26 hr ride home to S FL

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemride

Reaction score
I made the mistake to let a friend/neighbor JamesK talk me into riding all the way home to S FL in one shot. If you slab it is about 800 miles which I've done in a few ocassions in about 12-14 hrs.

But we wanted to add another day of fun :yahoo: so we took some great backroads between JC and Atlanta (thanks to Mike & Michelle for showing us the way), but this added a lot more time that we had anticipated.

Plus the rain did not help the situation, especially after we jumped on I75 when we ran into a monsoon. :( Luckily it stopped just north of the FL/GA state line.

We left JC Monday at 7:30am and made it home on Tuesday at 9:30am... so this was a 26 hr ride. :dribble: Needless to say I don't recommend anybody try it... I know I won't do it again.

PS: By the way, I really enjoyed this EOM. I had the chance to meet and ride with many new folks and I am looking forward to next year.

I made the mistake to let a friend/neighbor JamesK talk me into riding all the way home to S FL in one shot. If you slab it is about 800 miles which I've done in a few ocassions in about 12-14 hrs. But we wanted to add another day of fun :yahoo: so we took some great backroads between JC and Atlanta (thanks to Mike & Michelle for showing us the way), but this added a lot more time that we had anticipated.

Plus the rain did not help the situation, especially after we jumped on I75 when we ran into a monsoon. :( Luckily it stopped just north of the FL/GA state line.

We left JC Monday at 7:30am and made it home on Tuesday at 9:30am... so this was a 26 hr ride. :dribble: Needless to say I don't recommend anybody try it... I know I won't do it again.

PS: By the way, I really enjoyed this EOM. I had the chance to meet and ride with many new folks and I am looking forward to next year.
Glad you had a good time. M&M and James will always take care of you.

You should have ridden with Dan and me. We left at 730am and got home at 730pm, little bits of rain but otherwise good ride and would do it again. Good riding with you and am definitely looking forward to next year.

Are you saying you did this with no sleep ???

Should have gotten a start gas receipt and another at the end or right past 1000 miles and submitted to the IBA for a SS1000 certification, if so. Would have had to plan it that way to properly do the paperwork.

You did go over 1000 miles in 24 hours on the trip, right ???

I made the mistake to let a friend/neighbor JamesK talk me into riding all the way home to S FL in one shot. If you slab it is about 800 miles which I've done in a few ocassions in about 12-14 hrs. But we wanted to add another day of fun :yahoo: so we took some great backroads between JC and Atlanta (thanks to Mike & Michelle for showing us the way), but this added a lot more time that we had anticipated.

Glad you had a good time. M&M and James will always take care of you.
Yep, they are great folks...

You should have ridden with Dan and me. We left at 730am and got home at 730pm, little bits of rain but otherwise good ride and would do it again. Good riding with you and am definitely looking forward to next year.
Maybe, but then I would have missed a great day of riding between JC and Atlanta... :clapping:

It was good riding with you also, and see you soon.

Should have gotten a start gas receipt and another at the end or right past 1000 miles and submitted to the IBA for a SS1000 certification, if so. Would have had to plan it that way to properly do the paperwork.

We actually took a 1/2 hr nap at one of the rest stops on I75. But plenty of coffee too... James did managed a 2nd nap when we were a couple hrs from home. But let me tell you, it took me a couple days to recuperate...

I think we went a bit over the 24hrs but we were also not trying to do a SS1000. Although we did one on our way to the 2009 SFO. And we completed that one in 18 hrs; but it was all slab.

I think I've had enough of these long rides for a while... :blink:

[SIZE=14pt]WIMP[/SIZE] I say!

j/k Julio....it was nice meeting and riding with you, but I woulda thought you'da known James well enough by now..... :blink:

[SIZE=14pt]WIMP[/SIZE] I say!

j/k Julio....it was nice meeting and riding with you, but I woulda thought you'da known James well enough by now..... :blink:
Hi Steve, Sunday ride was a bit wet but fun nonetheless. And regarding James, well he is just a smooth talker... :rolleyes:

I'm glad you made it back safely, Julio. Michele and I enjoyed meeting you and riding with you. Hopefully, our time in the mountains was the best part of your trip home. The roads and views were awsome, but I wish the weather had been better.

Personally, I thought you guys were crazy for wanting to ride the twisties South until they run out, then slabbing it home in one day. James must be a very smooth talker. I can't believe he talked HIMSELF into it.

