2017 ES: Removing panels around lockbox

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorcycle Mayor

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I need advice on how to remove the various panels that wrap around the "lockbox" on the left-hand side of my FJR-1300 ES.

I need to know this because the instructions for installing Clearwater Darla lights mistakenly call for removing the panel on the left side top, surrounding the lockbox (in reality all you need to do is remove the bolt that holds the left side panel to the front/dashboard panel). In my attempt to "follow the instructions" I tried to remove the lockbox itself...and after I realized I didn't need to do that, I pushed the plug at the bottom of the lockbox -- which is secured by a screw I removed -- through the lockbox, losing it somewhere inside a pocket I cannot reach into without removing more panels.

Advice? Other than paying money to have my bike towed to a repair shop?

Are the panels around the lockbox removable without removing the lockbox? If you must remove the lockbox, how do you release the cigarette lighter connector the comes into the front of the lockbox, which effectively anchors the lockbox in place?

Oh, and thanx Clearwater, for providing such crappy and misleading instructions. I owe you one.

I need advice on how to remove the various panels that wrap around the "lockbox" on the left-hand side of my FJR-1300 ES.

I need to know this because the instructions for installing Clearwater Darla lights mistakenly call for removing the panel on the left side top, surrounding the lockbox (in reality all you need to do is remove the bolt that holds the left side panel to the front/dashboard panel). In my attempt to "follow the instructions" I tried to remove the lockbox itself...and after I realized I didn't need to do that, I pushed the plug at the bottom of the lockbox -- which is secured by a screw I removed -- through the lockbox, losing it somewhere inside a pocket I cannot reach into without removing more panels.

Advice? Other than paying money to have my bike towed to a repair shop?

Are the panels around the lockbox removable without removing the lockbox? If you must remove the lockbox, how do you release the cigarette lighter connector the comes into the front of the lockbox, which effectively anchors the lockbox in place?

Oh, and thanx Clearwater, for providing such crappy and misleading instructions. I owe you one.

A little help. I had occasion to remove panels on my 2014, essentially the same as your 2017, I used words from another forum member PapaUtah to create a pictorial, see here, a pdf of the same thing can be downloaded from here.

It's not really for the faint hearted.

The glovebox comes away with the side panel.

You might want to consider just replacing the plug, i think you can insert it from the top, probably with care and some lubrication. Or stick tape over it, I've never had water in any of my four FJRs in spite of riding in some serious rain (I am in the UK!), so no real need for a drain hole.

It's not really for the faint hearted.

You might want to consider just replacing the plug, i think you can insert it from the top, probably with care and some lubrication. Or stick tape over it, I've never had water in any of my four FJRs in spite of riding in some serious rain (I am in the UK!), so no real need for a drain hole.

"Not for the faint hearted" -- Absolutely sound advice...which I wish I had gotten earlier :). Oh well, live and learn.

I was able to remove the right side portion of the left side panel, which gave me access to the pocket below the lockbox. As is to be expected -- thank you, Murphy, this one goes on your tab, too! -- the plug, when I popped it through, ended up in a place where it could not be seen or felt without removing that subpanel.

It's at times like this that I really hope there's an afterlife, so I can spend eternity tracking down Murphy and paying him back. With interest :).

I spent quite a bit of time trying to reset the plug. Didn't try lubricating it because the clearance is so tight in the working area (or maybe my hands are too big) that I feared any lubrication would do more to make me lose my grip on the plug than to seat the plug.

So for now, duct tape to the rescue! "No repair job is ever complete until at least some duct tape is used."

Now to go find out how much it will cost me to have someone with the right tools, and experience, complete the Darla installation.

I had a recent encounter with replacing the rubber plug in the glove box as well. I was running a iphone charging cord from the receptacle through the plug and had to remove it in order to snip enough off the nipple to run the cord through. When replacing the plug I ran into a session of mental anguish and swearing. It took me 40 f--k--g minutes to replace that damn plug. I used silicon grease but lining it up correctly by feel only and getting it to seat was the issue.