3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odexplorer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using the 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film

on their tank to prevent damage caused by a tank bag ?

I haven't used it on the tank but I have used in on the lower cowl. I do plan to use in on my side cases too but the weather turned a little too cold to do this. I found the 3M product at my local auto supply stores: Autozone or Advance Auto.

I applied it to the lower cowl (below the radiator) but could not get it to spray on without creating air bubbles. It also dried leaving a somewhat hazy finish. I removed it and used the adhesive backed carbon fibre material. If I were to apply a protective material for a tank bag, I would use 3M clear film. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to shape the material. I think the spray-on product will begin to fray after some use.

I still have it on my lower cowl and do not see any flaking after 1000 miles. If I remember the instructions correctly, the haziness is due to too much spray. Also, I found bubbles occur when the can it's below 60-65 degrees.

I just applied it to the to and front of both side cases and the temp was only about 50. The spray sputtered a little so I had to use a tip of paper towel to remove the blemishes and respray after I warmed up the can. The finished work looks great!

I hope you find what works for you.

You can go to any arts & crafts store like "JoAnn Fabrics" ect.... and buy a sheet of clear plastic for a couple bucks.

They have rolls of clear plastic in different mil thickness.

They will cut off as much as you want.

I put this on my tank (clings) if I'm using a tank bag, works fine.

Last edited by a moderator: