3/4 Helmet recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need a full face to protect the brain that uses words like proselytizer!!! :rolleyes:

It's about personal choice. I can gaurantee ya' there's something about everyone on this board that other peeps will scoff at. :wacko: Is it the greatest protection.....no, but at least he wears a helmet, unlike the majority of the "cool" kids that ride hogs.

Isn't "proselytizer" a great word? In the WDITOT* category, I offer up a compromise:
https://www.webbikeworld.com/schuberth-j1/

You'd think there would have been some former football players in the helmet industry before now.

*Why Didn't I Think of That

Dammit, I liked the looks of that hlemet so I read the whole review, only to find out at the end that it's not DOT approved, and won't be sold in the US of A.

Paulie,

I have worn a full face helmet since the first Bell Star in 1968 - however, I respect your right to make a choice.

Just for your consideration - I use a Caberg Justissimo GT - and it's a convertible. The helmet includes the necessary pieces to remove the chin bar, and convert to a 3/4 helmet.

This would give you the flexibility to add or delete the chin bar as your choices dictate.

These helmets are no longer imported to the states and as such are not DOT approved - however they are ECE 22.05 which many consider to be a superior approval. (gang, let's not have this post digress into a certification discussion, ok?) So if you live in a DOT required state, this may not be for you.

They are available from the EMEA region - I purchased mine from Designer Helmets in the UK- Caberg Justissimo GT

Once you pay shipping and currency conversion fees to your credit card, you can expect to pay around $385.00. Accessories are available, etc. I consider this an excellent helmet to stick my head in.

Personally, I prefer the Caberg - this being because I have a large, round head, something like a bowling ball - and the Caberg is incredibly comfortable for MY head - the longest day without removal being just over 24 hours at the Utah 1088.

Best of luck, and be safe.

KaitsDad

Last edited by a moderator:
you dont wear a helmet? you MUST be crazy!!

you wear a shortie DOT helmet? you must be crazy, not enough protection!!

you wear a 3/4 face helmet? you must be crazy, not enough protection...only a full face here!!

you wear a flip up full face? you must be crazy, it could pop open...only a SNELL & DOT helmet here!!

you wear a full face helmet? you MUST be crazy to even RIDE a motorcycle!! way too dangerous. That full face aint gonna protect ya if a truck smashes into you.

yada yada yada.... maybe the gov't needs to go a step further and OUTLAW motorcycles, for even a fool can see that it's way too dangerous for a thinking person to ride!

As for the original question, sorry I can't help, my daily helmet is what one might call a "novelty" helmet, save my HJC Symax for freezing cold or rainy days only.

God Bless Texas and their no helmet law! Now if only Louisiana would follow suit! ;)

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

I guess my reason for a full coverage helmet in your case would be the bugs that Alaska is famous for coming in under your face shield on the 3/4 coverage helmet. I hate sharing my helmet with bugs, and even with a full coverage helmet with the face shield just cracked open a bit and the vents open, some nights I end up with bugs in my eyes and on my face.

As for what 3/4 to buy, get one that fits from a company with assets to protect. HJC, Shoei, Arai, Nolan, undoubtedly others, all make good helmets. I like the HJC at the low price point end. They usually offer customizing capabilities, like alternative cheek pieces, face shields with tear off capability, and other features that are nice for the price point. At the higher end, I like Nolan stuff. My N102 (not a 3/4 mind you), for example, has one of the neatest chin strap fasteners I've ever used.

Now is a good time to be thinking about a helmet because there seem to be a lot of sales going on. I would recommend a new helmet as opposed to a used one, just because you never know the history on a used one. There can be internal damage (typically separation of the shock absorbing shell from the hard impact resistant shell). A new helmet isn't that expensive when you consider the importance of what its protecting.

Happy Trails...

you dont wear a helmet? you MUST be crazy!!
you wear a shortie DOT helmet? you must be crazy, not enough protection!!

you wear a 3/4 face helmet? you must be crazy, not enough protection...only a full face here!!

you wear a flip up full face? you must be crazy, it could pop open...only a SNELL & DOT helmet here!!

you wear a full face helmet? you MUST be crazy to even RIDE a motorcycle!! way too dangerous. That full face aint gonna protect ya if a truck smashes into you.

yada yada yada.... maybe the gov't needs to go a step further and OUTLAW motorcycles, for even a fool can see that it's way too dangerous for a thinking person to ride!

As for the original question, sorry I can't help, my daily helmet is what one might call a "novely" helmet, save my HJC Symax for freezing cold or rainy days only.

God Bless Texas and their no helmet law! Now if only Louisiana would follow suit! ;)

Jay

Yeah! What he said, especially the blessing of Texas.....they need all the help they can get. :lol2:

'04 FJR 1300

I've worn a 3/4 since I started wearing helmets on a regular basis, not all that long ago. After several misfires, I found this

exo200_solidv_black.jpg

Scorp EXO-200. It is the best one I've owned, by far. Well made, nice easily removed for cleaning liner, space for speakers, cooling vents, includes quick release/install visor and clear rain shield, reasonable price, and outstanding customer support.

Scorpion Helmets

Love my HJC CL-Max modular. Can be 3/4 open when I want, or, full face when I want. As far as popping open accidentally, maybe 1 in a 1000 odds. But I'll take 'em.

I borrowed my friend's 3/4 helmet...didn't like the way it felt on my noggin. I have a Shoei x-11 black full face and love it. It's light and has air inlets/outlets. Besides, I like the way it looks on me with the mirrored visor ;) .

Whether or not you get 3/4, full, german-style with the pointed silver thing on top is up to you. There are risks with any choice. It was easier to view to my side and behind me when I wore the 3/4 than now when I wear the full face. But I'll gladly sacrifice that option knowing that my jaw & teeth have more protection.

Whatever you do at least get a helmet, good riding boots, gloves, and appropriate pant & jacket.

Colorado doesn't have a helmet law but does require eye protection. It's usually the riders on rockets & touring bikes that have helmets. Last week a rock was kicked up by someone in front of me and pelted my arm. Dang, even with my jacket it still stung. It's time like those that I'm glad I have a full face with shield.

Rides Alone here,

On hot days, I frequently wear a SHOEI RJ-AIR PLATINUM open faced helmet. It is a very comfortable helmet and much cooler than the Nolan 102 that I wear when it is not so hot. You might consider checking it out...

AFX FX 7 The color i purchased sucks but i want to stand out as much as i can . you have to see my yellow jacket now is that ugly