3/4 Helmet recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulie

Reaction score
What do people like? I wear XL and probably have a more oval shaped head.

Has anyone tried the Givi modular unit?

Any recs appreciated.

I'd never go with anything other than a full face. I knocked teeth out simply by running (well, and falling), I couldn't imagine what would have happened if I would have been going 30 or 40mph (aside from being astonished that I was running so fast).

Last edited by a moderator:
full face helmet all the time. just crack open your visor for air flow!

cadman

I've read the reports, thanks. Now that the preaching has been taken care of let's move on to recommendations, if anyone has them.

paulie, you may be hard-pressed to find many fans of the open face lid here. I'm not going to preach to you, just letting you know that the vast majority use full face or modular (flip up chin bar) types.

I have a couple Shoei "Ram Air" lids, size small unfortunetly. But they are Snell rated. Very good air flow. When I wore one I used goggles.

I too only wear a full face now, but the Shoei 3/4 helmets fit me well.

I've got a HJC 3/4 helmet. It's o.k., but seems a bit bulky/heavy for a 3/4 lid. I've only tried on a few full helmets, and took them right back off. Suppose a person might get used to them after a while, but I felt clausterphobic, and uncomfortable in them.

Maybe some time I'll get to a store and try everything on to find the one for me, and just adapt to it, but for now I like the wind in my face.

Besides, if you wear a 3/4 helmet, you'll look like The Great Gazoo from the Flintstones! :)

gazoo2.gif

RenoJohn to the phone? RenoJohn?
Carver, I was going to try to be good today.
Paulie asked a basic question. He likely doesn't care what you wear, nor should he care. yet the reciprocal is obviously not the case. Folks are sure hell-bent in forcing their agenda, without even acknowledging his question which was specific in a recommendation for a 3/4helmet.

I kinda get the feeling (just from his signature) that Paulie is not a zombie follower, I get the feeling that he rides his ride and his life by his own rules. I doubt he'll be picking a helmet like yours because of your personal biases or agenda.

Paulie, I'm of no personal help on your question, but zillions of "wing" riders use 3/4helmets and that may be a good arena to get recommendations.

OH, and truth be known, most of us use fullface to hide our ugly mugs. At least that is my only reason.

Well, Scott, my uncle Vernon was the artist who drew Snap Crackle and Pop for Kellogg, so I'm quite fond of the Great Gazoo. This has turned into an interesting thread - It is too bad that a number of the replies have gone missing. I wonder how many of the fearless proselytizers for full face helmets are smokers. Choices, choices.

I only mention the Great Gazoo because when I ride my police ATV at work, I wear a 3/4 helmet, and I think I look like him too....only fatter and with a goatee.

Well, Scott, my uncle Vernon was the artist who drew Snap Crackle and Pop for Kellogg, so I'm quite fond of the Great Gazoo. This has turned into an interesting thread - It is too bad that a number of the replies have gone missing. I wonder how many of the fearless proselytizers for full face helmets are smokers. Choices, choices.
Although I wear a Nolan N-102 modular, a friend just picked up a Nolan N-42. It seems like a good helmet and I like the way the Nolans fit. It also has the smoked flip down sunshield (VPS) which I have on the 102 and like alot. I do wonder about the 3/4 shield flipping up at higher speeds though :dntknw:

Although I wear a Nolan N-102 modular, a friend just picked up a Nolan N-42. It seems like a good helmet and I like the way the Nolans fit. It also has the smoked flip down sunshield (VPS) which I have on the 102 and like alot. I do wonder about the 3/4 shield flipping up at higher speeds though :dntknw:
I'm a full face proselytizer (I have a Nolan N-102 N-COM), but the Nolan N-42 N-COM would be my 1st choice if I was a 3/4 helmet kind of guy (not that there's anything wrong with that...) ;)