.
no.gif

Average US price per gallon of Regular gas is $3.272 and diesel is $3.883 (+0.611)

Average in the Gulf Coast is 3.124 and 3.780. (+0.656)

So let's just say the difference is 65 cents over $3.25 a gallon, that would represent (exactly) a 20% increase in cost.

The 3.0 ecodiesel is rated at 30mpg

The 3.6L V6 is rated at 25 mpg

THe 5.7L V8 is rated at 22 mpg

So the diesel engine would be 20% more fuel efficient than the small gas engine and 36% better than the V8 engine. But the real story is the torque is much higher than either engine so it will be even better when hauling stuff. It isn't so much a matter of economy as capability.

Average US price per gallon of Regular gas is $3.272 and diesel is $3.883 (+0.611)Average in the Gulf Coast is 3.124 and 3.780. (+0.656)

So let's just say the difference is 65 cents over $3.25 a gallon, that would represent (exactly) a 20% increase in cost.

The 3.0 ecodiesel is rated at 30mpg

The 3.6L V6 is rated at 25 mpg

THe 5.7L V8 is rated at 22 mpg

So the diesel engine would be 20% more fuel efficient than the small gas engine and 36% better than the V8 engine. But the real story is the torque is much higher than either engine so it will be even better when hauling stuff. It isn't so much a matter of economy as capability.
And that's only part of the story... gas engines tend to do worse than MPG estimates... diesels tend to do better then MPG estimates. When you tow with a gas engine your MPG will drop to single digits... when you tow with a diesel your MPG will drop but nowhere near what you see with a gas engine.

At 60 MPH I can get an average of 34-35 MPG, at 70 MPH that drops to around 30 MPG... and the diesel isn't even "broken in".

Of course, when I punch it in sport mode I do see low single digit MPGs under hard acceleration...
rolleyes.gif

Purely economically speaking... the diesel purchase price is more expensive than the V6 gas engine... and it will take some time to make up the engine cost in fuel savings. How much time will depend on future gas prices, how much you drive, how much you tow, how long you keep the truck, etc. etc. etc....

The gas V6 and V8 are good engines and move the Grand adequately... each to his/her own desire.

Nice Jeep - Diesels are great, aside from the stink and black oil filth and all.... I've had a few over the years, just torque monsters and great milage.