2014ES Anti-Freeze blue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

formerly "herfjr"
Reaction score
We were just checking our ant-freeze levels today (we only have 2200 miles on them) and noticed first that they were low. Thought that was kinda weird but then noticed the existing anti-freeze was blue (not green) when we went to top it off.

Question: has anyone else noted the blue antifreeze? It looks just like windshield wash.

So when you mixed the Blue with Green is it a pretty Cyan color now?
Should be turquoise-y
Online research says Cyan...although Turquoise is close too.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Traditional green coolants are Inorganic Additive Technology (ITA) and have silicates and phosphates added to a base of ethylene glycol to protect the metals in the cooling systems from corrosion in engines that have steel and copper components. Old school engines.

Newer coolants are Organic Acid Technologies (OAT and HOAT) for engines that are now made of aluminum and nylon.The coolant uses organic acids to prevent corrosion and is usually orange in color. There is also Hybrid Organic Acid Technology which is supposed to contain both IAT and OAT chemicals. HOAT is often yellow or orange but could also be red, pink or blue. HOAT coolants are supposed to be 'long life' products with 5 yr/150k mile life expectancy. None the less, the Gen III Yamaha owners manual says to change the coolant every 24 months (I'm pretty sure).

Search your own soul on this. The blue HOAT coolant contains elements of the ITA coolant, it is chemically safe to mix the two. If the owner is going to follow the owner's manual and change the coolant @ 24 months, then mixing the two isn't a big issue IMO. If the owner is trying to eek out 5 years, then maybe mixing the technologies isn't such a good idea.

We probably only put in no more than 6 oz. of the green. We'll just drain the coolant this winter and put in fresh blue. All should be good.

Thanks for all the replies. I had never seen blue before and was shocked and a little nervous.

We probably only put in no more than 6 oz. of the green. We'll just drain the coolant this winter and put in fresh blue. All should be good. Thanks for all the replies. I had never seen blue before and was shocked and a little nervous.
Stress, who needs it.

It's summer. And you have plenty of corrosion inhibitors in your coolant system. All you had to do was add distilled water. Voila, problem solved. Send beer.

Just don't put that orange Dex-Cool stuff and mix it with anything else........ not compatable.. Prestone 50-50 is a premixed yellow coolant, silicate free..... available everywhere. Don't know where you'd find the blue stuff, I've never seen it. As for change interval, at every valve check usually works out well.

Dex-Cool is evil. I have seen many cars that were perfectly fine have the cooling systems killed by changing to Dex-Cool.

I flushed the system really well with distilled water and changed to Dex-Cool. (Hey, it was relatively new and more expensive so it should be better, right?) I did some reading about the stuff, flushed the system even better and switched back to regular antifreeze. Don't know anything about the formulation of the "blue" stuff. The color is simply a dye added to a colorless solution so I don't think I would make any assumptions relating to color vs. composition.