300 miles on a tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a trip last may from Oklahoma City, OK to Carlisle, PA to Grand Junction, CO and back to Oklahoma City, OK. There was only 3 tanks on that trip that I didn't get between 300 and 320 a tank. The 320 tank I coasted into a fuel station in the middle of the high plains in Colorado and was happy that there was somebody working at 9pm!!

I can't even relate to this 300 miles on a tank stuff, I would have to be in a coma to maintain 55. It's a great day if I can average 37mpg. Perhaps after a lobotomy....... :dribble:

I've only done it once.

I thought there was something wrong with my bike because everyone else was getting better mileage than I was getting. I decided to cool it and ride at reasonable speeds (usually 5mph over posted, never 10mph over posted).

Gawd! That was a boring 300+ miles. I'll never do that again.

:lol: Right on, Joe! :lol:

Cripes, if I'm going to shift at 2,500 rpm and keep it at or under the posted speed limit, I'll be taking my car instead. Geez.....

Twice, but many more times where I could have gone over 300 but there wasn't any place to get gas. Usually has to be in higher altitude or around 4,000 feet or so and I keep the speed under 72.65 mph ;) . On trips, by myself, I average 2mpg above and below 46 and have done as well as 54 on a tank. In the upper elevations, I will go 60 miles on reserve, while in the lower elevations only 50. Reserve flashing will occur between 210 and 240.

I've only done it once.

I thought there was something wrong with my bike because everyone else was getting better mileage than I was getting. I decided to cool it and ride at reasonable speeds (usually 5mph over posted, never 10mph over posted).

Gawd! That was a boring 300+ miles. I'll never do that again.

:lol: Right on, Joe! :lol:

Cripes, if I'm going to shift at 2,500 rpm and keep it at or under the posted speed limit, I'll be taking my car instead. Geez.....
+1 again from another Minnesotan irritated anytime the FJR is forced under 5k rpms...

No problem getting 300 miles on a tank. That is riding 2up, pulling the trailer and averaging 80 mph. Did I say I have Frankentank II? :eek: That is a 9.5 gallon tank and I average 37.5 mpg riding as described. :p

No problem getting 300 miles on a tank. That is riding 2up, pulling the trailer and averaging 80 mph. Did I say I have Frankentank II? :eek: That is a 9.5 gallon tank and I average 37.5 mpg riding as described. :p
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

I think my FJR might have a problem - mpg too high. My last round trip to California was just over 3k miles and the avg mpg for the trip displayed 54 when I pulled into my garage. I did very little freeway riding, so maybe I stayed out of the big gulp zone.

Add me to the club

83b6cfd3.jpg

Fwiw, 50 mph is about 60 mpg but the difference between 50 mpg and 60 is a pain in the ass

Since my most recent monetary donation to the local (in)justice of the peace I have been getting 48-50mpg's and filling up at 310 miles on the trip meter (1 week of work commuting). I was getting about 220-250 per tank before being force to change my ways for a year...

I must have a smaller tank than the rest of you, I am fortunate if I get 300 kms out of a tank.
I was in that category as well until I pulled the Power commander out of the bike a few weeks ago! The previous owner had the bike "dyno-tuned" with performance and ultimate low throttle response in mind at the expense of fuel economy. I will put up with a bit of snatchy throttle for mileage since I do some fairly long trips. I had an overnight 20-25% mileage improvement and can get 250+ miles (400 km) before it starts blinking assuming there's not a lot of stop-and-go or high speed highway runs (very conservative ride). With reserve, this would be easily 300 miles. As others have said, not much excitement in a 300+ mile tank but it can be done.

For a fairly high speed highway run (80-85 mph), mileage drops to the low to mid 40's (mpg).

If 300 km is the best you can get on a 50 mph ride, then I would say you have a problem. Maybe not if you are getting this on a "fun" ride.

Ross

I had the same issue with the power commander map - I zeroed out the map at 5 and 10 percent throttle in the cruising rpm ranges and it solved my issue on the highway.

I aint never come close.............I back off and ride her easy sometimes just to get 200 miles per tank..........and even then shes a blinking!

I can't even relate to this 300 miles on a tank stuff, I would have to be in a coma to maintain 55. It's a great day if I can average 37mpg. Perhaps after a lobotomy....... :dribble:

Same with me. I ride fast. It is physically impossible for me to ride slow. Im lucky to see 180 miles per tank.

Flash

I have never come close to 300 mi on a tank. The most is 230 mi. First, I don't take it to empty, I think 5.5 gal is the most I have put in. And second, I get about 42 mpg avg and 45 mpg at best.

Let's get ethanol out of our gas!

Last edited by a moderator:
When on road trips I get over 300 on a tank, not in town though. Now on my Ninja 250 I always go over 300 miles before hitting reserve, that's a 4.8 gallon tank with .5 gallon reserve.

I have always gotten poor gas mileage since I hammer it or go 80 on the slab. Just two days after you posted this I ran out on the New York thruway. I kept looking for a sign that said there would be gas at an exit approaching the thruway but after trying one exit with no gas found, I figured there would be something near the thruway. Next thing I know, I am at the toll booth and there is no going back. The guy said it was twenty miles to the first service plaza and they were the longest 20 miles I ever rode. About a mile from the plaza, the bike started dying but I found that swerving helped it pick up gas and, just as I thought I would make it, the bike died and I could not pull in the clutch fast enough to keep the inertia which would have gotten me the final 200 yards to the pump. Someone had stolen the clutch handle off my AE!! So, final tally was 269.5 miles by gasoline power and 0.1 miles by human power. The bike took 6.5 gallons.