2015 FJR impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Wemi" data-cid="1201031" data-time="1419881614">Bike ownership is a ridiculously expensive hobby if done seriously</blockquote>

Really? Compared to what? Have you ever tried General Aviation as a hobby?
wink.png
Motorcycling is my way of dealing with the cost of GA. I am licensed but not current and want to get back in the air (Rusty Pilot Syndrome). But the cost to play ($100/hr to rent an ancient C150) makes it tough.

Dan

My 2015 has two new horns and the MV Motorrad bar riser. Don't have time to get the GPS wired in before Stagecoach departure tomorrow. No big deal; Bluetooth speakers are required inside the hat to complete the direct satellite-to-brain connection.

TownsendFJR's helmet-holder bracket arrived yesterday.

By the way, the stock seat is mighty comfortable. Does that mean my ass is weird?

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the color on the 15's. Nicely setup bike. You going to put the stock shield back on the summer? Love the stock shield in the down position. Don't agree on the rear canyon cages, would much rather replace a saddle bag or just the cover than have the bike catch and flip and total the whole thing.

Wemi, You must have blown a paycheck on all those farkles? You need to add some aux driving lights to your ride. Where did you get a left side exhaust heat shield?
Actually I am long retired and therefore have blown a number of uncle Obama checks.

The left side heat shield is actually a right side one with OEM bolt And TWO OEM clamps. I then fashioned a small C clip with a hole for the OEM bolt to fit thru. Secured that with a 6mm flat nut and mounted the whole thing upside down on the left side, taking care to leave room for the center stand to be able to retract. If you don't know you cannot really tell the right one from the left one. Fairlaner thought me that little trick when I had my 2013 and noticed it on his. Look for the installation thread of his MC canyon cages in this forum. The pictures of his bike upon completion clearly show the shield in place. Since I cannot post pics on this forum thing, that's the best I can do. If you send me your email I can send you pics of the detail. I have lots of pics on my PC or my mobile phone.

Total cost Is NOT cheap, as all the OEM parts demand a hefty price. My discounted cost with shipping was around $135.00

Good luck and happy new year

Wemi, You must have blown a paycheck on all those farkles? You need to add some aux driving lights to your ride. Where did you get a left side exhaust heat shield?
Hi Art,

As an additional note on the driving lights. Even though I have seen and read countless options and mounting possibilities on this forum, IMHO, most of those additions look just like that, or some 747 coming in for a landing. Aside of the obvious potential electrical issues with all those loads form heated gear to phone chargers to heated seats to AUX LIGHTS, to dual horns,etc. etc. the miniscule little generator of the FJR will have a job cut out for it.

I find the factory lights quite sufficient in output for my type of driving ( rarely over 130mph) at night. I did change the bulbs on my 2013 to the PIAA anti vibration 4000 extreme white and found them actually too bright. It took a lot of time to get the output focused in such a way that the low beam looked good and the high beam didn't just light up the top of the trees and was hence useless.

With the difficulty of changing bulbs and the almost impossible way to move the so-called adjusters by hand ( which IMO is the reason most FJRs have terribly miss adjusted headlights) I think I will be content just to end the first year getting the aforementioned adjusters to play ball.

I did change the bulbs on my 2013 to the PIAA anti vibration 4000 extreme white and found them actually too bright. It took a lot of time to get the output focused in such a way that the low beam looked good and the high beam didn't just light up the top of the trees and was hence useless.
I long ago found the same thing with ultra bright bulbs and ended up removing them for something I felt to be more suitable. All this time I thought it was just me....

I've ordered a new 2015 but have to wait until Feb when they get it in so in the mean time I'm getting farkles.

New farkles will be

• MV Motorrad bar riser
  • Grip puppies
  • WigWag Taillight adjustment
  • Dual PIAA slim horns
  • Yamaha Euro style frame sliders
  • Custom LED light in glove box, with switch to turn on when open
  • LED accent lights, I like the bling, bling. LOL
Farkles pulled from my 2012 to be put on the 2015

• Front Forward pegs
  • Fuse box
  • Air horn with custom bracket - Wired to the fuse box and only active when the engine is running, added to the PIAA horns, I like to be heard!
  • Dual power hookup, modified so one is power on all the time with a toggle switch and the other power when engine is running
  • Cigarette to USB converter
  • Custom made helmet bracket and locks.
Now the hard part waiting until Feb!

Enjoy you new ride! A month wait isn't too bad. I waited six months for my '05. I saw one but had never set on an FJR. Try spending six months wondering if you are even going to fit on the thing.
smile.png

Synthz - I'd like to see what you came up with for the bling bling..... Im not huge about flashy - but I'm adding blue accents to the 15, brake levers and I'm going to have the wheels done, not the spokes or center, but a nice deep dark blue like on the FZ9.... I think a little hint of blue lights around the lower engine area would be cool.

Warpdrv - I'll most likely put the some similar LED accent lights, my bling, bling lol, that I did on my '12.

I installed a 234 LED multi light set from Joe Florida on that bike. Not sure if I'll use the same LED from the same company. They aren't bad just limited with the options of lighting effects, unless you pay another hundred for their new programmable remote. The best part that I liked about the putting the LEDs on the bike was the small strip I put inside the side front air intake vents next to the headlights.

I also feel that at night it helps to be seen better, I'll usually switch to a green fading in a out mode while driving at night. Rode past many cops like that and not once had an issue.

I'll see about taking a set of pictures of all the upgrades and post them.

jayke - 6 months to wait for a bike! You've far more patience that I could do, this one month is driving me crazy as is. LOL

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Wemi" data-cid="1201031" data-time="1419881614">Bike ownership is a ridiculously expensive hobby if done seriously</blockquote>

Really? Compared to what? Have you ever tried General Aviation as a hobby?
wink.png
Motorcycling is my way of dealing with the cost of GA. I am licensed but not current and want to get back in the air (Rusty Pilot Syndrome). But the cost to play ($100/hr to rent an ancient C150) makes it tough.

Dan
Well you have some company there......pilots tend to gravitate towards the bike world as the banking and sometimes the speed is similiar.........lol.....I've also let the 3rd class lapse and rationalize maybe doing an LSA later but they aren't cheap either. 2$ a minute for a steam gauge 172 was more than I could take.............