2014ES Side Cases modded/farkled

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!!!
sorcerer.gif
When did the Gen 4 come out??? The Gen 3 is only 2 years old...
I don't know if it's officially a Gen 4, but assumed the 2014ES deserved to be distinguished in some way, maybe Gen 3.5
uhoh.gif

Before you go the route of putting the decals on your mirrors, you may want to consider the application. Will the decal conform to the contour of the mirror back? You don't want a wrinkled decal!!!

Before you go the route of putting the decals on your mirrors, you may want to consider the application. Will the decal conform to the contour of the mirror back? You don't want a wrinkled decal!!!
I'd thought of that but discounted it, because the sticker material can be "shape fitted" with the aid of some heat. Once the sticker has been applied to the mirror with the necessary stretching it should stay there because of the glue and the new shape of the plastic backing.

I've not tried this with the sticker material, but have applied the 3M clear film (and even the non-glue backed clear film) onto irregular surfaces before using this kind of procedure and it never gave me any issues.

This post got me to remove those hideous side bag reflectors myself last night. They always looked like a afterthought from Yamaha to me. With the fishing line method it only takes 5 minutes to remove each one. A little mineral spirits to remove the residue and a quick wax/buff and the bags look like a million bucks. So much cleaner looking!

I'd thought of that but discounted it, because the sticker material can be "shape fitted" with the aid of some heat. Once the sticker has been applied to the mirror with the necessary stretching it should stay there because of the glue and the new shape of the plastic backing.

I've not tried this with the sticker material, but have applied the 3M clear film (and even the non-glue backed clear film) onto irregular surfaces before using this kind of procedure and it never gave me any issues.
Right you are James.

I have been considering a vinyl application on my '05 and have been checking out its use. Youtube has some pretty good "How To" posts.

OK, after some contemplating and a no-go and swapping another forum member my chrome bumpers with his black bumpers, I took off the black reflective tape from the channel on the sides of the cases. FYI, it peels off without leaving a residue although not in one continuous piece.

I applied the same tape to the chrome bumpers and remounted them on the cases. The tape conforms to the curve along the length of the bumper easily and even folds over and adheres to the top and bottom edges with ease. This tape, in the form of the FJR Logo, will have no problem being applied to mirrors.

The beauty of individual choices. On my 4 FJRs I've both removed and not removed the reflectors. They are ugly for sure and I'm still not yet convinced they do a real valuable function. That said, where I live now, ANY enchancement to visability in any fashion or at any odd angle or lighting is to my benefit. YMMV.

...I've both removed and not removed the reflectors. They are ugly for sure and I'm still not yet convinced they do a real valuable function...
On one zero mph tip-over you will become convinced that the bag reflectors do a real valuable function -- bumpers, baby. The reflectors will go a long way towards preventing scratches on the face of the bags.

Allen, you know we need pictures.
Like these? This allows the protection of the bumper without being shiny chrome AND the reflection the ugly reflector provides.

No light reflecting:

3he8.jpg

Flash reflecting off black tape:

cu6n.jpg

...This allows the protection of the bumper without...the ugly reflector...
That's a nice job you have done. I sure hope the Gen III tips over different from a Gen I because the end of the bag where the reflector used to be is where the bags hit.

The ugly reflector comes stock and helps reduce the damage in a tip over. If you have the money and like the looks of the canyon cages you get better protection in a tip over, and some accident protection that the ugly reflector was never intended to prevent.

...This allows the protection of the bumper without...the ugly reflector...
That's a nice job you have done. I sure hope the Gen III tips over different from a Gen I because the end of the bag where the reflector used to be is where the bags hit.

The ugly reflector comes stock and helps reduce the damage in a tip over. If you have the money and like the looks of the canyon cages you get better protection in a tip over, and some accident protection that the ugly reflector was never intended to prevent.
I understand. Although I have not dumped any of my bikes, regardless of speed, in over 30 years, I know it can and probably will happen. I am considering the cages since they look good and are definitely functional!

You put the reflective tape over the bumper? From that angle that looks cool. Much better than with the bumper removed. It looked like an empty eye socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I've both removed and not removed the reflectors. They are ugly for sure and I'm still not yet convinced they do a real valuable function...
On one zero mph tip-over you will become convinced that the bag reflectors do a real valuable function -- bumpers, baby. The reflectors will go a long way towards preventing scratches on the face of the bags.
+1, agree. Took em off my 05 but have left them on my 07 for this very reason.