2014ES Service Manual Up-To-Date?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Future Shock Batman!!! 2104?? This POS FJR better have wings by then and fly, no suspension needed,...otherwise this POS is going back to the dealer.
biggrin.png
No info about the flux capacitors, either. Crappy manual!
wink.png

PS - I'm sure we will figure out how everything works eventually. It just would have been nice if they gave us a few more clues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking into getting the manual but if you think the price is high at $93 US, think again. The manual costs $182 CDN (about $160 US) from the dealer here. Dang.... I can't even buy it via the Yamaha site as they don't ship to Canada. I have an American address that I could ship to, but they require an American billing address.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has some, but seems pretty weak to me as compared to the info on the rest of the bike.
For instance, no information about how to adjust or align the stepper motors for if/when you have to remove one. But it does include some information about the SCU (Suspension Control Unit) and the various codes.
Oh, crap. That's exactly the question I wanted answered in the FSM.

On my previous FJR I removed the forks, supplied the parts and had a friend with an independent shop do the actual rebuild. Yes, I like doing some of the work myself and saving some money, but the problem that I cannot solve is one with the service department of my local dealer. (I say local, but he's nearly 50 miles away.) I was pressed for time, so I took my bike to him for service work that was to include valve check/adjust if needed. Later, when I removed the T-bar and over-engine heat shield during CCT replacement, I could tell that not a single screw had been removed on the air injection system nor the valve cover. It is impossible to remove all those fasteners and leave no sign that a wrench or other tool had been applied. Yes, the dealer charged me for the work but if I could find the receipt I'd just about bet it was worded to both make me believe the work had been done yet leave the dealer an arguable defense. Before discovering this deceit, I went to the same dealer (perhaps considering him for CCT R&R?; can't recall) and waited at the service counter for about ten minutes for the service writer to return from the shop and wait on me--- at least that's where I thought the service writer was. Then a tech came out of the shop into the service desk area. At that point I discovered the service writer had been hiding behind a wall of computers talking on the phone to a friend. At that point, he could no longer pretend not knowing I was there. I waited another five minutes before giving up and vowing to myself the shop would not be getting my next bike purchase, which it did not. Driving away, pissed as hell, I pulled over and made a polite call to the dealership about the incident. But I could not connect to an actual human via phone hell, so I left a message about what had just happened and asked for a return call to discuss the matter. No phone call resulted. Ever.

So, I want a complete up-to-date manual. Otherwise, I'll switch brands. I had no idea upon purchasing this bike that Yamaha would leave the most basic information out of the FSM.

Don't buy a Triumph Trophy if you want a "up to date manual", you will be very very disappointed.

For instance, no information about how to adjust or align the stepper motors for if/when you have to remove one
If there is a problem with the stepper motors, you will get an error 44, run a diagnostic 84 and it's fixed, read the manual.

Don't buy a Triumph Trophy if you want a "up to date manual", you will be very very disappointed.

For instance, no information about how to adjust or align the stepper motors for if/when you have to remove one
If there is a problem with the stepper motors, you will get an error 44, run a diagnostic 84 and it's fixed, read the manual.
I'm waiting for validation of this reply. It'd make me real happy if the manual is complete since while I really liked my 2006 FJR, this new one is better in every way. It runs better, especially passing about 2500 rpm, the windshield is both better and smaller, the seat foam is almost good enough to accept as is, I'm getting used to finding my way through the electronics, and so on. Yamaha really listened to it's owners; there is nothing in it's competition that I prefer.

Just tell me,,, is the darn manual complete?
laugh.gif

I believe that Q Ken's reply was a bit tongue in cheek. Yes, there may be error codes from the SCU (Suspension Control Unit) when there is a stepper motor malfunction. But the line about running diagnostic code 84 and that will somehow fix it (or align it) is the full depth of what the manual has to say about the system.

In other words, no... it is not complete in the electronic suspension section.