Michele and I were exhausted when we got home. Riding hard through unknown mountain roads in the pouring rain really took it's toll on us. Maintaing such a high level of concentration for hours is very tiring. I don't know how you guys made it home.

Next time James brings you back up here, leave yourselves a little more time so you can enjoy the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

that's what I did for my ride down. I agree it's a grueling ride. But I included Skyline Drive in my route so that was a highlight for me. Pending certification from the IBA. Looking forward to getting my plate frame, and for me this won't be the last time. Next one will be a Bunn Burner Gold. 1500 miles in 24 hours or less. That one will have to be all slab to pull it off though, after that one I will do a 50CC ride. The only problem with the 50CC ride is I will need to ride from Mass to Florida to reach the starting point of the ride. It's just too many miles from Mass to Calif, to pull off in 50 hours. I'm hooked on the LD riding! The Feejer is made for it. Ride safe everyone.

I'm glad you made it back safely, Julio. Michele and I enjoyed meeting you and riding with you. Hopefully, our time in the mountains was the best part of your trip home. The roads and views were awsome, but I wish the weather had been better.
Personally, I thought you guys were crazy for wanting to ride the twisties South until they run out, then slabbing it home in one day. James must be a very smooth talker. I can't believe he talked HIMSELF into it.

Michele and I were exhausted when we got home. Riding hard through unknown mountain roads in the pouring rain really took it's toll on us. Maintaing such a high level of concentration for hours is very tiring. I don't know how you guys made it home.

Next time James brings you back up here, leave yourselves a little more time so you can enjoy the trip.
Mike, the ride through the mountains was definetely worth while and I hope to get the chance to do it again soon.

My original plan was to get a hotel room somewhere south of Atlanta. But Dan decided to skip the twisties and take the slab home from JC and James needed to be at work the next day. So that plan went down the drain... I am not sure how we pulled it off, but I don't think I'll try it again. And I think James was pretty beat by the end too...

Thanks again.

Julio

that's what I did for my ride down. I agree it's a grueling ride. But I included Skyline Drive in my route so that was a highlight for me. Pending certification from the IBA. Looking forward to getting my plate frame, and for me this won't be the last time. Next one will be a Bunn Burner Gold. 1500 miles in 24 hours or less. That one will have to be all slab to pull it off though, after that one I will do a 50CC ride. The only problem with the 50CC ride is I will need to ride from Mass to Florida to reach the starting point of the ride. It's just too many miles from Mass to Calif, to pull off in 50 hours. I'm hooked on the LD riding! The Feejer is made for it. Ride safe everyone.
Doing twisties most of the day plus another 750 miles on the slab was definetely a grueling day. Mainly trying to stay awake for more than 24 hrs in a row is probably not a good idea. For this ride I was awake for about 28 hrs... :dribble:

Good luck on the 1500 and 50CC and ride safe.

Wow Julio...That's a long ride. I did have a good time on Sunday with this grop also. After talking to James at dinner, I thought about logging the ride home, but kind of forgot until it was too late.

I was going to ride the 1525 miles back to my front door in one shot, but the Tsunami type rain I ran into in Oklahoma changed my mind. I stopped after 1100 miles the first day. About 100 miles after my initial gas stop in JC in the rain (across the street from the hotel), I remembered I was supposed to get a receipt and log my starting mileage. OOPS. I coulda had a SS1000 if I just would have thought about it. Oh well...Next time.

Wow Julio...That's a long ride. I did have a good time on Sunday with this grop also. After talking to James at dinner, I thought about logging the ride home, but kind of forgot until it was too late.
I was going to ride the 1525 miles back to my front door in one shot, but the Tsunami type rain I ran into in Oklahoma changed my mind. I stopped after 1100 miles the first day. About 100 miles after my initial gas stop in JC in the rain (across the street from the hotel), I remembered I was supposed to get a receipt and log my starting mileage. OOPS. I coulda had a SS1000 if I just would have thought about it. Oh well...Next time.
Yep, Monday was a long, very long day...

Sunday was great; a bit wet but the goat trail did made up for an interesting ride...

I think we must have hit the same rain... shortly after Atlanta it was unbelievable.

And don't despair, when you come back next year you'll have another chance for a SS1000 or 1500... Ride safe!