4000 Mile Trip...Seeking Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the local dealership and asked for FJR1300 final drive gear oil. They gave me yamaha friction modified shaft drive gear oil SAE 80w90 API service GL-4, GL-5. On the back it says it is for ATVs or any other GL-4 or GL-5 specification. Is this the right shit?
yep, that's fine

I go to my local auto parts store and purchase Mobil 1 fully synthetic 75w90 gear lube for about $11 which is enough to accomplish four or five (capacity 0.21 quart) changes

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wc...T%7CGRP2035____

18059_486198470178_708500178_11125046_2635210_n.jpg
Thanks. I did a search for "gear oil" and did not find that specific question answered. Found plenty of banter. Such is the nature of these forums.

Be sure and take a flashlight for Pete's sake!
Just curious? What are you going to do if your boots and gloves get wet?

Have someone who cares for you tie a bell under your bike.
Put a PR2 on that rear and have them put in RIDE ON. That will be the best thing you can do to ensure safe tire riding. When they change the tire have them lube the shaft splines! I've made the run thru the Rockies in late Aug and there is always a danger of snow. Check the weather each day and plan your ride avoiding snow and rain if possible. The further west you go the better weather you will likely experience. If you have a good jacket and a rain suit you should be OK. I like to travel light and stay where the overnight facility has a guest laundry room. Have a safe trip and next time plan your trip thru the Rockies a little earlier.