3 new tires... in two days --- UGH!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, just fyi and for what it's worth...

I am quite hard on tires, 1000-2000 miles per set. Over the years I have used sticky strings probably 6 or 7 times (haven't really documented or made a mental count). All of the repairs have been on the side of the road. I have even run some plugged rears all the way to cords on the side of tire and where the plug was installed. Always worked great!

If it is a puncture away from the sidewall....Don't be skeered! Just install properly and by the time you put up everything and get set to ride...be on your way with a smile.

Anyone here ever tried Dynaplugs? https://www.dynaplug.com/
I carry one on each bike because they're much easier to use than the rope-type. I've got arthritis in both hands, and those rope-type plugs are hard to push through. I plugged a nail hole in my truck tire a couple of years ago with it, and it's still holding fine, but a sample of one is not that definitive
wink.png
Yep, and I no longer even carry them on the bike. Tried it on two occasions, and while both times it was enough to get home, I still had to stop every 30-60 minutes to check the air pressure and top up.
Thanks for the input. It's been OK on my truck tire so far, but they don't look as secure as the rope plugs, which I've used many times successfully.
Can't say they're bad, 'cuz they are a quick easy fix for a small puncture. Can't say they're good, because I couldn't get one to stay in a couple of tires. Need more glue on those little strings....... went back to the good ole reliable sticky strings as emergency repairs.. But, know folks who had them leak too, so I go for the plug patch thing and run 'er to the cords.

Since we are talking plugging tires, I gotta question for you smart people.

On another motorcycle forum, I read a post stating that if you plug a tire, eventually water will penetrate the puncture and, basically, rust the steel belts inside the tire.

Seems kinda far-fetched to me because the glue stuff would / should seal the puncture, and you'd need to get air in there to get the belts rusting.

Thoughts?

All I can say is that I've plugged nearly new tires and worn them out with no problems.

If the rust thing were an issue it would be on car tires as well, wouldn't it? I have plugged car tires and had them last for years.