2014ES Anti-Freeze blue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good timing on this thread. I read this this morning as I was planning my evening in the garage doing some routine maintenance. One of the items on my list was a coolany change. Its been 25K+ miles.

I rmember back in the FJR freshman era when Dex-Cool was put on the pedestal at 'the' coolant for our high performance (Gen 1 of course) machines. My previous two (or three?) coolant changes were Dex-Cool. (see www.FJRTECH.com for a little history).

After seeing the Perfesser's Dex-Cool ahem, compliment, I decided to dig a little deeper. I found a couple threads way back from 2006 when a certain Mr. Jestal was a regular contributor. He posted a very thorough and technical discussion regarding the chemistry and appliaction of the Dex-Cool and regular ethelyne - glycol coolants and did a great job explaining the effects and performance of each. If some one disagreed( hey this is tthe internet) he presented sound reasoning and technical justification for his postion/statements. All very professional.

There was enough information there to convince me to go with 50/50 regular ethylene-glycol. I was thankful to have run across his excellent input. The orange stuff has now been purged from my bike. Back to green!

I miss having Jestal around here as a regular contributor. I'm sure there are others that feel that way too. He was a valuable teacher and encyclodedia of all things relating to IC engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uggh. This is not good.

I've not read anything on this forum for a long time about this subject. But 4 years ago when I did, it seemed that Dex Cool was highly recommended. After reading several endorsements for the orange stuff, I purged the system and put it in. That was nearly 4 years and 36k miles ago. No problems thus far, but my big question now is:

Did I make a mistake?

P2103685.jpg

Gary

darksider #44

@ FJReady, your link is outdated and goes to a worrisome web site, try this link, the web site changed from .com to .net some time ago.

@ Gary, it's never to late to repent. Drain, flush, flush, flush, refill with an alternative.