5 Day Ride - Twin Cities South and Back - Ideas?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife and I did the Great River Road a number of years ago over 4 days. We went down the MN/Iowa side to the Quad Cities and then back up the IL/Wis side on the way back. Some great roads, wonderful scenery and tons of little towns to stop and eat/shop in. We didn't spend a whole lot of time walking around, so if you were to do that it would easily eat up 5 days.

I'm with Wicked Webby, go nort! Might be cooler too.
FJRChik,

Considering your roots..How are you doing with all that heat down there?

WW
it sucks and i hate it. it got way too hot, way too fast this year. and too humid too. can't wait to move away. haven't rode in several weeks now cause its just not fun. am gonna go for ice cream tonight though.

i'm looking at riding up to MN for the 4th of july. i've always wanted to ride up there and i love doing the 4th up there. Fairmont puts on a pretty killer show for a small town and then we go to grandma's lake house in SW MN for more fireworks there. i'm really excited about it. and i'll hit the twin cities to see all my friends too. haven't been home in a year and half, which is a long time for me!
Chik,

Did you make it up for the 4th?? Too hot around here even these days!!

BTW,

Anyone looking for roads in MN.. You need to check out the Little Gem Gramps introduced me to.. Hwy 60 between Zumbrota, MN and Wabasha, MN!!! A 35 mile stretch of sweet roads, corners and some beautiful hill country.

WW

I'm with Wicked Webby, go nort! Might be cooler too.
FJRChik,

Considering your roots..How are you doing with all that heat down there?

WW
it sucks and i hate it. it got way too hot, way too fast this year. and too humid too. can't wait to move away. haven't rode in several weeks now cause its just not fun. am gonna go for ice cream tonight though.

i'm looking at riding up to MN for the 4th of july. i've always wanted to ride up there and i love doing the 4th up there. Fairmont puts on a pretty killer show for a small town and then we go to grandma's lake house in SW MN for more fireworks there. i'm really excited about it. and i'll hit the twin cities to see all my friends too. haven't been home in a year and half, which is a long time for me!
Chik,

Did you make it up for the 4th?? Too hot around here even these days!!

BTW,

Anyone looking for roads in MN.. You need to check out the Little Gem Gramps introduced me to.. Hwy 60 between Zumbrota, MN and Wabasha, MN!!! A 35 mile stretch of sweet roads, corners and some beautiful hill country.

WW
nope i didn't. i decided to hold off until the house sells and try to make the trip then. hopefully that will be soon. and i'll have more coin in my pocket then too.

I have the last week in July off, had anticipated going to NAFO, which isn't gonna happen. But a little trip North would be just the ticket, if anyone would like a guide, as well as a place to stay before the jumpoff. Full maintenance facilities available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the last week in July off, had anticipated going to NAFO, which isn't gonna happen. But a little trip North would be just the ticket, if anyone would like a guide, as well as a place to stay before the jumpoff. Full maintenance facilities available.
Well, I took all of the advice here, and decided not to go South after all. The itinerary:

Wednesday 7/25: White Bear Lake, MN to Door County, WI, staying in Green Bay, so I can pee on Lambeau Field

Thursday 7/26: Green Bay to Sault Ste. Marie, MI.

Friday 7/27: Sault Ste Marie to Marquette, MI.

Saturday 7/28: Marquette to Ironwood, Wi.

Sunday 7/29: Ironwood to White Bear Lake, MN

Nothing too strenuous, 200 to 350 mile days, with some sightseeing along the way. Let me know if you're interested. It'll be a Wing and 2 Victory Visions going.