2018 FJR GIVI Side Bag Configuration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geese

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just completed an installation of GIVI Trekker 46 Liter Side Cases on my 2018 FJR. I have been wanting to do this since I got the bike in 2020 but my internet searches came up with nothing for some reason however this time MCMOTO came up as having a rack which apparently has been available for a long time.

The rack came from MCMOTO a Ukrainian out fit. Cost $210 with $57 Shipping cost. Rack is listed as 2006 to 2016. After investigating frame part to which it attached it I found same part no. however a different dash no. between the 2018 and 2016, I suspected if there was any difference it would be in the aft bolt on the part where the frame mounted to the exhaust so I threw the dice and bet $257 bucks on A) MCMOTO coming through and B) the Ukrainian Post being operational. When I ordered the part I got a link to the order on their site, see below. It originally had In Progress highlighted after a week Completed was highlighted however it never changed to Shipped and I did not receive any shipping information as the site said I would.

A week after is changed to Completed I sent an e-mail to the addressed listed to try to get information, no answer. After another week I sent a second e-mail and attempted to call the Ukrainian no. on the web site contact us. No Joy. About an hour later it was delivered. Total time 21 days.

I put it on the bike and put in the bolts at rear end, they went directly into the existing holes my Givi Top Case was mounted on. I put in the two bolts in where the hand rail mounts on the side. All good. Looked underneath at the front mounting bolts and they were at the right height but about a one 2/3 of a bolt width off but at the same height as the pre-drilled hole. I expanded the hole further and all fit.

In my case I have after market rear canyon cages to the bolt into the frame wouldn't work as it was 70 mm and I needed a 90 mm full length thread. Got that bolt, it slid right in. Because of the "long" bolt hole I did a belt and suspender lock washer and a nylon bolt and all is as solid as could be (note also trimmed a fender washer to block the opeing due to my extending the original hole).

Givi bags came, they were a bit tight but it works they have loosened up going on and off but I still need to manually push the button and apply a a bit of pressure. This surprised me a little as I did test my existing tail case on the racks as a side case test and it slid on and off easily.

I was able to use my original tail case FJR adapter plate and mount it on top of the monokey tail mount on the new rack. Just needed loner bolts and they went back into the same holes.

Have loaded my camping gear into the GIVI 46 trekkers, easily put all of it into the cases including tent, sleeping bag, air mattress cooking stove 3 cans of food utensils fire starting stuff towels etc. This stuff with out the tent pretty much filled the original FJR bags. I have plenty of room for clothes in the boxes. This will reduce the rear seat stap ons signifcantly etc.

If you do decide to try this contact me and I will send pics.

Thank you Old Jeep and Chuck P for the information you provided as o your experiences on your 2007's, it does work on 2018 with a minor mod as you see. I Leave in a couple of weeks for my annual Fall tour of the west - this year Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon and back home to Washington are on tap.

Attachments

• 20240814_162325.jpg
    20240814_162325.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240814_162238.jpg
    20240814_162238.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • MCMOTO page.jpg
    MCMOTO page.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240816_084057.jpg
    20240816_084057.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240816_084039.jpg
    20240816_084039.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I just completed an installation of GIVI Trekker 46 Liter Side Cases on my 2018 FJR. I have been wanting to do this since I got the bike in 2020 but my internet searches came up with nothing for some reason however this time MCMOTO came up as having a rack which apparently has been available for a long time.

The rack came from MCMOTO a Ukrainian out fit. Cost $210 with $57 Shipping cost. Rack is listed as 2006 to 2016. After investigating frame part to which it attached it I found same part no. however a different dash no. between the 2018 and 2016, I suspected if there was any difference it would be in the aft bolt on the part where the frame mounted to the exhaust so I threw the dice and bet $257 bucks on A) MCMOTO coming through and B) the Ukrainian Post being operational. When I ordered the part I got a link to the order on their site, see below. It originally had In Progress highlighted after a week Completed was highlighted however it never changed to Shipped and I did not receive any shipping information as the site said I would.

A week after is changed to Completed I sent an e-mail to the addressed listed to try to get information, no answer. After another week I sent a second e-mail and attempted to call the Ukrainian no. on the web site contact us. No Joy. About an hour later it was delivered. Total time 21 days.

I put it on the bike and put in the bolts at rear end, they went directly into the existing holes my Givi Top Case was mounted on. I put in the two bolts in where the hand rail mounts on the side. All good. Looked underneath at the front mounting bolts and they were at the right height but about a one 2/3 of a bolt width off but at the same height as the pre-drilled hole. I expanded the hole further and all fit.

In my case I have after market rear canyon cages to the bolt into the frame wouldn't work as it was 70 mm and I needed a 90 mm full length thread. Got that bolt, it slid right in. Because of the "long" bolt hole I did a belt and suspender lock washer and a nylon bolt and all is as solid as could be (note also trimmed a fender washer to block the opeing due to my extending the original hole).

Givi bags came, they were a bit tight but it works they have loosened up going on and off but I still need to manually push the button and apply a a bit of pressure. This surprised me a little as I did test my existing tail case on the racks as a side case test and it slid on and off easily.

I was able to use my original tail case FJR adapter plate and mount it on top of the monokey tail mount on the new rack. Just needed loner bolts and they went back into the same holes.

Have loaded my camping gear into the GIVI 46 trekkers, easily put all of it into the cases including tent, sleeping bag, air mattress cooking stove 3 cans of food utensils fire starting stuff towels etc. This stuff with out the tent pretty much filled the original FJR bags. I have plenty of room for clothes in the boxes. This will reduce the rear seat stap ons signifcantly etc.

If you do decide to try this contact me and I will send pics.

Thank you Old Jeep and Chuck P for the information you provided as o your experiences on your 2007's, it does work on 2018 with a minor mod as you see. I Leave in a couple of weeks for my annual Fall tour of the west - this year Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon and back home to Washington are on tap.
Looks good. BTW - Chuck P and OldJeep are the same guy ;)