2014ES Side Cases modded/farkled

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen_C

Reaction score
So, there was some discussion on here or the other FJR forum about the chrome bumbers/emblems on the sides of the side cases. Well, to dispel any incorrect ideas, the emblem is glued to a black plastic holder, which is then screwed onto a channel on the side of each case with 3 hex-head screws. They are easily removed, but it leaves three relatively small holes and one larger indentation near the middle of the channel.

Additionally, the big rubber mounts holding the reflectors are glued onto the side of the case and are also removable, with considerably more effort. One must heat up the rubber mount and surrounding area of the case then use a plastic spackling spatula to wedge under the rubber, starting at one corner then working it towards the other corner on the short end. Keeping the heat on the area, wiggle the spatula maintaining pressure so it slowly slides further under the rubber bumper. Continue until there is about 1/2 inch left still attached to the case then you can use your hand to twist the remaining part off. Careful, the mount will be very hot. If you have done this properly, almost all of the glue will remain on the rubber and you can use your favorite adhesive remover to clean up the traces of glue.

So, I decided to remove the chrome emblem, apply black reflective tape in its place, remove the rubber mount and reflector and add a custom made reflective FJR Logo to the back of my cases for added visibility. If there is interest, I can make the FJR Logos and mail them for about $7/pair. Here are the pics:

d2lt.jpg

wd9m.jpg

8ooq.jpg

baoy.jpg

I hope this snow and ice melts soon so I can go ride instead of working on farkles so much!

Allen, the reflective FJR logs look nice, but I'm a bit confused as to why you'd remove the protective strips/bumpers off the side cases.

2014_Yamaha_FJR1300ES_1136856.jpg

2014-Yamaha-FJR1300-Red.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the chrome. I am waiting for carbon fiber exhausts to arrive later this week too to replace my Two Bros stainless slip-ons (which will be for sale soon). I think the bright reflective tape is more visible than the stock red reflector and the cases look so much cleaner. Also, I do not ride with the cases unless I need luggage space for a trip. This bike is a sports bike first, touring bike second.

I actually like the bumpers. Both Chrome and black. So, not a big fan of the tape in the holes. Of course, its your bike and opinion based, so what I think means nothing.

I also removed the side reflectors from my bags. I didn't like the way they stuck out; like they were an afterthought. Flush reflectors would be cool, oh well.

I also have the reflectors on the back of the bags from realtimeindustries. They're sweet. I like those ones you made...Thinking of where I could put them.

I actually like the bumpers. Both Chrome and black. So, not a big fan of the tape in the holes. Of course, its your bike and opinion based, so what I think means nothing.
I also removed the side reflectors from my bags. I didn't like the way they stuck out; like they were an afterthought. Flush reflectors would be cool, oh well.

I also have the reflectors on the back of the bags from realtimeindustries. They're sweet. I like those ones you made...Thinking of where I could put them.
AJ, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out too, if you think of a good place, pls post up.

Use some high test fishing line to remove the reflectors. No heat needed. Put some heavy leather gloves on wrap the line around your hands and use the line in a sawing motion to cut thru the adhesive.

If you cut through the glue, won't much of it remain attached to the case and require much more cleaning up?

Not really, if you put pressure against the adhesive and the case it will leave the adhesive stuck to the reflector. What little adhesive left stuck on can be cleaned off easily with WD40. Just another option for those that may not have a heat gun.

Hey Allen, might you have given any thought to doing the rear decals in red? Or maybe just red letters? Not too long ago I was riding behind another Forum member (don't remember who or where) and noticed he had simply stuck a strip of red reflective tape, probably not more than 1" wide, horizontally on each bag just on top of the rear 'bend'. Now I understand the low-key look of the black reflective and like the way it works, have some on my bike, but I was impressed by how well the red stood out in the daylight from behind. I've often looked at adding additional lights on the reflector bracket or something, and have taken notice whenever we see the occasional thread on how someone hooked lights to their bags, all with the idea of making the bike look bigger from the back. This single length of red tape though really seemed to make the bike 'wider' as well as, if not better than, any additional lighting in the daytime and I'm sure has the same reflectability at night. I wonder if a design like yours in red would give the same effect?

I'd have to buy some red reflective tape to check if the red tape is a close enough match to the red that Yamaha used on this '14. I like the idea, just not sure of the color.

Use some high test fishing line to remove the reflectors. No heat needed. Put some heavy leather gloves on wrap the line around your hands and use the line in a sawing motion to cut thru the adhesive.
Dental floss works great for this too. I prefer the minty kind but that's just a personal choice, or is that TMI?
rolleyes.gif

On my '07 I left the reflectors on, figured if I drop the bike they will take some of the hit. Curious to know what part of the saddlebag hits when the bike is laid down, not crashed, just tipped over like in a driveway, anyone care to share?

Allen, are you able to make the FJR reflective stickers small enough to fit on the back of the Gen 2+ OEM mirrors?

I'm guessing this would look pretty cool, as they would always be "catching" light from on coming headlights and thus always glow at night...

Allen, are you able to make the FJR reflective stickers small enough to fit on the back of the Gen 2+ OEM mirrors?I'm guessing this would look pretty cool, as they would always be "catching" light from on coming headlights and thus always glow at night...
I could. The FJR template I Ann using can bee reduced easily. What are the dimensions of the mirror and I can make it to fit within.

Allen, are you able to make the FJR reflective stickers small enough to fit on the back of the Gen 2+ OEM mirrors?

I'm guessing this would look pretty cool, as they would always be "catching" light from on coming headlights and thus always glow at night...
I could. The FJR template I Ann using can bee reduced easily. What are the dimensions of the mirror and I can make it to fit within.
Thanks Allen, I'm at work right now so can't check but IMHO all the Gen 2, 3, 4 mirrors are the same, so should be no different from your '14
rolleyes.gif

Thanks Allen, I'm at work right now so can't check but IMHO all the Gen 2, 3, 4 mirrors are the same, so should be no different from your '14 :rolleyes:
If that is the case, I can make a set from black reflective tape that will fit my mirrors this weekend.

For some unknown reason I'm not able to post these pics in the post right now, so I've just included the links to some pics of the various Gen 2+ FJRs showing the OEM mirrors.
Gen 4 mirrors

https://acidmoto.ch/cms/sites/default/files/yamaha-fjr1300es-2014-3_0.jpeg

Gen 2 mirrors

https://soundquarters.com/bobsblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/FJR-right.jpg

https://ssscheer.us/ARidersJournal/BikesRidden/YamahaFJR1300.html
WOW!!!
sorcerer.gif
When did the Gen 4 come out??? The Gen 3 is only 2 years old...