2015 or 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmanhawaii

Reaction score
Last bike was 2004 K1200GT, Really liking what I see and hear about the FJRs. I am looking at a couple of bikes, #1 is a completely stock 2015ES with 2250 miles for asking price of 11,900. #2 2016ES 3000 mikes asking 12,900, it does have engine protection bars, lights added and a few other gadgets. Other than 5 to 6 speed are there any other differences I should be aware of? Any issues for either year I should look for? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Both bikes are virtually brand new, which color do you like best? After spending a few miles with a 6-spd, highway cruising sure is nice but there's nothing wrong with the classic. Get the best deal you can and if the few extra Benjamin's don't matter, get the 6-spd.

Good luck and happy hunting!

~G

I'm jealous of that price.  The best deal (at a dealership) near me is $9000 for a 2015 with almost the exact same mileage and no trunk bag.   For the extra $500 I would definitely take the color, lights, 6th gear, trunk of your 2016.

I Snagged it as soon as it came up on Cycle Trader. Having my local dealer do a once over on it now. Could be nothing but seemed like the rear brake had a lot of play in the peddle. Having new tires installed, bike has original tires on it and they're pretty worn. Putting a set of Michelin Road 5GTs on. Planning on doing a lot of 2 up riding and I'm already at 270 lbs., then add the wife and luggage, figure I could use the stiffer sidewalls. Also I'm in the Seattle area, wet roads are a given, heard they handle pretty good in wet conditions.

Could be nothing but seemed like the rear brake had a lot of play in the peddle.
Almost certainly nothing.  Bleed the lower right front piston (linked to rear) and then bleed the rear caliper.  (Both using the brake pedal and the rear fluid reservoir.)  Pretty common and pretty easy to fix.  While you are at it, make sure that the rear brake pivot is not sticky.  Again a common issue that is easy to address.  Once per year service item.

Almost certainly nothing.  Bleed the lower right front piston (linked to rear) and then bleed the rear caliper.  (Both using the brake pedal and the rear fluid reservoir.)  Pretty common and pretty easy to fix.  While you are at it, make sure that the rear brake pivot is not sticky.  Again a common issue that is easy to address.  Once per year service item.
Brake pivot?

Brake pedal pivot.  While you're at it clean and lightly grease the clutch and brake lever pivots plus the brass bushing in the clutch lever.

~G

I am going with a simple brake bleed.  A known issue.  IMHO, brake pivot shouldn't be an issue yet with such little miles.

Tech during once over said only thing they could find on the bike that they recommend was brake fluid flush, said 2% water. Peddle feels way better.

Tech during once over said only thing they could find on the bike that they recommend was brake fluid flush, said 2% water. Peddle feels way better.

Simple fix.  For some reason Gen II and beyond (2007+) with the linked brakes have this issue.  A simple brake bleed on the rear circuit (front and rear) will be necessary once or twice a year.  It's relatively easy to do so I highly recommend learning to do it yourself.

It is made *much* easier with Speed bleeders and the bag they sell for collecting the old fluid.

Simple fix.  For some reason Gen II and beyond (2007+) with the linked brakes have this issue.  A simple brake bleed on the rear circuit (front and rear) will be necessary once or twice a year.  It's relatively easy to do so I highly recommend learning to do it yourself.

It is made *much* easier with Speed bleeders and the bag they sell for collecting the old fluid.
Ya I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on maintaining these bikes. I plan on doing a lot of my own maintenance. I just figure this time while I was getting the tires done and having a Yamaha tech give it a once over I might as well have them flush it, refill and bleed it.