600 Mile Service Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
Just got back from my 600 mile service at 710 miles. It was 201.93, 40.93 in parts and 161.00 in labor. All I can say is I am glad I bought a service contract! Cost to me was 0.00. They even put an inspection sticker on since I ripped mine off doing the forks as it is stuck on the right top fork. Coming through the triple tree just peeled it off.

I got to watch the throttle body sync and they use a electronic carb tuner and man is that thing nice. I was off ever so slightly and I asked him to sync at 4000 rpm. He set it at idle and then at 4000 RPM is was very close so I told him not to fuss with it as it was so close.

All in all it was a fun time and while I paid 700 for the service contract it was worth it at this point.

They were not even phased with the Bosh oil filter I had used at 200 miles to change out oil. Also no issues with me changing the FD oil. The complemented the farkels and all loved the Two Brothers exhaust.

So it was a good day for a guy who got his head screwed on and can finally ride enough to need service. I told them I would see them in 4k and rode the long way home.

I just love this FJR to death!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have 249 posts with 710 miles? That is less than 3 miles per post :huh:

Do you have some sort of blackberry hooked up to your helmet? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I wished I had gotten the YES, but I bought the bike used, a year old and 1400 miles. You are only 90 miles from me and I am looking for an excellent Yamaha shop, do you have one? How much is the TBS?

When I bought my FJR, I had never done any work on my motorcycles before so I got a service contract.

Once I got online and joined the forums, reading the tips, advice, articles on FJRTech and FJRTips and FJRInfo...and having met the forum members who have helped me over the years, there is a lot I feel comfortable tackling now.

Use your service contract time as a time to read up and learn stuff...better yet, go to a local tech gathering or ride gathering and just listen and ask questions.

Most are kind enough to answer even the most basic question...they usually don't even tell you to "do a search" right to your face. :)

Seriously though, I wished I had gotten the YES, but I bought the bike used, a year old and 1400 miles. You are only 90 miles from me and I am looking for an excellent Yamaha shop, do you have one? How much is the TBS?
Yeah, that's the ticket...insult the guy, then ask him for help on info! :lol:

Well I had some serious injury's that did not allow me to ride since July 17th 2010. However I have owned a FJR since August 15th 2010. If you look for my first farkel thread you will see I have had the bike nakid and back in a farkel frenzy. I have wrenched on every bike I have owned in the last 25 years and they never saw the dealer unless it was a warranty issue. I aint scared on any service or mechanical work on any bike as long as I own a shop manual.

That said after a broken neck, left ankle, and right wrist/arm I treated myself to a 3 year service contract from my dealer. This is not the YES for extended warranty, which I also purchased for 4 years from D&H, but for service for 3 years. So no mileage limit only a three year limit. So any service that is due on a bike I get for 0.00. I just thought what the hell if I am going to buy a extended warranty for 4 years the 3 year service contract from my dealer goes hand in hand and leaves no wiggle room for a claim on the YES. Since it is dealer serviced YES has a record with no issues. Plus the fact that it helps keep the dealer in business and shows I invested in them not just Yamaha.

As to a good dealer mine is Yamaha of Camp Hill. I do not know how much they would charge you for a TB sync but you can call them. It is included in the 600 mile service, so for just it, may be different then when included in a service?

Post count is what it is. I needed a lot of help and had questions so my post count per mile is pretty high, but it is about to go way the other way as I heal more and the weather is a little more rider friendly.

wheatonFJR I have learned that there are some fantastic people on this forum who will go out of their way to help me and not tell me to search for it. Andy came over and helped me with my first Tupperware removal and that was just too cool for sure. I have learned a lot on this forum and hope to meet a lot of the guys on some Tech Days and different ride events. And as we all do I have learned the magic of "search topic site:fjrforum.com" and keeps me from getting on the Admins nerves.

Yeah, that's the ticket...insult the guy, then ask him for help on info! :lol:
Not an insult. Just interested. Hence the funny emoticons.

Well I had some serious injury's that did not allow me to ride since July 17th 2010. However I have owned a FJR since August 15th 2010. If you look for my first farkel thread you will see I have had the bike nakid and back in a farkel frenzy. I have wrenched on every bike I have owned in the last 25 years and they never saw the dealer unless it was a warranty issue. I aint scared on any service or mechanical work on any bike as long as I own a shop manual.

