2nd day of ownership & dropped my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was taking my GSX-R600 off it's rear stand after giving it an oil change. I didn't realize the slight side slope on the driveway so as it came off the stand it was leaning a little, it started over and back in the back, there's not much to grab hold of. I managed to bearhug the tail plastic and using everything I had I settled that flimsy plastic down on the pavement as absolutely gently as I could. Then I took a few moments to ponder what stupid looks like before figuring out how to lift that suckah uphill. Ugh, I NEVER want to lift an FJR uphill (wheels pointed uphill).

I dropped the first time I stopped for gas, with 3 miles on the odo. Later I dropped it on the other side trying to do a uturn on a small country road.

At least I've got symmetrical scratches.

Must be contagious -- I slow-dropped mine in the garage last week in the midst of spring cleaning. Cost me a mirror but not a(nother) hernia surgery...

Glad you're OK.

Top this: 6 month old bike. Backing into my shop after having just thought about what a great evening ride and day it had been. Turned handlebar and guess just lost concentration for a second. Next thing I know I'm straining my ass off to hold my unblemished beauty from going over when it just gets to heavy and I have to bale. Bike lands against my powertool bench while I reach out to grab myself on my table saw. Immense pain insues and I have just been able to accomplish wonderful things. A.Scar my machine all up and bend mirror on right side B. Completely separated my right shoulder and now in extreme pain headed for the emergency room. Amazing how a day can turn on a dime!

Top this: 6 month old bike. Backing into my shop after having just thought about what a great evening ride and day it had been. Turned handlebar and guess just lost concentration for a second. Next thing I know I'm straining my ass off to hold my unblemished beauty from going over when it just gets to heavy and I have to bale. Bike lands against my powertool bench while I reach out to grab myself on my table saw. Immense pain insues and I have just been able to accomplish wonderful things. A.Scar my machine all up and bend mirror on right side B. Completely separated my right shoulder and now in extreme pain headed for the emergency room. Amazing how a day can turn on a dime!
Admit it though, you stood the bike back up before going to the ER. I know you didn't go down there and spend the entire time at the ER worrying about your bike laying on it's side back at home. :D

Dad dropped his in the parking lot of the Big Lynn Lodge at Little Switzerland just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. It had been a long day, lots of curves and the parking lot there is like being on top of a basketball, it curves downward from you in every direction. When they gave us our rooms, they told us that they were sorry that part of the parking lot was bad for bikes, be careful. My cousin got his Harley backed in, and almost dropped it twice. I got the ST in and almost dropped it. Dad fell over right in front of me. He was so upset with himself for hurting his bike, for looking dumb, all the usual. The manager and a couple of employees were watching and helped us get the FJR back up. Then they came over with a 6 pack of cold Bud Light longnecks for an apology. We asked Dad if we could go kick it over again, they might bring more beers...

I feel your pain man, I had just gone up to the dealers to get my new givi e55 box (sweet looking box on an FJR by the way) on the way home I was passing through my home town (where almost everyone would know me) and I decided to do a lap of the town to show off the new machine.

As I passed the grave yard I decided to pull in and visit my mothers grave, I parked on the side of the street with the bike leaning towards the slope of the road. When I hopped back up on the bike I was foucasing on not kicking my top box and of course the bike started to fall over to the opposit side from the kick stand, then my foot then slipped on some loose stones and I just could not hold it with my bad footing position. Down it went gently and marked the mirror and a few small marks on the fairing and pannier. I owned the bike two weeks at that point so I was totally p1ssed off.

Anyway I went on a 1500km trip that weekend and I had a great time as it was all about the ride and not the paint work, you will get over it mate, hopefully it will only happen us the once :)

Admit it though, you stood the bike back up before going to the ER. I know you didn't go down there and spend the entire time at the ER worrying about your bike laying on it's side back at home. :D
Almost, I did try but pain was excruciating so I summoned my son and called my buddy and she was up within 20 minutes.

I dropped mine yesterday for the first time after only 1800km's.....i enterred a parking lot on my left hand side coming from a road that curved to the Right, unfortunately there was a pick-up who also entered the parking lot but who cut the curve in the road and entered the parking lot faster than I and to my left hand side. I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye and jammed the brakes....tried to put my foot down but there was sand so.....down i went ! only a few scratches on the mirror & underneath the engine cover...thak god for those frame sliders.....

I was expecting it ot be heavy to put back up but i guess witht he adrenaline pumping, it came right back up in a hurry !

lesson learned but Ego hurts !!!!

Sorry to hear, man. We worked on my nephew's zx9 a couple months ago. Oil, brake pads and new fluid. Everything went smooth as silk, which is odd for us. Came in to wash my hands, go back out to the garage and the Ninja is on it's side and my nephew is white as a sheet. He went to lower it off the track stand (that's how losers without center stands have to get the rear wheel up!!), but forgot he left the sidestand up. He moved the sidestand to get better access to the drain bolt or something and just spaced it out. Bike picked up and no worries other than a scratch or two. I think something like this happens to just about everyone. :)

One of the best stands I've ever used was my Pit Bull forward rotating rear stand. It only worked for certain bikes, such as my TLR, but man, being able to take it off the rear stand while standing next to the bike instead of behind it made things soooooo much easier.

Sorry about your mishap man. Welcome to the club, I dropped mine in front of my work and most of my co-workers were standing there to see the whole thing!! <_< Most embarrasing. :angry:

Sorry about your mishap man. Welcome to the club, I dropped mine in front of my work and most of my co-workers were standing there to see the whole thing!! <_< Most embarrasing. :angry:

Fortunately I had just installed my Motovation frame sliders two days before. Best money I ever spent!! :eek:

I just dropped mine yesterday trying to leave the driveway. I went home for lunch thought about riding the bike back and said I would ride after work. After my lunch I walked by the bike in the garage and thought nope, I want to ride it now. I backed it out and closed the door. I get on it and start backing down the slight driveway, put it in gear and start going forward. I need to take a hard right turn to leave. I give it more gas and too much clutch. The bike dies in a sharp right hand turn while I was starting to lean. I come to a stop, put my foot down and think this is a bad idea. I can't hold the bike and quickly decide to try and gently lay it down and get out of the way. I broke a mirror and scratched my slider and my rear bag. I rolled backward and onto my feet. Yelled quite a few things into my helmet and collected my thoughts. I backed up to the bike, placed my butt on the seat and grabbed the handle bar and passenger hand hold and walked the bike upright. Then I thought... shoot, I didn't put the kick stand down before I picked the bike up! I got on the bike, started it and rode the 10 feet back into my garage and parked the bike. Jumped in the truck and drove back to work anyway! Now I posted a wtb add for mirrors!