That said after a broken neck, left ankle, and right wrist/arm I treated myself to a 3 year service contract from my dealer. This is not the YES for extended warranty, which I also purchased for 4 years from D&H, but for service for 3 years. So no mileage limit only a three year limit. So any service that is due on a bike I get for 0.00. I just thought what the hell if I am going to buy a extended warranty for 4 years the 3 year service contract from my dealer goes hand in hand and leaves no wiggle room for a claim on the YES. Since it is dealer serviced YES has a record with no issues. Plus the fact that it helps keep the dealer in business and shows I invested in them not just Yamaha.

As to a good dealer mine is Yamaha of Camp Hill. I do not know how much they would charge you for a TB sync but you can call them. It is included in the 600 mile service, so for just it, may be different then when included in a service?

Post count is what it is. I needed a lot of help and had questions so my post count per mile is pretty high, but it is about to go way the other way as I heal more and the weather is a little more rider friendly.

wheatonFJR I have learned that there are some fantastic people on this forum who will go out of their way to help me and not tell me to search for it. Andy came over and helped me with my first Tupperware removal and that was just too cool for sure. I have learned a lot on this forum and hope to meet a lot of the guys on some Tech Days and different ride events. And as we all do I have learned the magic of "search topic site:fjrforum.com" and keeps me from getting on the Admins nerves.
Please forgive me if the first part of my post was construed as anything other than a (obviously weak) attempt at humor. And I certainly am not going to make fun of injuries and recovery, lord NO! But I was genuinely interested in your dealership. I love the bike but I don't know where to bring it for the things I don't know how to work on. So far, no one has said 'yeah I have a great shop to bring my bike to'...

Good on you for finally being able to get the miles going on your bike. :clapping:

Sorry to stir up a shitstorm...that wasn't my intent. Just a little ribbing between FJR owners. :)

My dealer just charged me 3.8 hrs for the 8,000 check. I screwed up and forgot to tell him not to change the oil so I was charged $34 for petroleum Yamaha oil and filter... and probably .4 for the labor.

Good on you for finally being able to get the miles going on your bike. :clapping:

Sorry to stir up a shitstorm...that wasn't my intent. Just a little ribbing between FJR owners. :)
Not intending to flog the dead horse any longer, but I'll be damned if I can manage to convey JUST KIDDING effectively... at least to relative strangers. And when I get a response that its the same vein of good natured ribbing, I misread THAT too. I guess I need to stick to the more universal emoticons... :) or be like John McCain and stick with the Google. :banghead:

No worries guys. I knew what you meant, and what Eric meant also.

I had a great day! Just wanted to share what I saw and did, and splain the service contract a bit.

mikatollah 3.8 @ what labor rate? I think I saw 70.00 on the board today but cant swear to it? Like I say for me while I lost time on it sitting because I was not sure of recovery time, I do about 14,000 miles a year so I should recoup my investment and a bit more.

mikatollah 3.8 @ what labor rate? I think I saw 70.00 on the board today but cant swear to it? Like I say for me while I lost time on it sitting because I was not sure of recovery time, I do about 14,000 miles a year so I should recoup my investment and a bit more.

My dealer here charges $60 hr.

I recently had the 600 mile service performed on an '09. $158.10 - $53.10 parts/$105 labor. They gave me the remaining drive shaft oil and told me to hang on to it for next time. A throttle body sync was needed. I never realized it but there was a hesitation in RPM's when first rolling on the throttle. The improvement made me one happy newb camper. :D

I recently had the 600 mile service performed on an '09. $158.10 - $53.10 parts/$105 labor. They gave me the remaining drive shaft oil and told me to hang on to it for next time. A throttle body sync was needed. I never realized it but there was a hesitation in RPM's when first rolling on the throttle. The improvement made me one happy newb camper. :D
Sounds like a great price and you got a good TB sync. Lucky to have a reasonably priced dealer. As others have posted their 600 mile service cost you can see yours is a good price.

Enjoy your ride I know I love mine.

So I noticed after the TB sync my idle seemed to "hunt and peck" a bit. Not what I would call surging but close.

Today I hooked the PC up and and warm it was bouncing 920-40'ish. So I adjusted it up to bounce in the 1050-80 range and life is good. Of course I needed to update the PCV software and then the PCV's firmware in the process :rolleyes:

All seems well, shifting seems a bit smoother or clutch engagement better not sure how to describe it.

Of course my first thought is they left a vacuum cap off when they did the TB sync but figured that would show up a lot worse in idle.